PDA

View Full Version : Header Install Torquing Sequence?

lewjay
02-02-2003, 10:24 AM
I'm planning to install my HP Racing header. I need to know what the torque sequence is for the bolts. Can somebody help me? Thanks.

myeverlovinsir
02-02-2003, 10:29 AM
I dont think there is any particular sequence, just tighten them down snug on the head and go back ~ 1-2 weeks after for a final tightening. If you wanna get fancy start tightening from the inside bolts and work your way outward. Someone with a shop manual may have a sequence for you and the specific torque loads. 15-20 ft-lb should be fine (wrist tight).
I have swapped a couple so far on the EP and have no problems.
hth;)

JSIR
02-02-2003, 12:39 PM
do the head flange bolts/nuts first working inside to out criss cross fashion. They call for 34 ft lbs but it is too tight to get a torque wrench in there, just do it tight as you can get it without cranking on them.

Do the spring bolts and support bracket bolts second (where it connects to the downpipe), altering side to side as you tighten them so they go in evenly. Just tighten them until they bottom out - they call for 16 ft lbs which isnt much. Use anti-sieze compound on these bolts, so the plating doesnt bind them up upon removal. They are a major bitch if the plating material peels off and binds them up. It happened to me on that header.

good luck.

lewjay
02-02-2003, 02:35 PM
Thanks guys! Appreciate the help.:)

02SilverSiHB
02-02-2003, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by JSIR
do the head flange bolts/nuts first working inside to out criss cross fashion. They call for 34 ft lbs but it is too tight to get a torque wrench in there, just do it tight as you can get it without cranking on them.

Do the spring bolts and support bracket bolts second (where it connects to the downpipe), altering side to side as you tighten them so they go in evenly. Just tighten them until they bottom out - they call for 16 ft lbs which isnt much. Use anti-sieze compound on these bolts, so the plating doesnt bind them up upon removal. They are a major bitch if the plating material peels off and binds them up. It happened to me on that header.

good luck.
same thing as most cars :) I did that without a shop manual.

lewjay
02-02-2003, 10:53 PM
Well, changed that sucker in about 2 1/2 hours. Busted 1 bolt, but who cares. :D I just installed an AEM Cai yesterday so I can't really say I "feel" any power improvement. At higher RPMS, it's certainly a lot louder now.

I was afraid it would get too loud, but under normal driving conditions, it sounds almost stock.

Oh, there's 1 weird thing I noticed. After my first short trip around the block I let the car idle a bit with the hood open. Just so I can air out the fumes from the anti-seize. And while I was marveling at what a great job I did (ahem :o ), I noticed little electronic buzzing noises coming from the front passenger side of the engine compartment. It was weird...short bursts of "psst psst" noises. After about 10 minutes it stopped.

What was I hearing? Was that sounds of the ecu "learning"? Anybody have some insight on this?

Oh yeah, I was able to torque the bolts correctly. The black little universal extender helped in creating some clearance. Thanks again guys.

02SilverSiHB
02-03-2003, 05:17 AM
Originally posted by lewjay
Well, changed that sucker in about 2 1/2 hours. Busted 1 bolt, but who cares. :D I just installed an AEM Cai yesterday so I can't really say I "feel" any power improvement. At higher RPMS, it's certainly a lot louder now.

I was afraid it would get too loud, but under normal driving conditions, it sounds almost stock.

Oh, there's 1 weird thing I noticed. After my first short trip around the block I let the car idle a bit with the hood open. Just so I can air out the fumes from the anti-seize. And while I was marveling at what a great job I did (ahem :o ), I noticed little electronic buzzing noises coming from the front passenger side of the engine compartment. It was weird...short bursts of "psst psst" noises. After about 10 minutes it stopped.

What was I hearing? Was that sounds of the ecu "learning"? Anybody have some insight on this?

Oh yeah, I was able to torque the bolts correctly. The black little universal extender helped in creating some clearance. Thanks again guys.
did you bust one of those bolts that holds the collector to that bracket? I snapped one of those in half :) oh yeah that sound is...I have no idea

fishboy
02-03-2003, 11:30 AM
i put my header in on friday and my car feels better. just a CAI doesn't cut it anymore. i feel the torque alright. my car isn't as sluggish at the lower rpms anymore. i love it.:)

edit: and that noise... ???? i have no idea.

my breather tube has been spitting out alot of oil. i don't know if it is related to the header, but there is quite a bit of oil where once there wasn't.

lewjay
02-04-2003, 04:00 AM
02SilverSiHB: Yeah it's one of those bolts. We're buff I guess:D .

fishboy: You know what, I'm feeling the same thing now. The more I drive it. I'm around 4.5K when before I'm usually at around 3K. The sluggishness is GONE.:eek: No oil being spewed.... YET. I hope it stays that way.

So you guys heard the psst psst sound too right? Weird shit....

fishboy
02-04-2003, 01:10 PM
dude i love my header. should have gotten it a while ago.:) can't wait for exhaust now. i'm thinking maybe that sound is the access ceramic coating or maybe some oil or grease burning off, maybe? i don't know.

02SilverSiHB
02-04-2003, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by lewjay
02SilverSiHB: Yeah it's one of those bolts. We're buff I guess:D .

fishboy: You know what, I'm feeling the same thing now. The more I drive it. I'm around 4.5K when before I'm usually at around 3K. The sluggishness is GONE.:eek: No oil being spewed.... YET. I hope it stays that way.

So you guys heard the psst psst sound too right? Weird shit....
yeah, I couldn't believe it when that bolt snapped in half. That psst psst sound you here, that's while you are driving? Might be a leak in the header somewhere....

sean
03-06-2003, 04:10 PM
those of you that installed the header yourselves--did you install it mostly from underneath the car or over the hood area, or both?

did you disconnect the cat and all the other exhaust equipment to make way?

why do so many people have different torque specs? only one can be just right and not too loose or tight, so anybody with a shop manual for our car know what it says on the amount?

what brand is hp? how bout comptech's header? thanks guys.

lewjay
03-09-2003, 03:24 AM
Mostly from underneath the car.

No need to disconnect the cat.

JSIR has the right specs.

HP is for Hurricane Power.

http://www.hpracing.com

Don't know much about comptech, except it's $$$.

HighinTheSi
02-29-2004, 11:06 PM
I was wondering how much you paid for the header and if its the header for the rsx that you have 2 buy because i see it only for that car, i cant seem 2 find it for the ephatch,do you feel a nice power differnce? thankyou