PDA

View Full Version : STI or EVO?

tsa1
02-02-2003, 09:48 PM
well, to date i have test driven the RSX type-s, civic si, and wrx. if i had to choose between the si or rsx i would choose the rsx. i dont know but the si seems tp be kinda slow, it gets quick throttle response but it doesnt sems to move fast( maybe its the gear ratios). the wrx is by far the fastest but i dont trust that 5-speed tranny. even Fuji has admitted the tranny was a flawed design.now my ?.... should it be EVO or STI.i know about insurance and all but that is the least of my worries. probably each dealer is only gonna get like 1-5 of the sti or evo, they prolly wouldnt have one lying around on the lot. so i'm going to put a deposit on one but which... maybe you guys can help

Thanks

2k2civicSi
02-02-2003, 10:32 PM
i like the evo but but the wrx is prolly a better car

IceD out N CALI
02-02-2003, 10:38 PM
i'd take the evo :)

sicivic2002
02-02-2003, 10:46 PM
EVO no doubt about it, wouldn't even have to think twice. Especially since I saw the Evolution 8 and the STi yesterday at my local auto show.

Mugen Power
02-02-2003, 11:27 PM
STi, no doubt. I always would have and always will choose that over the Evo, especially since the US STi is gonna trump the Evo like crazy...

swampdonkey
02-03-2003, 08:59 AM
yeah the EVO lost its electronic clutch differentials and a few ponies being translated into Americanese. I think the STi is going to make 280hp when it gets here so it should be as fast and probably faster. Also I question the reliability of Mitsus......they have a bad rep.

I would get teh STi but both are incredible cars

Dunrick
02-03-2003, 09:18 AM
Your in a whole diff price range - I say get a 350z or a s2000....Not these rally cars, get some realwheel drive action...just my opinion....I dont really like the way the evo and sti look - awd and turbo, yet 4 doors? doesn't make sense....

greenguy
02-03-2003, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by swampdonkey
yeah the EVO lost its electronic clutch differentials and a few ponies being translated into Americanese. I think the STi is going to make 280hp when it gets here so it should be as fast and probably faster. Also I question the reliability of Mitsus......they have a bad rep.

I would get the STi but both are incredible cars
The Sti makes 300hp from the 2.5l motor. ;)
Ill take the STi please!

taikahn
02-03-2003, 11:05 AM
Sti for the go

Evo for the show

i dunno --- i think the sti is mechanincally superior but the evo is prettier.

blueiedgod
02-03-2003, 11:11 AM
well, i have not driven neither STi nor EVO, but i did drive the WRX. subaru trouts its HP and torque ratings, and most people are blinded by the numbers. I drove the WRX, and let me tell you, it is a very rough, crude vehicle. I personally don't like to feel the engine in the shifter and the steering wheel. WRX needs at least 2 balance shafts. driving the Si right after subie, was like night and day, my hand did not get numb from the vibrations.
EVO, if mitsubishi knew how to build long lasting engines i would have said, yeah, but last i checked galant's don't have the reputation of having realiable engines. they go through engines like hondas go through tires.
I, personally, am interested in seeing what kind of performance you can get out the Accord V6, coupe EX with 6 speed manual.

02SiHB
02-03-2003, 11:40 AM
EVO + Boost controller + other small goodies = one of the fastest out there. Mid to low 12's after boost controller.

EVO without a second thought.

Vivid_Motion
02-03-2003, 11:46 AM
EVOLUTION BABY!!! E V O L U T I O N!!

Saw the US Spec at the Philadelphia auto show and it was
so sweet my teeth hurt looking at it.

Nice size too. No knees against the dash!

Just looks like a more substantial car..

Craig

speech
02-03-2003, 12:07 PM
I would take either, as both can be made to be very fast and solid cars. I sort of lean in the direction of the EVO. (Probably only because I just finished watching Jackie Chan's "Who Am I"- that was a sweet EVO in that movie!)

As far as reliability go, both the 4G63 in the EVO and the EJ20 in the Scooby have proven to be very reliable over time. I do, however, find that I like the engine design of the EVO (more laid out like a Honda) than the WRX (horizontally opposed flat four). I would assume that the EVO would be easier to wrench on, but I have never worked on a WRX flat four.

As far as styling, I think that the EVO looks a bit sharper. However, this month's (March's) Sport Compact Car had a feature on it, and I just want to say that I hope the Altezza style tails don't make it into final production. Why these manufacturers think that the American public wants to drive behind Altezzas is beyond me? It must have to do with the growing Sport Compact market and the many enthusiasts in the market these cars are geared for. The WRX, to me, looks a bit girly. (Keep in mind that I prefer the sharper lines instead of the rounder ones on a car, so this is purely a personal choice.)

In the end, I say get the EVO! Good luck with your choice.

swampdonkey
02-03-2003, 12:16 PM
Abou the balance shaft comment thats not true. Boxer engines (like the one in the WRX) with horizontally opposed cylinders are the ONLY engine that are inherently balanced in their operation. Opposite cylinders perform the same task at the same time which allows there to be NO secondary vibrations which is what a DUAL shaft setup is used for. The suspension may have been rough for you but I think it is only a tiny bit stiffer than the Si. I have driven 3 WRXs on three test drives.

Yes the I4 will be easier to wrench on than the boxer engine, but there are no smoother engines in the world than boxers. Perhaps a jet engine.

golferjn
02-03-2003, 12:50 PM
both the sti and the evo are awesome. pick one, either one, bow down

Silver7
02-03-2003, 02:28 PM
just received a brocheure for 2004 US wrx STI.

here is the spec from it.

300hp@6krpm, 300lb-ft torque @ 4k rpm

2.5L intercooled turbocharged 4-cylinder boxer
6-speed manual transmission
AWD with Driver controllerd center differential

now. for me, there is no point of getting RSX.. if I was looking to get an rsx i would rather get SI. but If I was going to get RSX-type S, I would get WRX.

but between EVO and STI... .. hmm i dont know since i didnt test drive either of them.. but right now im leaning towards STI a bit more .

silver ep
02-03-2003, 03:00 PM
Also I question the reliability of Mitsus......they have a bad rep.
I agree, Id go with the STI

Mugen Power
02-03-2003, 03:11 PM
Also, you can't beat the sound coming from a nice boxer engine. ;)

IceD out N CALI
02-03-2003, 03:25 PM
wow, 300hp@6krpm, 300lb-ft torque @ 4k rpm for the Us Sti, those are some pretty nice numbers:cool:

TrippZ
02-03-2003, 04:04 PM
lol i saw that movie with the EVO too... they tore that thing up. bastards.

I dont know which one I'd get. Honestly, they both sound pretty equal to me.

TezGari
02-03-2003, 04:09 PM
STi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 6SPD!!!!!!!! TURBO!!!!!!300hp!!!!!!!4WD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tsa1
02-03-2003, 09:22 PM
crap, this is hard. i like the sti's driver controled diffs and 27hp and 29 lbs.ft more than the evo. Now if the sti costs like 2k more i would get it because that stuff is worth it. i dont want an s2000 because the intierior is so cramped and i dont want to drive around like i'm michael schumacher( that how u spell his name?) reving the F20C and scaring litlle kids(actually....). 350z if i could find one for MSRP or less then i'd think about it. does anyone know how many evo's and sti's while trickle thier way across the pacific for this year?

tsa1
02-03-2003, 11:03 PM
oh and if honda would have bought the CTR over i wouldnt think twice about it evo or no evo. i wouldnt have cared if they had an rsx type-R. the CIVIC all the way.

kpxplaya415
02-03-2003, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by trinispeed
STi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 6SPD!!!!!!!! TURBO!!!!!!300hp!!!!!!!4WD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AWD!!!!!!!! :D

mitsu is 5spd, detuned version of the JDM and altezzas... nuff said

STi All the Way

Mugen Power
02-03-2003, 11:41 PM
Actually, I remember looking at the Japanese Mitsu site a while back and some versions of the Evo (if not all after a period of time?) had those Altezza-style lights so it's not just for the US.

2k2_nbp_egg
02-04-2003, 03:06 PM
STi fo sho!!!!! Haha...come on, 300 HP > 280 HP. Turbo 2.5 > Turbo 2.0 and finally, Subaru > Mitsubishi.

I would consider the evo maybe if they didn't water it down so much so it would be affordable, but since they did, that 300 hp is looking alot better.

From the outside, both cars scream functionality and not rice no matter how it may seem, but the Evo does look better IMO. STi still looks nice, but the large scoop and wing kinda knudge my opinion towards the Evo. If i'm not mistaken however, the STi has a much better interior unless mitsu has taken a step up since the last photo releases of the Evo interior (the one at the autoshow was on a trailer and locked).

p.s. did anyone else have those HILARIOUS F n F 2 rice mobiles at their autoshow? Tyrese's 03' eclipse GTS was the dumbest thing i've seen in a while... fully redone interior w/ two big ass nos buttons on the wheel, boost gauges, system, neons, 20's, and i think it was a convert. as well :rolleyes:

Tragedy
02-04-2003, 05:12 PM
Number of recalls due to engine trouble: (Japanese market)

Lancer Evolution: 4

Impreza WRX STi: 0

I rest my case.

Silver7
02-04-2003, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Tragedy
Number of recalls due to engine trouble: (Japanese market)

Lancer Evolution: 4

Impreza WRX STi: 0

I rest my case.

is that recall on EVO 8? what were the problems? and what year STI is that on?
u have to be more specific.

SpUD
02-04-2003, 05:45 PM
I was thinking of getting an EVO but Mitsubishi had to fuck it up when they brought it over here...... I dont like how the new front looks.... they took out the ACD(active center differential) and the AYC(active yaw control) plus a few other stuff. for the price of 29.5k msrp i wouldnt buy it... its like getting a DX civic when u wanted a EX. I would get a STI!!!!

2k2_nbp_egg
02-04-2003, 09:18 PM
Hey guys, hate to magrace....but C & D got a 14.2 @ 98 for the Evo 8. Umm, is it just me or did all this hype from the past few months just flat out fall on its face? I thought it was supposed to be a contender for the STi....not the WRX. I'm sorry, but 14.2 @ 98 is nothing more than a little beefier mitsu wrx. The STi will totally own it, even if its a few extra grand. Sorry :(

tsa1
02-04-2003, 09:43 PM
what issue did they get a 14.2@98mph out of it, was it the march. Road and track got a 13.8at 101.5MPH (they dropped the clutch a 6krpm)

lewjay
02-04-2003, 10:51 PM
I have the March C/D right here. That 14.2@98mph is their estimate.

TriniTurismo
02-05-2003, 01:15 PM
What is wrong guys. come onnnn... why would you go for the evo....if you mean evo8 which is coming to the USA. it has a ugly front it..it looks like a pontiac design in the front of the evo8....it has less than 276hp....now the STi(crazy if you don't get this one) which has 300hpppp and 300Foot pounds of T. how good is that.....it looks way better than the evo8...my personel choice, i would go for the Sti cause the WRX was out already so the USA has something to work with.....the evo8 is something new and ugly to the USA market....they are both aroudn teh same price, if irememebr i think the evo is going to be more money with less hp.......if you was talking about the evo5/6 then that is a different story....the evo six has a smaller turbo but bigger intercooler and the evo7 has a bigger turbo but a smaller intercooler......now the evo8 wellllll....i think it is a joke for what they designed it to beee.....they could of done a better job than that......ok but over allllllllllllll...................I say STI all the wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy...........besides between STi and the EVO teams.....STi has won most of the rally trails.....i think...actually i knowwwww it will perform better on everything and aftermarkettttt ........later EP peepz:angel: :'( :p

ballsdeep
02-05-2003, 02:13 PM
I agree the evo is ugly, it really does nothing for me. The sti is freakin awesome if you can really afford this vehicle I would buy it. I'll take mine in blue with gold rims please.

2k2_nbp_egg
02-05-2003, 03:27 PM
Word...my bad. 14.2 @ 98 is a very unimpressive estimate...but 13.8@ 101 isn't too far off. At least it traps over a hundred and breaks into the 13s, but doesn't it take a wrx like under 200 worth of mods to get a time very similar? Oh well, i guess its a pointless arguement cuz the evo could do the same....but my point is that even 13.8 is damn near close to wrx territory.

Tragedy, do you know the numbers for the new STi in japan? I know its not the same, but at least subaru's offering the j-spec engine / badass tranny so the american sti shouldn't be too far off from its Japanese brother....rite?

kpxplaya415
02-05-2003, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by 2k2_nbp_egg
STi fo sho!!!!! Haha...come on, 300 HP > 280 HP. Turbo 2.5 > Turbo 2.0 and finally, Subaru > Mitsubishi.

I would consider the evo maybe if they didn't water it down so much so it would be affordable, but since they did, that 300 hp is looking alot better.

From the outside, both cars scream functionality and not rice no matter how it may seem, but the Evo does look better IMO. STi still looks nice, but the large scoop and wing kinda knudge my opinion towards the Evo. If i'm not mistaken however, the STi has a much better interior unless mitsu has taken a step up since the last photo releases of the Evo interior (the one at the autoshow was on a trailer and locked).

p.s. did anyone else have those HILARIOUS F n F 2 rice mobiles at their autoshow? Tyrese's 03' eclipse GTS was the dumbest thing i've seen in a while... fully redone interior w/ two big ass nos buttons on the wheel, boost gauges, system, neons, 20's, and i think it was a convert. as well :rolleyes:

YEAH IT HAS FURRY SPARCO SEATS... FURRY I TELL YOU AND THEY ARE PURPLE!!! AS WELL AS THE CAR!!! PURPLE I TELL YOU!! LOL :D

SiCivic2k2
02-05-2003, 05:10 PM
STI All the way. The WRX rocks now. I can't imagine it with 73 more horsepower! Plus, I think it looks better than the EVO.

IceD out N CALI
02-05-2003, 06:15 PM
yeah after looking into it more I think i'm gonna have to pick the STI:p

2k2_nbp_egg
02-05-2003, 06:37 PM
Performance wise the only advantage i can see for the Evo is the fact that the 4g63 has been out for so long in america that the aftermarket isn't gonna be that bad at all. Now the STi engine on the other hand....oh well i'd still pick the STi because of the larger displacement, much better tranny, interior, and the whole subaru > mitsubishi thing :)

p.s. furry purple? Damn you got to see the true rice version :( The one here just had interior matching suede seats...still uber ghey IMO

insomniac
02-06-2003, 01:36 AM
Top_Gear-Evo7WRX.mpeg (http://66.111.50.50/~admin2/rf_videos/road_tests/Top_Gear-Evo7WRX.mpeg)

This is off racingflix.com. Right-click, save target as....might have to wait few minutes til the save dialog box pops up.