PDA

View Full Version : HID kit

1fastminivan
07-26-2002, 12:17 AM
anyone into HID?
anyone considering HID? for our H4 housings Id go with autolamps-online.com they have a kit for H4 that has low and high beam HID. Just my 2 cents, cuz Im thinking about it.

DOTEK
07-26-2002, 01:28 AM
how much is this kit? HID kits on Ebay typically go for about 300-450. Five hundred dollars is where i draw the line, if you're buying for any more than that, you're over-paying!

1fastminivan
07-27-2002, 01:05 AM
well if you are paying 350 to 400 you are getting a good deal but who makes them is what you should look for. Ive had an HID kit that was poorly made and purchased at autotoys long long long time ago.
It was the H4 kit which didnt even come with shielding to prevent glare. I had to make my custom shield. then later I just screw it and got real HID projectors off of a BMW 5 series, I custom fitted them into some cheap aftermarket housings. I dont want to go through that route right now, I can settle for the H4 low/high beam kit. remember if you get the H4 kit from anyone else, chances are they are only meant for low beam, and hopefully theyve provided a decent glare shield. autolamps-online makes H4 kits really good compared to other kits.
Now they have the low/high beam kit which cost 600, I know a little pricey but its all in good quality and you get both low beam and high beam.

DOTEK
07-27-2002, 07:54 PM
When buying bulbs only you should always specify your original bulb size before hurrying to complete a transaction. If a bulb only has one beam pattern then it shouldn't have been called H4 to begin with!--yes, 1fastminivan, you've been scammed--conventional H4 halogen bulbs get its name by having a double filament, as opposed to 9003 (H3), 9005, 9006, ect..which only have a single.

I cannot stress this enough, read the fine prints before you buy. STAY AWAY FROM ANYTHING and EVERYTHING THAT DOESN'T SAY "H4" ON IT unless you want to spend a tremendous amount of money modifying it to fit. If a seller has more than one set up for bid, specify "your" size. If the kit is universal, that means there's modifications involved.

on another note, you can't go wrong with either Phillips or Osram, they're nice reputable brands from Germany.