PDA

View Full Version : headers for our si

jmexcur
02-02-2003, 01:55 PM
hey guys me and my buddy have been looking at the stock header on our cars we both own 2002 si's and the stock header looks realy beefy almost like the only restricted part of the system is the midpipe for the people who have done headers have you seen any noticible gains or should i just switch out the midpipe before spending 200+ dollars on a header Thanks in advance for your input

myeverlovinsir
02-02-2003, 02:12 PM
Welcome to the site, one thing to remember is alot has been covered here, always search before starting new threads.

Read this (http://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=3690);)

jmexcur
02-02-2003, 02:50 PM
cool thanks for the link. Ok just got my tax return back and i m buying a dc sports cold air intake and dc sports twin canister exhaust and possibly a dc sports header if money allowes should i switch to a 2.25 in midpipe. if so does that have to be made or is there anyone selling that for our civics. also on a side note if there are any ephatch members in New hampshire areas pm cause i am interseting in starting a new hampshire chapter thanks guys

S800Racer
02-02-2003, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by jmexcur
should i switch to a 2.25 in midpipe. if so does that have to be made or is there anyone selling that for our civics.

Once again, use the "search". The word "midpipe" will link you to LOTS of info on the subject.

02blksi
02-02-2003, 07:42 PM
Alright alright i think he gets the point about searching, anyways IMO dont bother spending the money on a header upgrade. The OEM header is GREAT IMO SS, tubular, etc. If it was me spending the money id just for now do I/E and if i really wanted something that was as good as oem quality i would look into buying the rsx-s header and modifying the exhaust to accept it.

Honda has come a long way since those cast manifolds. IMO -- Just my .2$

--I dynoed my car with just a AEM CAI and 2.25 crush bent non resonated midpipe to apexi N1 mufffler.. yielding me 130 ftlbs and 150 whp ......

02SilverSiHB
02-02-2003, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by 02blksi
Alright alright i think he gets the point about searching, anyways IMO dont bother spending the money on a header upgrade. The OEM header is GREAT IMO SS, tubular, etc. If it was me spending the money id just for now do I/E and if i really wanted something that was as good as oem quality i would look into buying the rsx-s header and modifying the exhaust to accept it.

--I dynoed my car with just a AEM CAI and 2.25 crush bent non resonated midpipe to apexi N1 mufffler.. yielding me 130 ftlbs and 150 whp ......
not bad of a gain, I'm sitting at 146whp with my cheap ebay intake and hp header :)

tkm
02-03-2003, 12:05 AM
How much weight difference is there between the oem header and an aftermarket piece, like the DC or something?

If it is substantial, removing ~20lbs off the front of the car is always a good thing.

02SilverSiHB
02-03-2003, 05:15 AM
Originally posted by tkm
How much weight difference is there between the oem header and an aftermarket piece, like the DC or something?

If it is substantial, removing ~20lbs off the front of the car is always a good thing.
I don't think so, I'm about to take my hp one off and put the stock one back on (going away for awhile, so my wife won't need that extra power ;) ) so I'll see how much of a difference, but I don't there is any

myeverlovinsir
02-03-2003, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by tkm

The diff. weights have been covered.

DC sports header = 9lbs
OEM header = 10lbs

As I mentioned before, do not expect any weight advantages with a header swap. The new layout of the K series just won't allow for it. B series had much more wrap around mass.

hth

S800Racer
02-03-2003, 09:03 AM

Honda's expertise with extracting HP by paying attention to exhaust systems goes waaaay back. Tuned systems on motorcycles in the 50's & 60's won a lot of world championships for Honda. Their first cars, the S500, S600 & S800 used a very exotic 4-into-2 tuned header with equal length runners, mandrel bent, tubular steel. The primary header tube lengths were around 30 inches, creating a real "bundle of snakes" system. The other cars Honda produced in the '60s were Formula 1 V-12s. My point here is that making a good exhaust manifold is not a new trick for Honda production cars or race cars.

I'm not familiar with the cast manifolds you mention, I assume that they were used on more recent high-volume, low cost models. Honda knows that won't cut it in today's market.

SiCivic2k2
02-03-2003, 11:31 PM

Wow! I'm impressed. That's the exact same set-up I have. I wonder if my car is putting that much to the wheels? :D

lewjay
02-04-2003, 03:46 AM
Originally posted by myeverlovinsir

The diff. weights have been covered.

DC sports header = 9lbs
OEM header = 10lbs

As I mentioned before, do not expect any weight advantages with a header swap. The new layout of the K series just won't allow for it. B series had much more wrap around mass.

hth Yeah... unless my pos scale is totally off, the HP Racing header is a tad over 10lbs.