PDA

View Full Version : what would you be willing to pay for a '03 CTR?

CivicGSiR
02-03-2003, 05:34 PM
if the SI MSRP's @ $19k, what would you be willing to pay for a '03 CTR today?

Silver7
02-03-2003, 05:52 PM
to be honest.. i really got interested in civic SI because it was selling @15k ~16K

and after i test drove it, 20k for RSX (base) was not justifiable..
compaired to si that is...

anyway...

for me, I would be willing to pay $20k for CTR... (im talking real price, not MSRP of course).

but even if they make CTR .. if SI is around 15k.. ill still get SI :D

if i got money to get something more expansive... here is my "to get chart"

Civic SI < WRX < EVO or STI

:confused:

Pradamuimui
02-03-2003, 06:04 PM
If I would have been smarter a year ago when the 2002 Civic Si was first released. I would have waited and imported one from Evolution Imports for around $25,000. However I wasn't patient enough and now Im paying for it. HOWEVER the next time I get ready to get another car I will have MY TYPE R of some sort. Wether it be a Civic Type R, or a RSX Tpe R.

RMC22
02-03-2003, 07:55 PM
20 out the door. Type R or not, it's still a civic and since the engine wont beat an RSX-S, I'd take the Type S Acura over a Honda Civic. But that's just me. RSX-R will rake in a pretty penny; probably 30 grand. Quit teasing with the SiR talk though.. I don't see it happening. Too much money to lose.. Now, RSX-R.. I see that happening, but that will be far too much for me.

Silver7
02-03-2003, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by RMC22
20 out the door. Type R or not, it's still a civic and since the engine wont beat an RSX-S, I'd take the Type S Acura over a Honda Civic. But that's just me. RSX-R will rake in a pretty penny; probably 30 grand. Quit teasing with the SiR talk though.. I don't see it happening. Too much money to lose.. Now, RSX-R.. I see that happening, but that will be far too much for me.

what do u mean Engine wont beat an RSX-s??

CTR engine > RSX-S engine
CTR > ITR (RSX type R)

:rolleyes:

RMC22
02-03-2003, 10:46 PM
they DEFINITELY wont bring over a JDM civic r... if they bring over any type of "R" civic.. itll be 200hp..

Pradamuimui
02-03-2003, 10:49 PM

Still a CIVIC?? I must let you know that the 2002 Civic Type R will spank the RSX Type S and RSX Type R!!

kpxplaya415
02-03-2003, 11:24 PM
they DEFINITELY wont bring over a JDM civic r... if they bring over any type of "R" civic.. itll be 200hp..

Umm... the JDM CTR is 200hp... so what the hell are you talking about?

Mugen Power
02-03-2003, 11:47 PM
Definitely no more than 20 g's.

CleanBlackSi02
02-04-2003, 01:04 AM
I'd pay no more than $2K over the market value of a comparable RSX-S.

RMC22
02-04-2003, 04:25 AM
Originally posted by kpxplaya415

Umm... the JDM CTR is 200hp... so what the hell are you talking about?

IF they bring it (which they wont) it's just going to have a k20a2 in it. You want a real CTR? Import it. I promise you you will not see a "Civic Type R" being for sale to the american public by honda. Maybe something similar.. but it will always be americanized. Plus, isnt the rumor k20a2 with the same body as the current si just with SiR on it? That's where I come from when I say I'd take the RSX-S. Sorry, i interchange my shorthand for the civ.
To summarize: Do I want a type r? Hell yes I do. Will we see one? Don't hold your breath. Will we see something similar? Very possible.. and that something similar will most likely not stray too far. Honda isnt dumb. Their sales are thru the roof. Why? Families buy hondas. Yes car enthusiasts do.. But that is not hondas target market. Not in America that is. They wouldnt make much money bringing those over. Shit like the SVT Fuckus doesnt rake in dollars for ford, its to get people in to check out the other focus. The sti isnt going to make money for subaru, but yet the company gets my hat off for doing it. These cars only make money when the dealer marks them up. I am sorry, but the car industry is just a business. All they want is money. The market in america isnt that great for a civic type r. I also tend to think honda is turning the idea down because of the overall Si sales.. Do they realize that a lot of people dont like it because it makes the same power as the previous? Sure, but im sure they are for more aware of the looks thing. Think about it.. America isnt too fond of hatchbacks. Bah this is an aimless 5 am rant that i have to end now.

CTR = :D
:eek: :p
American "R" = :mad: :o

Silvershadow
02-04-2003, 05:36 AM
Sure we would all love 2 pay <$20K for a CTR,but it'll probably be around $23K(the price of d RSX-S).A few of you've spent that much at least ,When u did the Engine swap.

Mechanic
02-04-2003, 05:36 AM
Going w/yr premise of a $19k MSRP for the Si, I'd easily part with an additional $3k for a CTR. If -- big if -- Honda actually were to import the CTR, there's no way in hell that a Honda dealer would ever discount the car below a $22k MSRP -- not with Acura's "S" selling for (approx.) $23 and Acura's "enhancement package" for the car retailing for $5k.

But, do I think $22k is realistic? No. Depending on where Mitsubishi and Mazda price their trick cars, $24k is a more likely MSRP, assuming it ever shows up.

Silvershadow
02-04-2003, 05:50 AM
A JDM CTR is around $19K.$24K is d price range of d CTR in England & d factory is next door.
>>>See d Thread "CTR not coming to USA!!!" for another option above d RSX-S W/FP Package.

CivicGSiR
02-04-2003, 06:25 AM
i was curious of what folks would be willing to pay for the car that i've seen many trying to duplicate. i've read talk of "just drop the RSX-S in & it would kill a CTR." i believe that the millions of dollars that Honda spends in developing a chassis, the braking, balance, handling, etc... of a car is worth more than "just dropping in a motor." striaghtline speed is great, but that is not what "Type R" represents. the previous R's were never built for drag racing nor are the current ones.
after owning my current car for 6yrs & spending thousands upon thousands of dollars making it faster & handle better, & i still don't think that it is of the caliber that a "Type R" is. i think the price that evoimports.com are asking is very reasonable considering, we can't even go to the local dealership & sit in it & wish we could have one. i looked extensively into importing one prior to evoimports offering them & it ain't cheap. although the shipping & duties aren't too horribly bad, having to get it bonded & then converting to U.S. spec is where some cost come in.

even though you can't duplicate one completely, how much would you spend to get close with a Si?

motor
brakes (5 lug)
200+ lbs lighter
suspension
exterior

look at what Shawn over at JDMHondaParts.com did. how much do you think he has laid down?

ssvr6
02-04-2003, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by CivicGSiR

look at what Shawn over at JDMHondaParts.com did. how much do you think he has laid down?

Too much IMO.

While I love the look, I would have just imported one unless he got a sweet deal on everything and it turned out to be cheaper than importing a comprable CTR.

Like GibHunter once said:
"..It's amazing the lengths that one will go to just so that the 'R' on their car won't be called 'Rice'..."

I just want more power. While bigger brakes and better tuned suspension are appealing, I like tuning that myself. I wouldn't want a car with little or nothing left to do to it. And it's this mindset that most Import owners have (at least real racers). Why not just get a Mustang to go fast. Because it's more fun to make something that was intended to be slow, go fast.

That's my take on it. I like my Si and I'll be sticking with it.

Steve

George Knighton
02-04-2003, 10:45 AM
I'd go for an MSRP of $28,000 if the CTR were as different from the Si as I am imagining.

The difference in price between the ITR and the GS-R was worth it. It must be something similar for the CTR in order to get me to go for it.

Pradamuimui
02-04-2003, 12:31 PM
Any of Honda's cars that are luky enough to recieve the red badge are tip top notch cars that Honda releases. $25,000 isn't really that much to spend on a Civic Type R!! I would if I had the money be willing to send $30,000 for a brand new S2000, so why wouldnt I spend around the same amount for a TRUE Type R?? I must aggree however that unless you where a DIE HARD HONDA ENTHUSIAST, it may not seem practical spending almost 30k on a Civic. But for people like me and all of the other HONDA NUTS, owning a Type R is like living a dream. For example I own the Best Motoring video Vol. 1. (Type R Legend) Watching that video showed me soooo much about the Type R's...how dedicated Honda is to making these almost Formula One FWD cars. They are amazing...ASK anyone who owns a Type R. I dunno?? Maybe spending 26k on a Civic Type R isnt worth it. But for me it is!!

CivicGSiR
02-04-2003, 01:16 PM
thank you, exactly. i'm right there with you on that.

on a little other note, i was re-reading an article in the November 2001 issue of EVO magazine & they heads up the new Integra Type R & the Civic Type R.
guess who happens to be 1 tenth quicker in the 1/4 mile.
that's right, the Civic.
15.3 @ 96mph 1/4 mile
3 tenths quicker to 60mph.
0-60 in 6.8 seconds.

Silvershadow
02-04-2003, 03:35 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: NEWS BREAK!!!!!!!! CivicGSiR,you're right about "not being the caliber of the Type R"You're ready 4 d next level............................................. .................................................. .One of d reasons our Si isn't has to do with 1 of d large unknown chassis reinforcement pieces.I think it's around $700............The whole frt. subframe is a CTR ONLY piece ,not those dinky pieces every1 knows about on the ITRs.To learn more about those other CTR pieces you'll have 2 read my other post.---"The SilverShadow knows"---

blueiedgod
02-04-2003, 05:24 PM
hond ais bringing a type R to or shores, but not a civic. they are bringing a euro/japan version of the accord type R as Acura TSX, with a 2.4 liter 200 hp engine and 6 speed manual. pre-release MSRP is set at $24 900, that includes leather interior, all the bells and whistles (A/c, power everything, sunroof, cruise, dual beam HID's, LED gauges...) 4 wheel disk ABS (smilar to ours with electronic force distribution), stiff suspension, and 4 doors. From the pre-release it looks kind of ugly, but after seeing accord type R (it was called accord euro, so i may not have necesseraly seen the type R) in person in japan a few years back, it looked good. why spend $25K on CTR when you can have Accord type R?

what i would really like to see making to US is CTDi

fyzm7357
02-04-2003, 06:20 PM
I must have missed something...what is the CTDi???

Mugen Power
02-04-2003, 10:18 PM
The European Accord Type Rs were always called Euro Rs in Japan since they had their own Accord Type R when the first one came out. They did it to distinguish the Japanese one from the European one, since they were different. Now, they're just touting that name probably cuz it helps a little bit on image in Japan.

Silvershadow
02-05-2003, 12:35 AM
CDTi is a civic with turbo diesel and civic slow not Si fast.Gets 50-60 MPG.Accord type R is slower Than CTR.

Silvershadow
02-06-2003, 04:09 PM
My apologize:confused: I screwed up we(EP3) do share the same frt. subframe as d CTR.We also use d same chassis stiffener( part # 74230-s6m-000) as d CTR.:cool:

kpxplaya415
02-06-2003, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by blueiedgod
hond ais bringing a type R to or shores, but not a civic. they are bringing a euro/japan version of the accord type R as Acura TSX, with a 2.4 liter 200 hp engine and 6 speed manual. pre-release MSRP is set at $24 900, that includes leather interior, all the bells and whistles (A/c, power everything, sunroof, cruise, dual beam HID's, LED gauges...) 4 wheel disk ABS (smilar to ours with electronic force distribution), stiff suspension, and 4 doors. From the pre-release it looks kind of ugly, but after seeing accord type R (it was called accord euro, so i may not have necesseraly seen the type R) in person in japan a few years back, it looked good. why spend $25K on CTR when you can have Accord type R?

what i would really like to see making to US is CTDi

Is it really a "type r" i thought they just named it EURO R for the european market... and to the die hard enthusiast it still wouldn't be a TYPE R, just a TSX...

Mugen Power
02-06-2003, 11:11 PM
They call it a Euro R cuz that's where it originated from. If you read my earlier post, you would see that they always called the European Accord Type R the Euro R (in Japan anyway) and since the European one is the only ATR out now, they're keeping the name.