PDA

View Full Version : understeer/oversteer

Vertigo
02-01-2003, 08:45 PM
Common knowlege would state that most FWD cars understeer(push). But my EP oversteer's while taking sharp corners, such as cloverleaf's on the interstate. It's still stock (just bought it). I have pushed the car around these corner's expecting the car to understeer, but i got just the opposite. The ass-end was trying to beat the front-end! I've read some threads about the larger rear sway bars freeing up the car, but my car doesn't need to be any looser. Some of you autocrosser's out there, please give me some feed back. Could it be because of the factory spring rate? It's been buging the crap out of me. This is the only FWD car that i have driven that understeer's. Please help me out with this one. Finally, does anyone else have this problem?

chet
02-02-2003, 03:36 AM
I had the exact same thing happen to me when I would accelerate through turns. The ass end would fly around. I have Progress swaybars on rear and front. Holds tight now. I dig the ride. Also have Progress springs 2" drop.

02SilverSiHB
02-02-2003, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Vertigo
Common knowlege would state that most FWD cars understeer(push). But my EP oversteer's while taking sharp corners, such as cloverleaf's on the interstate. It's still stock (just bought it). I have pushed the car around these corner's expecting the car to understeer, but i got just the opposite. The ass-end was trying to beat the front-end! I've read some threads about the larger rear sway bars freeing up the car, but my car doesn't need to be any looser. Some of you autocrosser's out there, please give me some feed back. Could it be because of the factory spring rate? It's been buging the crap out of me. This is the only FWD car that i have driven that understeer's. Please help me out with this one. Finally, does anyone else have this problem?
I actually noticed that my car would do that a few times on certain curves. I thought maybe it was some grease in the road. I now have a RSX rear sway and rear tie bar, I'm very satisfied with my setup, so I don't really complain about understeer. I just need new shocks and wheels/tires

Vertigo
02-02-2003, 04:45 PM
Well, i plan on getting the neuspeed race springs and the progress rear tie bar and sway bar combo. Just wondering if that will calm the car down. But, thanks for the info.

02SilverSiHB
02-02-2003, 08:01 PM
Well, i plan on getting the neuspeed race springs and the progress rear tie bar and sway bar combo. Just wondering if that will calm the car down. But, thanks for the info.
giving the car a bigger rear sway bar will give you more oversteer.

chunky
02-02-2003, 08:15 PM
the reason why it will do it on interstate ramps is b/c they are often sloped.

anytime you are going downhill, there is more weight up front to begin with, so there is a corresponding reduction in traction for the rear end, which makes it more prone to swinging out.

try doing it on flat land, and you'll probably get a modicum of understeer. not much mind you.

right now i have totally bald rear tires, and my back end will rotate nicely around almost any turn. but once i get new tires, it'll go back to having the slight underteer bias.

simann
02-02-2003, 08:50 PM
Hey Chet,
Hoew does the full Progress setup FEEL? Is it bouncy, stiff, or like stock but lower?

Suk02Si
02-03-2003, 01:37 AM
the only way our ass end will come around is if our weight is transferred to the front somehow. Either later breaking to pitch the car into a turn causing the rear to come around or three wheel, or like chunky said-if the road is sloped.

chet
02-03-2003, 03:07 AM
Its a little stiff but not like your buddys S10. you know what i mean. It does have room to move though. Definitely ask around. This isthe first auto i have ever dropped. So the feel, is hard to compare to anything else. It still has plent of spring in its step. But not soft like the factory ride.

Does that help at all?

mental
02-03-2003, 12:33 PM
Hell yeah i know what ya mean! mine does that all the time! and its funny that you say it does it on clover leafs! notice next time when your going on the side that goes down hill the rear stay planted but on the up hill one it wants swing! and whats your fastest around these corners i have pushed mine to almost 65 and my ep is all stock! man those things are fun!

simann
02-03-2003, 03:41 PM
Thanks Chet, i know about S10 rides, Hahaha.
They sound good enough for me, I gonna get em!
with sway bar kit too!:cool:

Vertigo
02-03-2003, 07:06 PM
Ya, you are right. I forgot to take the way the road slopes into consideration. The cloverleaf's here in nashville are weird. They start out turning slow, but get tighter as you start to merge. I have been taking them at about 50-65 mph. When i drive the car in to hot and hit the brakes it upsets the car more. Almost to the point of sucking the seat up my ass.:o

simann
02-03-2003, 07:09 PM
Hey Vertigo, you live in Nashville?
I live in Murfreesboro. Hows the Si scene in Nashville?:cool:

Vertigo
02-03-2003, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by simann
Hey Vertigo, you live in Nashville?
I live in Murfreesboro. Hows the Si scene in Nashville?:cool:
I've only seen one other EP in town. There is abunch of 99-00 si's around. Murfreesboro only 30 min. away from my house. PM or e-mail me if ya come to town and will hang out. Question- Do you know Brandon at Superior Auto in Mount Juliet?

chunky
02-03-2003, 10:02 PM
Ya, you are right. I forgot to take the way the road slopes into consideration. The cloverleaf's here in nashville are weird. They start out turning slow, but get tighter as you start to merge. I have been taking them at about 50-65 mph. When i drive the car in to hot and hit the brakes it upsets the car more. Almost to the point of sucking the seat up my ass.:o

having to brake mid turn is one of the worst things.

braking = weight transfer to the front = back end is more likely to rotate, and will rotate more violently b/c the weight transfer is sudden.

It would be better to just ease off the gas, let the back end gently slide out, and then get back on the gas once the new cornering angle is established.