PDA

View Full Version : Major Issues need ephatch's expertise

smokincivic
02-01-2003, 02:19 PM
OK, so I installed my HU, sub and amp and got everything working fine, sounds really good! then I went to Providence (lots of theft issues there) so I thought it would be slick to take the entire HU out of the dash and hide it in the trunk. I get back to my car and put everything back in and I have no power to my HU, also my doors won't lock, I checked under hood fuse 16 (door lock) and interior fuse 8 (Radio ACC) and they are both fine. (actual fuse numbers may be incorrect because I'm at work now and that is from memory). but either way everything is hooked up and fuses are OK, anyone have any ideas on what could be wrong, I don't know where my door lock and my radio ACC tie in but its obviously related, I also checked to see if anything else was affected and everything else appears to work ...any ideas????? :'(

importhonda
02-01-2003, 08:22 PM
get a test light and test for voltage on those wires, if you dont have any, test the fuses... If there is no voltage at those two fuses check the fuses under the hood (If the EP as them, I'm too lazy to look) Just trouble shoot the situation and at least Isolate where the problem is

mechanix59
02-01-2003, 11:02 PM
hey, I got the same problem. If anyone can help please respond soon. Thanx.

Jpax
02-02-2003, 12:04 AM
What head unit are you using? factory? Check your accessory fuse....It sounds like you might have a bad wire harrness. ( akka You wired it wrong)

importhonda
02-02-2003, 12:11 AM
Like I said, pick up a test light, or multi-meter and test the Bat and acc wires

:)

smokincivic
02-02-2003, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by PaXiE
What head unit are you using? factory? Check your accessory fuse....It sounds like you might have a bad wire harrness. ( akka You wired it wrong)

I have the Pioneer DEH7400MP, I'm going to pull out my multimeter tomorrow and I'll post the results of what I found, the only strange part is that everything was working ok until I pulled the dash out for like the 4th time, if I stick both probes of the multi meter on each end of female fuse slot will I get an accurate reading? I know on regular fuses you will but these ones are so damn small? Thanks for the input guys!

smokincivic
02-02-2003, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by mechanix59
hey, I got the same problem. If anyone can help please respond soon. Thanx.

Hye mechanix are you having the same problem directly after install of you HU or did you have everything working fine and then the problem started after you took your dash apart again, I was thinking maybe there is a harness that came unplugged or something

mechanix59
02-02-2003, 09:53 AM
I was driving to work and the radio was off. Next thing i know the radio the radio goes off completely. I smelled some burning after awhile. I got to work and i pulled the dash apart, checked the radio, and it was warm. So i'm late for work and now I can't lock the doors with the remote or the door lock switch. Got home late, checked the fuses, all good. I found out too that the interior lights don't come on with the door open. I'm having all the f*@#ing luck. So now what do I do ? Want to take it to the dealer but I don't think it'll be covered under warranty. I spent all my money on the stereo system( Eclipse Cd5442 reciever, Kicker L5 Sub, KIcker Speakers front/rear, and Kicker Amps). Let me know how your troubleshooting went. I have to go and buy a multimeter or test light.

smokincivic
02-02-2003, 01:02 PM
I'll tell you what just chill until tomorrow when I have a chance to take out my multimeter and I'll take a look and post my results and if I do find the problem I'll post it, I'll give you an update around 12:00 tomorrow and let you know, my radio was also pretty hot when it happened but from past experience its pretty normal for it to get a little warm, however the smell of smoke is trouble, I'll check my interior light thing as I never really use it I just manually put on my lights when I need them

EDIT: ok just checked while on my lunch break and my interior lights dont go on when I open the door either so we definitly have the same problem, but they go on fine if you use the manual switch, if you could (if you beat me to it) check all the other electrical devices ie, power mirror, fog lights if you have them and see if all that works, it'll probably help in troublshooting and post your results, if you dont get around to it I'll just do a full check tomorrow but I'll let you know either way :confused:

mechanix59
02-02-2003, 05:25 PM
hey man just check it out. windows, power mirrors, ac, fan switch, temp control, hazards, cig. lighter, and 12V outlet all work. I borrowed a multimeter, and checked the wiring harness, there's power from the acc. but not the constant battery wire.??? I don't know where else to check. I need a wiring diagram. I'll wait to find out your result tomorrow. Thanx 4 the help.

smokincivic
02-03-2003, 12:11 PM
OK heres the deal, there is no power to the door lock fuse when the key is not in the on position, same with the radio ACC, if you want a temporary fix just to listen to your radio just twist the red (ACC wire) and the yellow (battery wire together and your radio will turn on but only if the key is in the on position and your radio will not hold any memory. Basically anything that requires power when the car is not on we cannot use, we obviously have power to the radio (only if car is on), but if you move to the under the hood fuse box (and check the door lock fuse (fuse 16) there is no power there, and that is only like 10" from the battery .....is there a fuse in the fuse box that is for sending power to devices that need power when the car isn't on, because if there is I would imagine that to be the problem but the manual isn't very clear in that aspect, we need to find out the path of wires from the battery that is in control of sending power when the car is off, maybe we can ask honda but I wouldn't bring your car to honda to have them do it because chances are they will try and void your electrical warranty for screwin with stuff and messin it up, I'll ask my electronics teacher for some info when I go to class tonight and have him take a look at the car and I'll post my results. It'll be around 7:00 your time peace

If any part of this doesn't make sense let me know

Jpax
02-03-2003, 01:05 PM
if all else fails take it back to the dealer.

smokincivic
02-04-2003, 06:43 PM
Hey mechanix I got a sweet pdf from Honda that shows where all the wires are for the remote start, lights, and the radio ACC, post your email address here or send it to prcharbonneau@cvs.com and I'll foward you the PDF! I'm gonna go at it tomorrow now that I have this info, I'll post any results

smokincivic
02-05-2003, 01:06 PM
PROBLEM FIXED!!!!! that PDF was what I needed for sure, my problem was one of the wires that came from the battery supplying constant power had shorted itself out and was exposed, I'll see if I can get pics of the wire up, but I'll have to find someone with a digi cam. If I cant get any pics I'll try to explain best that I can.

mechanix59
02-06-2003, 03:29 PM
Got the email you sent, but how did this help you? I think I'll just wait for your post and pics of the problem. I probably won't look at it until this weekend. It's snowing and really cold. I don't have a warm garage to work in, soI hope it warms up soon.

smokincivic
02-07-2003, 03:20 PM
Sounds like a plan, I'll have use of the digi cam tomorrow so I'll get those pics up asap, the pdf helped because I had no clue where the constant power wire ran

mechanix59
02-13-2003, 09:20 PM
I just looked over my stereo' wires and I could find anything wrong. I'm gonna have to start troubleshooting again from the start. I'll try again tomorrow since it should be warm. But if you have those pics it might help me alot.