PDA

View Full Version : Amp/Sub - Need help ASAP

ep3guy
02-04-2003, 11:52 PM
I just installed an amp. The amp turns on, everything seems to work, but the sub is going crazy. It's really low (quite), but then sometimes it gets all loud. Then at the end of the day, I noticed that when I'm about to close the trunk, I get the loud HUMMMMMM noise again. Everytime I'm about to close the trunk I get the HUMMMMM noise. I'm using the stock headunit btw. I used a converter also to get my rca's. I tapped into the rear speakers. Could it be that the signal I'm getting is too weak for the rca's?

What do I need to do to fix this...? :(

I'll try to get pictures up.

(Sorry kinda sleepy when I wrote this.)

civicpimp
02-05-2003, 12:38 AM
What kind of amp are you using? Is it properly grounded? If you have your amp power up to high it will cut out so you don't damage your amp and speakers. It will cut in and out like that until it gets lowered. I cant see your setup but thats where I would look. Also does it make that Hummmm noise after the car is off? If so its making that noise cause you have to turn the amp off.

ep3guy
02-05-2003, 12:46 AM
I'm using my cousins amp right now, it will be powering a JL 10w6. I have a feeling it's my RCA connection, but I'm not sure. Too tired to check now. The amp is not set high, it's in the middle. It doesn't make the Humm noise after I turn the car off.

But even if I turn it all the way up, you can barely hear the sub at all. When I have it turned all the way up, sometimes it'll make that LOUD hummmmm sound.

Jpax
02-05-2003, 07:35 AM
what LOC are yyou using? dose it have a ground isolatior on it?> dose it have gains? to turn up or down the level of out put?

ep3guy
02-05-2003, 08:52 AM
Yeah, there's a ground on the LOC, but it didn't make a difference whether it was connected or not. It doesn't have any gains. I'm in class right now and have a huge headache from the HUMMM.

Could it be because for the LOC, I tapped into the rear speaker by wrapping the wire around the outside, instead of inside where the plug goes in?

Jpax
02-05-2003, 06:04 PM
ok...well as long as you have contact withe the speaker wire from the rears you should be ok, it dose not have to be in the factory plug.....mine are 6" from the plug.

Were is your amp grounded..? simple task but make shure its grounded to the chassis...

And Turn ALL the gains DOWN.. on the amp. the fire the system up WITH THE CAR RUNNING. (Pull the E break please) And turn the factory system up till your liking, Then SLOWLY turn the Gain UP on the AMP .... DO NOT turn the gain full open. :cool:

ep3guy
02-05-2003, 07:31 PM
thanks for all the help!

I got everything to work, bridged it and everything, now it sounds good. Pretty good sq, I wanted more sq instead of spl (10w6). :D