PDA

View Full Version : would you buy a 5 door EP?

jo3y
02-06-2003, 12:14 AM
This pic is over from the custom forum but i want to discuss it. I know a lot of the people on this site live in the US and was curious if you would buy a 5 door EP. I would in a heartbeat!!! damn thats cool. damn i hate the american market.

new dream car - 5 door EP with CTR engine

03hatch
02-06-2003, 01:27 AM
i would get it...looks bad ass...:D

Gibhunter
02-06-2003, 06:57 AM
At first I voted "lay off the crack pipe", but that was before I actually looked at the picture. This car reminds me allot of the new Toyta Matrix, Pontiac Vibe. With the K20A3, it will also be much more driveable than either of the above mentioned two wheter they come with the base 130HP or the GTs 180HP engines as either one lacks low end torque. Honda may need to bring that car in if they want to compete with the Matrix and Vibe.

hamproof
02-06-2003, 09:06 AM
Custom forum as in photo-chopped?? This is directly from the Honda UK site:

Link to Honda UK Civic Type S (http://www.honda.co.uk/civictypes/gallery.html)

http://www.honda.co.uk/civictypes/images/civictypes01inset.jpg

http://www.honda.co.uk/civictypes/images/civictypes02inset.jpg

http://www.honda.co.uk/civictypes/images/civictypes04inset.jpg

SiR Medic
02-06-2003, 09:21 AM
I like having 3 doors, keeps my buddies from asking me to drive them everywhere.

I do like the 5-door though, and I think it would make a great alternitive to the dull 4-door Civic.

I wouldn't be surprised if we saw the five-door here soon, since Ford has the Focus ZX5 and they will be making a SVT version of that 5-door Focus.

Hey, if Honda can put out the Element in an attempt to get "Generation Y" buyers, you might just see the 5-door Si out there in an attempt to muscle in on the hot sales of the Matrix/Vibe, and the Protege 5.

gtaSiR
02-06-2003, 10:35 AM
I too voted before I looked at the pic. It's actually not bad.
But I'll stick with my 3dr.
A 5dr is a family car... I'm not ready to have a family. :)

silver ep
02-06-2003, 10:38 AM
I prefer the three door, but the 5 isnt all that bad. Although I really like saying "that can't fit in my car" :D

Spidey
02-06-2003, 11:11 AM
kinda reminds of the suzuki aerio. not a good thing.

DownTheHatch
02-06-2003, 01:27 PM
If they hadn't completely jacked up the shape of the rear end I would buy it.

SeatownEP02
02-06-2003, 01:37 PM
5 dr makes it look more like a van...

blueiedgod
02-06-2003, 03:37 PM
as it is get jokes about driving a mini-van. if honda does bring it with the stronger engine (looks like the 5 door is longer and heavier) 6 spd manual, sunroof and keep the price under $15K, i would buy it in a heartbeat. problem with matrix/vibe is that once you add the ABS, sunroof, and power windows/locks for vibe the price jumps to $20K (XRS/GT). which is WAY too much for a corolla wagon. for $20K you can get a loaded element (EX 5spd) with 4WD, and ruggednes of a truck.
what's even better, is if honda offered the civic 5 door with CTDI. it may not be the fastest, but with 58 mpg, i can live with a 100 hp/180 lbs.ft torque (if i converted the N.m correctly)

IceD out N CALI
02-06-2003, 03:44 PM
no i would not buy that 5door. I dont see myself sporting one of those

poppasp1ce
02-06-2003, 04:11 PM
looks like my friends protege5

fyzm7357
02-06-2003, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by gtaSiR
But I'll stick with my 3dr.
A 5dr is a family car... I'm not ready to have a family. :)

I agree...I'll start buying 4/5 door cars when I'm a family man....but until then I will stick to my 2/3 door cars. But I must say that it looks very sharp...alot better than a Matrix or Vibe.

si666
02-06-2003, 11:43 PM
What kind of wheels are those on the white 5 door ep? It looks bad ass. Anyone?

vectorhive
02-07-2003, 12:39 AM
f#$k no! yuck. no! icky. not. no thanks.

ortedd
02-07-2003, 05:31 AM
better looking then a a vibe/matrix/focus, but i still like my 3 door.

Mechanic
02-09-2003, 04:32 AM
Originally posted by vectorhive
f#$k no! yuck. no! icky. not. no thanks.

What he said . . .

HondaEU1
02-09-2003, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by jo3y
This pic is over from the custom forum but i want to discuss it. I know a lot of the people on this site live in the US and was curious if you would buy a 5 door EP. I would in a heartbeat!!! damn thats cool. damn i hate the american market.

new dream car - 5 door EP with CTR engine

Hi ! in fact, i own one 5dr civic hatchback now in singapore.
actually 5dr civic hatch is called EU instead of EP :)

the horsepower is shitty as it comes from a D-block SOHC 1.5 or 1.7 VTEC engine :(

check out my car below ( mine is juz right beside the black UK-spec civic Type R EP3 in front )

http://www.boomspeed.com/myhonda/black0.jpg

Regards,
HondaEU1 from Singapore

HondaEU1
02-09-2003, 07:19 AM
btw, u bunch of friendly guys out there from U.S should count yourself lucky !

owning a car in singapore is way much more than wat u pay in the USA.

take my 5dr civic hatchback ( EU1 ) for example,
it costs Sing dollars around $85,000 to own one.... for a JDM or UK spec Civic Type R is around Sing $115,000 !!!

if u convert USD to Sing dollars at the current rate of SGD $1.75 = USD $1.00...... u will be amazed at how cheap cars in yr country costs ! no offence to anyone :)

George Knighton
02-09-2003, 08:47 AM
Yeah, I think I'd probably buy a 5-door EP if everything else about the car were attractive. The 200 HP Type S motor would be great.

:)

With the DC2-R, the four door version wasn't very attractive, for some reason. I don't think I'd have bought that.

The aesthetics of the 5-door EP aren't any different from those of the 3-door.

hamproof
02-10-2003, 06:41 AM
Isn't it amazing you guys pay so much for your little Civic (almost $50k) which is considered an econobox here in US by the general public. Your car will probably sell for (if it was sold here) $15k.

I believe you forgot to mention about the "permit" you have to own first before you can buy a car over there. Isn't the permit more expensive than the car?

Also, since we, in US, get paid more than in S'pore even before the rate conversion, I'm surprised we don't drive E classes and B(U)mmers 5/7 series.

I wonder where all our money went, or a better question, how do you guys afford it?

Well, maybe depreciation has something to do with it. Buy a car for $20k in 1 year it is worth $15-$16k. Buy a Sing80K, sell it in a year and make $5k :)

CleanBlackSi02
02-10-2003, 08:24 AM
I'd totally drive the 5-door in the first pic if it had a CTR powerplant.

SiR Medic
02-10-2003, 01:00 PM
owning a car in singapore is way much more than wat u pay in the USA

I think Bermuda is like that too. Any car brough on to the Island is subject to a 100% tax.

blueiedgod
02-11-2003, 05:45 AM
Originally posted by hamproof
Isn't it amazing you guys pay so much for your little Civic (almost $50k) which is considered an econobox here in US by the general public. Your car will probably sell for (if it was sold here) $15k.

I believe you forgot to mention about the "permit" you have to own first before you can buy a car over there. Isn't the permit more expensive than the car?

Also, since we, in US, get paid more than in S'pore even before the rate conversion, I'm surprised we don't drive E classes and B(U)mmers 5/7 series.

I wonder where all our money went, or a better question, how do you guys afford it?

Well, maybe depreciation has something to do with it. Buy a car for $20k in 1 year it is worth $15-$16k. Buy a Sing80K, sell it in a year and make $5k :)

you are forgetting the cost of living in other countries. No one pays $1200/month in rent for a 1 bedroom appartment except for someone like me in the NYC suburbs. This is where almost most of my money goes.

hamproof
02-11-2003, 05:58 AM
than a lot of cities in US. If I'm working in NYC instead of Detroit, I would expect my $70k salary to be at least $180k. In that sense renting a $1200 bedroom is not an issue anymore. I could then afford to buy say a $750k house rather than a $300k house which is what I have now.

Living in S'pore is expensive. But maybe not as much as living in NYC, but the same worker in NYC doesn't get as much as the same worker in S'pore.

HondaEU1
02-12-2003, 04:51 AM
yep...singapore has that stupid 'permit' ( which we called it C.O.E or known as Certificate of Entitlement ). as land is very scarce in tiny Singapore, the government is trying to control and limit the number of cars on the roads. so we got to purchase a 'permit' before we are allowed to buy a car.

the C.O.E can ranged from $50 to even $70,000 ! how it works, i do not really know how to explain it to you ( i find it very complex ). but to cut things short, every car in Singapore needs to have the C.O.E before a car can be purchased and driven on the road :(

normally, singaporeans like me pay thru our noses for our rides with a monthly instalment scheme which might lasts up to 7-10 years !

to make things worse, Singapore cars only have a life span of 10 years and which u will have the option to renew it for another 10 years, maximum.

after that period, our cars will be scrapped :(

life kinda sucks in Singapore. though our security here is top-notched as compared to other Asia countries. no offence though :)

Originally posted by hamproof

S2KplusSI
03-10-2003, 03:29 PM
The five-door doesn't appeal to me, but I might consider it if it had the CTR powerplant.

Loudpedal
03-10-2003, 10:33 PM
It would have to have CTR power, and would have to be in black. The blue "model" 5-door in the UK site looks frumpy, particularly the cargo area windows and the rear tail lights. The 3 door looks much better IMO.

HondaEU1
03-16-2003, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by Loudpedal
It would have to have CTR power, and would have to be in black. The blue "model" 5-door in the UK site looks frumpy, particularly the cargo area windows and the rear tail lights. The 3 door looks much better IMO.

yep 3dr EP3 looks much nicer.
but 5dr EU civic doesn't look tat bad afterall, with bodykit.

let me try upload a pic of my Modulo kit EU1 5dr hatch soon

http://www.boomspeed.com/hondaprimo/hondacars2003.gif