PDA

View Full Version : AEM CAI questions

fishboy
01-30-2003, 05:56 PM
if i wanted to change the filter that came with my CAI, would that change the properties/velocity of the intake? and i was wondering if anybody got a filter with their AEM that did not fit snug over the piping.

i am wondering because i wanted to put another filter on it (the k&n xstream) and the guy said that it would actually lose power because the filter that came with it was specially designed for the intake. and now i'm thinking well my CAI came with a filter that didn't fit snug and i had to get a rubber tube that slid over the piping then slid the filter over that and i might not be getting the full effect of the CAI. does this matter or am i getting wrong information and being a bitch about it.:D i think my car pulls alright, but i just can't help but think it could pull better. feel free to call me a fuckshit if i am being one.

myeverlovinsir
01-30-2003, 06:04 PM
I found that the K&N replacement filter does you no good. It costs much more than an AEM replacement filter and I didn't see any benifits from it. It works but is not as good as the AEM filter performance wise. If you think the AEM filter does not fit, call them about it. I also found that the K&N filter cleaner kit is great for cleaning the AEM filter or any other filter for that matter, but this is the only filter cleaning kit I have tired. hth.:)

fishboy
01-30-2003, 06:18 PM
so i should just buy the k&n that came with my aem then? i spoke with some guy from aem and he said that it was strange that i got a filter that didn't fit snug, but it has been a while since i bought it and probably don't have the recepit anymore so i think i would just go ahead and get a replacement one or just stick with mine. the k&n xtream is a new filter that has a filter on the top of the cone also so it takes air in from the top and its sides, kinda like the rs akimoto funnel ram, so i thought that that would be a cool upgrade to the intake. who knows i might just try it. thanks again man i think i should just pm you from now on.:D

oooo the xtreammmm...

http://www.knfilters.com/images/xtsream-clampon.jpg http://www.knfilters.com/images/xstreamuniv.jpg

designed for the serious racers they said;)

myeverlovinsir
01-30-2003, 06:22 PM
Yeah, but the AEM is a propreitary product and is not affiliated with K&N. The part numbs are totally diff. Will try to dig them up for you. AEM designes their own filters.

fishboy
01-30-2003, 06:29 PM
really? mine came with a k&n. at least i think it did. it has been so long since i looked down there.

myeverlovinsir
01-30-2003, 06:39 PM
The K&N replacement I tried was p/n E-2429, this one fits in the stock air box.

The AEM CAI comes with AEM filter p/n 21-202.

hth.;)

fishboy
01-30-2003, 06:46 PM
cool. yeah i think i did get an AEM filter with it. i remember it was black and purple like the k&ns so i just automatically assumed. i think i want to try the xtream or an rs akimoto funnel ram just to see if it works, but we'll see. 35 for a replacement filter sounds better than around 80 for the funnel ram.

civic hatch boi
01-30-2003, 07:27 PM
really??? this whole i thought the aem came with k&n filters toO!!!

norcalSI
01-30-2003, 09:07 PM
actually aem and k&n helped each other design a filter for aem...it's just a k&n with aem name on it... I got this off of optauto.com

"AEM has teamed up with K&N Filters to make the best intake system on the market even better. Our new K&N filter element improves performance and features a one-piece design that eases installation. This unique filter design has an air horn built into the base and is exclusive only to AEM induction systems."

hope that helps:o

myeverlovinsir
01-31-2003, 07:44 AM
The K&N replacement filter for the AEM CAI is p/n RE-0930.
The K&N filter was priced out @ 60 CAD. Much less than the AEM replacement filter which is near 160 CAD. I did not realize AEM charged so much for a replacement.

I looked at the xtreem end capped filters and am gonna try the inverted conical endcap instead (larger surface area). The p/n is RR-3001 which fits the AEM CAI. This one was priced at 119 CAD w/ taxes.

Will post some pics of the RR-3001 Filter later.

...hth :D

myeverlovinsir
01-31-2003, 09:58 AM
pic.

myeverlovinsir
01-31-2003, 10:00 AM
Inside pic.

kenis138
01-31-2003, 11:07 AM
I was under the impression that the filter that came with the AEM CAI was a permanent piece, am I wrong?

myeverlovinsir
01-31-2003, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by kenis138
I was under the impression that the filter that came with the AEM CAI was a permanent piece, am I wrong?

It is, but I want to see if I can get any gains from the swap with this particular K&N filter design. Also this way I can always have one handy that is clean as well. Not recommended if your concerned about costs.;)

fishboy
01-31-2003, 11:45 AM
yeah that is excatly what i want to do. i want to swap filters to see if i can get any more gains, but one guy i talked to said that the CAI might actually loose power because the intake is designed precisely for that filter. i'm gonna swap filters anyway just to see for myself. and if everlovinsir is doing it then it can't be bad.:D hey that is a nice filter by the way.

myeverlovinsir
01-31-2003, 03:38 PM
side by side pic 1 of 2

myeverlovinsir
01-31-2003, 03:39 PM
Side by side pic 2 of 2

myeverlovinsir
01-31-2003, 03:40 PM
installed pic

Jpax
01-31-2003, 04:26 PM
I perfur the K@n my self..:D Looks good

myeverlovinsir
01-31-2003, 04:57 PM
tks, gonna run this on the dyno to make sure, but after driving it around for a bit, it seems almost the same, maybe even slighly smoother. Gonna clean the AEM to have it available for the dyno tomorrow. The diameter on the neck is larger and when I swap to test the Injen CAI it should fit no problem. Will let you guys know.
Tomorrow is hondata day at the dyno for 3 EP's so the verdict is closing upon us with respect to hondata and mods. mucho fun!:D

fishboy
01-31-2003, 05:06 PM
cool let us know how the dynos go!!! i really think i want the funnel ram now.:) the k&n looks bigger than the aem. that shouldn't make a diff should it?

myeverlovinsir
01-31-2003, 05:14 PM
Not sure what you mean by "funnel ram" but the top is an inverted conical shape. Here is a link to K&N universal filters.;)
K&N engineering (http://www.knfilters.com/universal/universal.htm)

Btw: Size does matter and surface area contributes to ease of flow and throttle response.

ortedd
01-31-2003, 05:17 PM
It will probably help out, but so little that you won't notice it. Besides the obvious cold air part, CAIs make power with acoustics and intake charge momentum. A better flowing filter won't hurt, but i don't think that there is going to be a noticeable difference.

myeverlovinsir
01-31-2003, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by ortedd
It will probably help out, but so little that you won't notice it. Besides the obvious cold air part, CAIs make power with acoustics and intake charge momentum. A better flowing filter won't hurt, but i don't think that there is going to be a noticeable difference.

Your probably right from what I can tell so far, but it's gonna be needed for the larger 2-3/4" piping on the Injen CAI. The reason I want to test the Injen is because my TB is oversized for the incomming dims on the AEM especially after the TB bore out. Next step after that will be to match the intake manifold diameter to the TB. I have been reading about it on clubrsx and it has been interpreted as a final touch. Nothing to write home about, but am up to trying it. Matching the whole intake system diameters and reducing the sharp edges along the flow are the targets.;)

btw: any increase in dims along the intake will have the same effect as increasing dims in the exhaust. As you may know backpressure is a myth, and highest flow velocity is what you should aim for. An example would be how an increased diameter in the exhaust over say 2.25" is a hinderance to flow rate in the exhaust. Velocity is the key. I think this is the main reason the smaller diameter in the AEM intake works well, but it's not matched with my TB. Never hurts to test.:angel:

fishboy
01-31-2003, 05:55 PM
rs akimoto is an old school brand that is still around apparently. i was surprised to find this out. they offer a filter called the funnel ram and it is designed the same way. yeah i'm sure it won't make a huge difference in gains or anything, but every little bit helps.:) i hope the injen works out for you. damn you are so ahead of me. here is a pic of the funnel ram. this is the open top version.

http://www.racingsportsakimoto.com/DSC00275.jpg