PDA

View Full Version : New Si owner here with a *real* $0 dyno!

MPBSi
02-05-2003, 02:54 PM
Hey all,

I'm new to this forum (only had my car for a week and a half), but since there's a dyno section, I though I'd just say that I work as a design engineer for a company that happens to build all sorts of automotive test equipment, including chassis dynos for race car teams and manufacturers (our stuff tends to be too expensive for your average tuning shop unfortunately). So this basically means that I have free access to a dyno when we have one up and running, if I want to use it. This might be fun for me now that I have a 2wd car, as my previous car was awd so I couldn't run it on our equipment.

I don't know how much money I'm going to be putting into my car anytime soon, but when I do make any changes to engine components, I'll try to get some dyno plots up here for people to see. Also, hopefully I can try to help with any questions people new to dynos might have about testing, results, etc (not that I'm an expert on the subject, but I know a little more than average).

Anyway, for now I'm still enoying my new car smell and waiting to break in my engine, just wanted to say hi...

silver ep
02-05-2003, 02:55 PM
Hi and welcome to the site!

IceD out N CALI
02-06-2003, 05:35 PM
welcome to the site:)

Surprise
02-06-2003, 05:49 PM
What makes your units priced more than others? What is so special? Just more accurate, faster sampling rates? Curious me.

golferjn
02-06-2003, 06:59 PM
welcome and hello

SiRman
02-06-2003, 11:38 PM
Welcome to the site.

MPBSi
02-07-2003, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Surprise
What makes your units priced more than others? What is so special? Just more accurate, faster sampling rates? Curious me.

Most small shops that I've seen run inertia-only chassis dynos, cuz they're cheap, and get the job done relatively well. Most of our chassis dynos are controlled units (ie, they have an eddy current absorber in addition to the roll inertia), which lets you do much more complicated tests than a simple acceleration run, and can give you a lot more useful info about the engine and drivetrain. Adding an EC absorber to the system increases the cost a lot, which is really why our systems cost more. We also have some pretty advanced data acquisition/sensor systems. It's probably overkill for the average shop, whose customers just want to know the general shape of their curve and the peak power. We cater more to professional racing teams (mostly NASCAR...) who have the big bucks and where a few hp at the right rpm means winning or losing ;)

S800Racer
02-07-2003, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by MPBSi
We cater more to professional racing teams (mostly NASCAR...)

I didn't know that so many NASCAR teams were based in Colorado;)
Just kidding, I'm sure your company does a lot of work in my neck of the woods. I'm a little over an hour from 90% of the NASCAR shops.

bioevolve
02-08-2003, 02:15 PM
WELCOME, so what is your first mod/mods gonna be?

MPBSi
02-08-2003, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by S800Racer

I didn't know that so many NASCAR teams were based in Colorado;)
Just kidding, I'm sure your company does a lot of work in my neck of the woods. I'm a little over an hour from 90% of the NASCAR shops.

lol. yeah, luckily there aren't any here, so I don't have to deal with them directly, cuz they're a picky bunch ;) that's for the customer service guys!

As for my first mods, well, I'm not planning on doing much except suspension work (springs, tires, wheels, rear sway bar, etc). I'll wait until some good turbo kits come out to decide what to do with the engine. Up here at 6500ft, NA cars basically suck, so I want to see all my options before spending money on your typical NA goodies which don't make a huge difference up here.

CSMsi311
02-26-2003, 01:07 AM
where in colorado is the dyno?
i'm also a member of a local board www.highaltitudeimports.com

sounds like a cool job. That's the kind of job I need. Could I get an internship? ;)

Come check out the site.
Jason

PoRT
02-26-2003, 03:18 AM
Hi and welcome to the site.. i wish i lived in Colorado:p anyhow, if you have any questions, feel free to ask and we are glad to hve you as a part of this community

atl-si
02-26-2003, 08:39 AM
Welcome and congrats! Colorado, huh? I used to live there in Denver. Great city. Keep us posted on your mods.:cool: