PDA

View Full Version : Question on installing a BassLink

JLannoo
02-01-2003, 05:07 PM
I just ordered a Basslink. I paid $265 shipped. I know,I know they have it on Ebay a bit cheaper yadda yadda LOL

Anyways,do I have to run a power line right from the battery?

I already have a power wire going back there for my Sirius radio tuner. Its 3/4 assed from the front power port till I wire it better this spring. Its just too cold out right now to spend much time on it.

What I did was buy one of those ciglighter power extention cords for $3.50,and cut one end off...it looks better then it reads. Wires are hid untill right where it plugs in and it took 3min to install.

Can I just share that power with the basslink,or not. I'm a real novice with subs

CleanBlackSi02
02-03-2003, 11:37 AM
Anybody have any experience with one of these? I was thinking about getting one to boost the stock receiver...

Surprise
02-03-2003, 04:47 PM
You mean like this post (http://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=6983)

JLannoo
02-03-2003, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by Surprise
You mean like this post (http://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=6983)

Yea I did search and read your post. I just wanted to know if I had to run it from the battery or if I could run it off...for example the cig lighter.

Surprise
02-04-2003, 01:53 PM
According to the instruction manual the max current for the amplifier is 12 amps. At the moment I can't remember but I think that the cig lighter is rated at 10 amps max. Add the max current draw of the amplifier with the sat radio tuner and you will have to be replacing a lot of fuses. So to answer your question, yes you will have to run a wire from the battery to the sub. The good news is that with only 12 amps of draw you can get away with using a 10 gauge power wire (easier to hide and might be small enough so that you don

JLannoo
02-04-2003, 03:42 PM
Thank you Sir :)

JLannoo
02-11-2003, 08:57 PM
Well I installed it today,Thanks for the help Surprise.

I went with a 8 gauge amp install kit. Made it easier as it had everything I needed. Installed it using the Foglight gromit as per your post. I Think it sounds great with the stock speakers :)

Bad news is..After doing such a wonderful job at not totally fucking up the dash trim during the radio install awhile back. I done did it in this time. :( Somehow I knicked a corner of the lower trim piece and a bit of the dash it self (that part not so noticable) So I went ahead and ordered the Carbon fiber look kit after talking about doing it for so long. A $100+ goof up

I also sunk the headunit in a bit more,it had been bothering me. Very flush now :)

One question though. I grounded it using the the bolt that holds down the spare. Was that an ok place to do it?

Surprise
02-11-2003, 10:19 PM
As long as the grounding cable has a solid metal to metal contact with enough pressure to insure the contact through the constant vibration of a car you should be fine. If you wanted to you could use a multimeter that has a ground testing program. You basicly (as far as I understand) find a known good ground put a probe on that and the one you are testing. Or you could use an ohm meter and see if you have any resistance. Or you might try testing the voltage at the battery and comparing that value with the voltage at the amp, these numbers should be close.

Where did you install the remote bass knob? Any pics?

Glad to hear that the amp install went well, to bad about the trim though. If it makes you feel any better I took my car into the dealer to fix a rattle, got the car back the rattle is less but every time a shift I can hear a loos screw rolling around:mad: Oh well I have to take the dash apart this weekend anyway.

JLannoo
02-11-2003, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by Surprise
As long as the grounding cable has a solid metal to metal contact with enough pressure to insure the contact through the constant vibration of a car you should be fine.

I was just out there thinking "Ok it sounds good but if it had a better ground would it sound better?" So your saying as long as its working it should be ok? The ground is screwed down tight. I just dont know alot about this stuff.

Where did you install the remote bass knob? Any pics?

I didnt yet,it was getting dark. Its hooked up but just kind of laying there right now :) I do have a digi cam I'll try to take some pics if I can.

Also I didnt mount it upright like you have yours. I mounted it on all fours I just used velcro to keep it from sliding around. Anything I'm giving up by not having it standing upright? I just was not into screwing into anything.

Surprise
02-11-2003, 11:02 PM
A solid ground is always good, if in doubt try it (as long as it doesn't hurt too much stuff). I took my Dremel tool and ground down a decent sized area (the size of a quarter, maybe larger) to bare metal and put a large bolt through it, then covered it with some wd-40 (prevent rust, I hope). Normaly I like using a bolt, but I was unable to find one close enough. If you have a bad ground the system will still work, just with less volume do to resistance and be more prone to have "noise."

I am interested to see how it looks flat, I needed all the space I could get. If anything you will benefit from laying it flat. You are "loading" the panel and with anyluck getting a more efficient subwoofer (I wouldn't place any money on it though). Try moving the subwoofer around, you might be surprised at the results of new locations. I am glad that you are happy with your new purchase

:)