PDA

View Full Version : tire pressures and brake fade?

S800Racer
02-02-2003, 07:13 PM
I will be going to Virginia International Raceway to participate in a lapping session in a couple of weeks. What tire pressures work well for track work? I have the stock wheels & tires. The only mod to the suspension is progress springs (2" drop).

Also, for anyone that has done any track lapping, did you experience any brake fade?

chunky
02-02-2003, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by S800Racer
I will be going to Virginia International Raceway to participate in a lapping session in a couple of weeks. What tire pressures work well for track work? I have the stock wheels & tires. The only mod to the suspension is progress springs (2" drop).

Also, for anyone that has done any track lapping, did you experience any brake fade?

stock brakes fade horribly.

I strongly suggest you get new pads as the heat tolerance of the stock brake pads are NOT sufficent for repeated heavy use.

JSIR
02-02-2003, 11:09 PM
I run the recommended high speed pressures listed in the manual for the fronts, but I run them all around on all four tires, so 35 psi all around. Stock tires are crappy but sometimes you have to make due with what you got. I did one event on them.

Stock break pads fade in street use, so at the track they are even worse. A good aftermarket pad transforms the car's breaking tremendously, good fluid is a plus as well. Both are relatively inexpensive mods. with good benefits.

let us know how you make out. last summer I did one event on stock suspension, stock tires, stock brakes and fluid, and stock engine. It was pretty challenging to say the least, the car was pretty sloppy overall. I am getting ready for a second event in coming months but I've upgraded quite a bit since my last event, the car feels like a totally different animal now, I may have some serious fun this time out.

Ive now gone with Yokohama AVS ES100 tires, RSX-S rear anti-roll bar, Eibach Prokit springs, DC sports rear lower tie bar, front brake pads, new brake fluid. Rear brake pads to be done next as well as front upper strut bar before the event. This is an awesome combination.

good luck

Joey

bioevolve
02-03-2003, 12:05 AM
get ebc pads in yellow or blue levels, check them out at www.ebcbrakes.com

chunky
02-03-2003, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by JSIR
I run the recommended high speed pressures listed in the manual for the fronts, but I run them all around on all four tires, so 35 psi all around. Stock tires are crappy but sometimes you have to make due with what you got. I did one event on them.

Stock break pads fade in street use, so at the track they are even worse. A good aftermarket pad transforms the car's breaking tremendously, good fluid is a plus as well. Both are relatively inexpensive mods. with good benefits.

let us know how you make out. last summer I did one event on stock suspension, stock tires, stock brakes and fluid, and stock engine. It was pretty challenging to say the least, the car was pretty sloppy overall. I am getting ready for a second event in coming months but I've upgraded quite a bit since my last event, the car feels like a totally different animal now, I may have some serious fun this time out.

Ive now gone with Yokohama AVS ES100 tires, RSX-S rear anti-roll bar, Eibach Prokit springs, DC sports rear lower tie bar, front brake pads, new brake fluid. Rear brake pads to be done next as well as front upper strut bar before the event. This is an awesome combination.

good luck

Joey

how do you like those avs es100's?

and what size did you get them in?

S800Racer
02-03-2003, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by bioevolve
get ebc pads in yellow or blue levels, check them out at www.ebcbrakes.com

I looked at EBC's site. The yellow and blue seem to be "track use" pads. Do they work on the street also? They have a red pad that looks like it would be good for street and track.

esmith13
02-03-2003, 08:38 AM
I looked at EBC also...

Looks like Green or Red would be best for non-track goers...

Any1 have a part number for which ones fit our Si's??

Tire Rack is a dealer for EBC and they have record of our car existing.... They say their is no EBC break pads for our car...

Do we use a pad that is the same for any of the older or more common civics????

chunky
02-03-2003, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by esmith13
I looked at EBC also...

Looks like Green or Red would be best for non-track goers...

Any1 have a part number for which ones fit our Si's??

Tire Rack is a dealer for EBC and they have record of our car existing.... They say their is no EBC break pads for our car...

Do we use a pad that is the same for any of the older or more common civics????

the front pads for a 2001 and up civic coupe will work. The rear pads for an rsx will work.

Stay away from EBC IMO. the green stuff will fade badly during track use, and the red stuff doesn't work well at all when cold.

I have the porterfield r4s pads on my car right now, they work great even in the really cold weather we're having now, and they didn't fade back when it was still hot and i'd used them for repeated stops from high speeds.

S800Racer
02-03-2003, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by chunky

the front pads for a 2001 and up civic coupe will work. The rear pads for an rsx will work.

Stay away from EBC IMO. the green stuff will fade badly during track use, and the red stuff doesn't work well at all when cold.

I have the porterfield r4s pads on my car right now, they work great even in the really cold weather we're having now, and they didn't fade back when it was still hot and i'd used them for repeated stops from high speeds.

Thanks, that's what I need to know. I want a pad that won't fade during racetrack use but will also work cold, on the street. Have you run those porterfield pads on a racetrack?

DocofMind
02-03-2003, 11:01 AM
The EBC pads are excellent pads, well, only the green IMO and they are not for the track :)

Try to get a set of Axxis Ultimates for a 90 - 97 honda accord and have the face shaved 2 mm. The pad is exactly the same, the EP pad is 16mm as oppossed to the 18mm of the old accord pad :)

If you need more info, let me know and i ll be glad to help you any way i can.

chunky
02-03-2003, 01:54 PM

Thanks, that's what I need to know. I want a pad that won't fade during racetrack use but will also work cold, on the street. Have you run those porterfield pads on a racetrack?

i've used them for auto-x, and they've served me well during high speed use on the highway.

they are not a true track pad, but they have a very high temperature range compared to most other street/strip pads and require a LOT of braking to induce any fade. The benefit is that you can drive to and from the track on them as they are excellent even when cold.

chunky
02-03-2003, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by DocofMind
The EBC pads are excellent pads, well, only the green IMO and they are not for the track :)

Try to get a set of Axxis Ultimates for a 90 - 97 honda accord and have the face shaved 2 mm. The pad is exactly the same, the EP pad is 16mm as oppossed to the 18mm of the old accord pad :)

If you need more info, let me know and i ll be glad to help you any way i can.

aren't the axxis ultimates also availible for the 2001+ civic coupe? those are a direct fitment that do not require shaving the pad

JSIR
02-03-2003, 08:53 PM

how do you like those avs es100's?

and what size did you get them in?

I can't say enough good things about the Yokohama AVS ES100's, I love them. I stuck with the stock size 195-60-15 on stock rims, but they are a much wider tire than stock despite the same rating. These are not the ultimate race track tire, but a damn good overall tire. Not much in its price range that can compare IMO. hth.

DocofMind
02-03-2003, 09:32 PM

aren't the axxis ultimates also availible for the 2001+ civic coupe? those are a direct fitment that do not require shaving the pad

From what i remember, they are not available. I will double check again but i am almost a hundred percent positive.

The part number you are looking for is a FMSI D764. That is the correct number which i believe is still not available through Axxis. Stupid really when you consider the note i made above. I ll check again tomorrow morning and let you guys know.

The EBC Green and Axxis Ultimates are not even comparable. As i said before, the Green are a great pad. Very OEM like in feel and response but fade like crazy when pushed. They also have a very low lifespan. The ultimates on teh otherhand have a much higher fade rating but also provide an extremely low coeffecient of friction meaning that they dont need to be heated up at all. They do dust a little more than the Green but does that matter?

chunky
02-03-2003, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by JSIR

I can't say enough good things about the Yokohama AVS ES100's, I love them. I stuck with the stock size 195-60-15 on stock rims, but they are a much wider tire than stock despite the same rating. These are not the ultimate race track tire, but a damn good overall tire. Not much in its price range that can compare IMO. hth.

how about heat tolerance?

well, if you're in canada, that's probably not a concern as I doubt the pavement ever gets as scorching hot as it does here in GA.

I agree that they seem to be an excellent bang for the buck tire. I'm most likely going with them in 225/50/15 :-D

they'll serve dual duty as my street tires and auto-x tires, sts.

Anything's gotta be better than stock, but I wish i had the $$$ to get the bridgestone s-03's

DocofMind
02-04-2003, 09:34 AM
Well it seems the world does go on without me :)

Axxis has released the pads for the EP in the Ultimate line. As i said before, the part number is a D764, or a 109.07640.

Funny thing is they are even priced below the EBC's. If any of you guys need any more info or an outlet to get these or the EBCs, let me know. I carry both :)

S800Racer
02-04-2003, 09:36 AM
As i said before, the Green are a great pad. .... fade like crazy when pushed .... very low lifespan.

Tell me that part that makes them a "great" pad again....;)

S800Racer
02-04-2003, 09:46 AM
My plans to run some hot laps at VIR just got cancelled. The group I was going to run with is a vintage car group but I am good friends with the organizer and he OK'd my entry. That is until he read the fine print in their insurance that only covered "competition cars". :mad:

Ironically, if I had a bone stock 1950 MGTD with no roll bar I could go and kill myself in a "competition car" but I am barred from lapping in closed road car with 3 point belts and airbags.

My thanks to all who responded with information. Rest assured it will be put to good use when I get another chance to put my "silver bullet" through her paces on the track.

DocofMind
02-04-2003, 11:51 AM

Tell me that part that makes them a "great" pad again....;)

I obviously realize that you are joking, but i guess i was not very clear in what i meant.

The EBC pads ARE great for a variety of reasons. First of all, they dont dust. Second, they dont make any noise. Third, they have a low coefficient of friction.

These sound like characteristics of what most pads should have, but with todays ever growing market of aftermarket manufacturers, these qualities are hard to come by. Trust me, i see it everyday :)

Most of the big brake kits that i manufacture, I put together with EBC Green pads. They work very well in these applications for the exact reasons i listed above.
For those that go to the track like myself, I use Hawk. I would also use the Ultimates but unfortunately they are not available in specialty applications.

S800Racer
02-04-2003, 01:30 PM

The EBC pads ARE great for a variety of reasons. First of all, they dont dust. Second, they dont make any noise. Third, they have a low coefficient of friction.

These sound like characteristics of what most pads should have, but with todays ever growing market of aftermarket manufacturers, these qualities are hard to come by. Trust me, i see it everyday :)

For those that go to the track like myself, I use Hawk. I would also use the Ultimates but unfortunately they are not available in specialty applications.
I understand - great street pads do not make great track pads and vice versa. I use Hawk pads on my vintage race car ('67 Honda S800) and I received several good recommendations for the Hawk pads for track use with the Si.