PDA

View Full Version : Anyone get this weird sound when you get up above 120mph???????

02SilverSiHB
07-25-2002, 07:12 AM
Weird shit happended today. I was late for work, so I was hauling ass. I only have 400 miles on the car, but hey, I gotta get to work. I was in 5th and was getting up to 100mph, once I hit 120mph I got this weird faint horn sound coming from what I thought was the speakers. I had the stereo off and the windows up. No mods. I heard that over in Japan, they have horns that sound when you start going over a certain speed, versus speed limiters like us. So anyone else have this happen?

DynaSpeed
07-25-2002, 07:28 AM
No...

I also took it at those speeds with the same miles and nothing like that.

02SilverSiHB
07-25-2002, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by DynaSpeed
No...

I also took it at those speeds with the same miles and nothing like that.
strange. maybe my radio was on, and the volume was down a little, and I didn't know. Could have have been some radio interference. I was going by some areas with dishes and crap...military stuff. God I hope that's all it was

fishboy
07-25-2002, 09:37 AM
wind noise maybe? i used to get that alot when it got windy and it did sound like a faint horn.

stingyboy
07-25-2002, 09:50 AM
did you check your rearviews, maybe those were sirens you were hearing. :p

02SilverSiHB
07-25-2002, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by stingyboy
did you check you rearviews, maybe those were sirens you were hearing. :p
hahahaha, funny :D
I heard it again, at 80mph. I think it's just wind noise. Could be that I'm not used to hatches. Plus I am 4X4'n right now :D I need to lower this poor thing. I'm thinking about sprint springs now. I measured the wheel gap last night....2 7/8" gap in the front and 3" gap in the rear. That's nuts!

02si
07-25-2002, 12:57 PM
I got that noise one day while I was parked
Sounded like the speakers
Scared me at first
then after driving a whil
went away
curious

02SilverSiHB
07-25-2002, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by 02si
I got that noise one day while I was parked
Sounded like the speakers
Scared me at first
then after driving a whil
went away
curious
it only happens above 80mph. I think it's the weather stripping on the top of the car, those rubber black strips. I looked at them and they are buldging about 2inches from the front. It's easy to just pull them back. I don't think it should be that easy. I think I'll post this in the defects topic

CleanBlackSi02
07-25-2002, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB

it only happens above 80mph. I think it's the weather stripping on the top of the car, those rubber black strips. I looked at them and they are buldging about 2inches from the front. It's easy to just pull them back. I don't think it should be that easy. I think I'll post this in the defects topic

I think it'd be safe to assume that you're going to get some excess noise in any car going a buck-twenty. ;)

HondaMan
07-25-2002, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB
Weird shit happended today. I was late for work, so I was hauling ass. I only have 400 miles on the car, but hey, I gotta get to work. I was in 5th and was getting up to 100mph, once I hit 120mph I got this weird faint horn sound coming from what I thought was the speakers. I had the stereo off and the windows up. No mods. I heard that over in Japan, they have horns that sound when you start going over a certain speed, versus speed limiters like us. So anyone else have this happen?

I haven't even gone over 90 mph yet! :( But I will this weekend while driving up to Seattle/Everett.

02SilverSiHB
07-25-2002, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by CleanBlackSi02

I think it'd be safe to assume that you're going to get some excess noise in any car going a buck-twenty. ;)
not like this. Wind noise is comin, but this sounds like an indian standing on my car blowing a horn. That's about the best way for me to explain it

m0ns00n
07-25-2002, 03:09 PM
I think I've heard exactly what you described. Its not like a wind whistle but more like a solid, strong banshee-wail.

I had the same thing when I hit around 90 last week.

I *THINK* I had the moonroof cracked open just a notch. I open/closed it and the sound seemed to go away.

I'm with you though, if its not the moonroof its something else thats causing some sounds resonance.

02SilverSiHB
07-25-2002, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by m0ns00n
I think I've heard exactly what you described. Its not like a wind whistle but more like a solid, strong banshee-wail.

I had the same thing when I hit around 90 last week.

I *THINK* I had the moonroof cracked open just a notch. I open/closed it and the sound seemed to go away.

I'm with you though, if its not the moonroof its something else thats causing some sounds resonance.
yeah, that's the sound. Sometimes it happens at 80, sometimes at 100. Just depends. I played with my sunroof while it was happening, and it didn't affect it. I'm aiming at it being those weather strips. I can literally pull back on the weather strips on the top of the car. They should have had some kind of adhesive put on there to keep them in place. I'm waiting for one to go flying off :D