PDA

View Full Version : Oil Filter Wrench--what size?

tkm
02-01-2003, 09:48 PM
Need to buy an oil filter wrench for the oem oil filter. Anyone know exactly what size it is (in metric or sae--doesn't matter). Going to a parts store because Honda dealer is closed on the weekend.

Thanks.

JSIR
02-01-2003, 09:55 PM
Its a 64mm fit mesured on inside diameter of wrench, 16 sided. Only place I ever heard having the right size was Pep Boys, some of the members bought ones over there that fit. I bought a few different ones, and I always ended up getting ones that were just slightly too large, and they would always slip. I finally just bought one from the dealer despite the crazy cost.

KrakHor9
02-01-2003, 11:34 PM
i had a wrench that is universal, it tightens down on the filter as you loosen it with your ratchet attached to it.
after i got the freakin OEM filter off, i put on an aftermarket one, and i dont have to worry now, i can you the size 0 one...

JSIR
02-02-2003, 06:09 PM
correction needed, the filter wrench opening is 64mm inside diameter, 16 sided. sorry about the error.

Joey

tkm
02-03-2003, 12:14 AM
Autozone had a cheap ($3.50) filter wrench that appeared to fit good on the oem filter that I took in.

While it may have slipped a little when removing the one on the car, it still brought it off. Who cares if I screw up the one I am taking off. I put the new one on hand-tight anyways (with rubber gloves for good torque). Although the filter on the EP seemed to screw on tight without much play involved. I don't think it let me take the filter a 3/4 rotation after contact with the block.

And Honda sure put the filter in a sh!tty place. I thought the B series was bad until I looked under the EP.

ep_k20a3
03-04-2003, 06:05 AM
I never needed the wrench, i just reached in from above, got a good grip and gave it hell. You can even get to it from under and use 2 hands if you need too.