PDA

View Full Version : how much should i pay?

sleepinEP3
02-07-2003, 05:10 AM
ive really gained interest and ive decided to buy an ep3. so i picked up an oil filter the other day for my ef and checked to see if they had any 02's left.
they have 2 taffeta whites and a silver and i really want one of those white ones. this will be my first time buying a new car and i really dont want to get ripped off.

so heres my question:
the asking price was 22,xxx and theyre asking price now is 19,3xx. so REALISTICLY(sp) what would be a decent price to pay? i want floormats and such but i dont need no b.s. paint treatments. i live in HI and we gotta pay more for everything down here but it seems like the si isnt getting any love so i would be doing honda a favor.
i just want to try and get a general idea of what is a reasonable price for me to settle with. i appreciate the feedback and i hope to be a permanent member of EPhatch.com before the end of Feb.[1.9%apr];) thanks

gito
02-07-2003, 06:15 AM
$22. Wow thats really high!!! Here in MI the prices are not that bad, in my dealer the price for a 03 is around $19 and for a 02 $17 or $16. So I would talk and get a better deal.
I want to get mine in march and I think I'll be paying 19,475 out the door. People said that it's better to get a 02 because you can save big money!!! Think about it:)

ssvr6
02-07-2003, 08:16 AM
He's on the island, EVERYTHING is expensive there. Can't you go to CA and "ferry" the car over? You could pick it up for like $16k there.

Steve

EViLsneakyDUCK
02-07-2003, 08:19 AM
i guess there are reasons why Hawaii sucks :) When i was lookin for my EP, 02's were 15,500 to 15,950. I decided to get an 03 only due to the blue color...damn color made me spend 16,995 :'(
however, i did end up getting 1.9APR for 60 months. The dealer also threw in the Si floormats for free...i think my saleman didnt know i had to buy em. Was the normal price they were asking 22,000? Im guessing around 19,000 is good since thats about 3,000 off since EP's here are discounted from about 3,000-4000 off msrp

My_Blk_Si
02-07-2003, 08:38 AM
WOW... I can understand price mark-ups in Hawaii but $19,000 for an '02. I picked up my '02 for $16,200 OTD. I would try to work the price alot especially being that they need to get rid of those '02's.

The dealer also threw in free floor mats and the SI car cover.

Always remember it's easier to work up than down. I would tell them something like 16,500 otd and hope for 17,500 otd.

BlairSpeed
02-07-2003, 12:11 PM
If you looking at a 2002 SI, dont pay more then 17k for it. I got my '02 SI in November and i only paid $14995 or $16200 out da doo'. so you would think that 4 months later you would be able to get an even better deal like some free mats or a car cover like posted above.

kpxplaya415
02-07-2003, 04:16 PM
Do you guys just ignore everyone else's post....

As Steve said everything in Hawaii is expensive compared to the US. And you should probably try the ferry idea if it will save you a couple thousand on the car.

IceD out N CALI
02-07-2003, 04:45 PM
yup Hawaii is a different ball game they can get away with it, but i'd still not let them sell me an 02 for 19k. i'd say 17k would be decent for hawaii
you gotta deal with them though, they're probably gonna give you a lot of bs say'n "no," but if you deal with them they'll call u 2 weeks later willing to work with ya:)

sleepinEP3
02-09-2003, 03:54 AM
22 was the price last year i guess, its marked down to 19,3xx and i have to work from there. i didnt speak with any salesman yet. they irritate me :rolleyes:
shipping from Cali is no less then 800. but if i went that route who would i go to for warranty problems? would my local honda dealer take care of that or would i be screwed?

i appreciate all the feedback, my ef is officially for sale so i can put a little down on the EP. on my next day off ill probly go down and take a test drive and have a talk with a salesman. thanks again fellas

EViLsneakyDUCK
02-09-2003, 03:06 PM
if you bought it in Cali, your local dealer should take your car in for warranty. Since its a 3 year warranty by Honda, not from the dealer so its a nation wide thing i believe

Accordexcpe95
02-09-2003, 05:17 PM
jus got my 02 si for 16G out the door... at first they were trying to sell it to me for 175xx + destination+tax, after talked to the sale for a long hour, they finally lowered it to 15G for the car + tax. :D
the 1.9%APR, they wouldn't do it for the 02 si, only the 03.. :confused:
by the way, i got the white si, i took out the ugly pin stripes(red and blue :mad: )right after i got home. thanx for everyones advice, it's very easy to take out with a hair dryer. so far i love everyting about the si.. except i always wanted to pass the 4K rpm barrier :p , can't wait 'til i break in the motor :D

napapacoda
02-10-2003, 01:18 AM
Offtopic:A guy I know at a dealership told me that I could pick one up from him for only $14,500 now. Not demo, brand new 02.

Ontopic: Since these people don't have a clue on Hawaii's prices (myself included), I would just compare prices with dealers around you. If you feel it is a good deal for your location, go for it. Sure you'll pay more now, but in a few years, hopefully it will be worth more if you trade it in than if you sold it in the continental US.

blueiedgod
02-10-2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Accordexcpe95
jus got my 02 si for 16G out the door... at first they were trying to sell it to me for 175xx + destination+tax, after talked to the sale for a long hour, they finally lowered it to 15G for the car + tax. :D
the 1.9%APR, they wouldn't do it for the 02 si, only the 03.. :confused:
by the way, i got the white si, i took out the ugly pin stripes(red and blue :mad: )right after i got home. thanx for everyones advice, it's very easy to take out with a hair dryer. so far i love everyting about the si.. except i always wanted to pass the 4K rpm barrier :p , can't wait 'til i break in the motor :D

I hate to burst your bubble, but 1.9% applied to both 2002 and 2003 civic's. I would have walked away from the dealer that plays games with financing. 1.9% saves about $3K over 4.9% loan over 60 months. If you got financing from "Primus" or other second tier lender, the dealer pockets $600 for referring you to them, and they may pocket half the difference between the interest rate you got and the 1.9%. Advice for the future, honda offers independent financing approval, you can get approved by honda and then go to your local dealer and negotiate the price.

As far as the price in hawai, I assume there is only one honda dealer in the area. So you can not put them against each other. What you can do, is simply state that current mainlaind prices on 2002's are about $4000 less than the original sticker. MSRP $19xxx, current $149xx. since their original sticker was $22xxx, offer to "take the LAST YEAR'S model off their hands" for $17x00 (including destination!!!) if they insist on the $19xxx price, simply tell them that you can ferry one from main land for $800, and buy it there for $15000 (including destination) your total expence would be $15800.
good luck

sleepinEP3
02-15-2003, 04:18 AM
UPDATE

so i finally had a day off thurs. and i went to all 3 dealers on the island. only one still had those 3 02s left.
so i talked to a young guy and he told me the lowest they could give it to me is 18,900 WITHOUT tax. i told him i could get one from Cali for 16,000 and ship it down for 800 and he told me theres no way anyone would sell one for 16.
i go home and get on the computer at about 5pm[8pm west coast] and within an hour i got a quote for 15,990 from honda of El Cerrito without taxes. the only problem is i have to fly there to purchase the car. now i want the car in my name so i can build credit and i need my Pops to co-sign so thats 2 plane tickets already. then i still have to ship it.
i went back to my local honda at around 7:30 with the printed quote but the guy i talked to went home for the day. i talked to another young guy and he goes inside, then comes back out and tells me he suggests i go with the deal i got in Cali. because he doesnt think theyll go any lower.

so should i wait to see if my local dealer will call me back or what. i think it would come out to about the same either way. im also thinking about going back with my Dad to negociate a little more because i dont think that they believe im really gonna buy the car.
and the most messed up part about this is my good friend's NEXT door neighbor is the owner of the Honda that im trying to buy from. im trying to talk my friend into asking him to cut me a deal but he says he dont even go to work anymore, he just rides dirtbike and jet-skis all day long:( . but yeah i think im gonna go over there one day soon and just tell my friend to ask, no harm in trying right?

Jpax
02-15-2003, 08:19 AM
Hi and welcome to the site. You can keep talking to them all you want, but sometime those's bastereds just don't budge. thats when you go to a different dealer and have price wars..... :cool:

Oh and I'm in HI every year for at least 2-3 weeks, That's if you get the car.....:D

ssvr6
02-15-2003, 11:34 AM
Why do you have to go there? You can do 99% over the phone and the rest can be done with notaries and certified mail.

Call the dealership and explain the situation to them.

Steve

NyQuil
05-22-2008, 09:59 AM
i say buy the ep3 man;) , haha jk jk jk

Elise98
05-22-2008, 10:11 AM
did you realize it was 5 years old, then went back and edited your post?

ep3er
05-22-2008, 10:14 AM
02 Si it shouldn't be more than $11K tops in excellent condition. In the island expect to pay over $2k more.

FoReVaPmP
05-22-2008, 10:24 AM
*Closed* I hope he bought the car...:mredface:

jimmyjames
05-22-2008, 02:23 PM
*Closed* I hope he bought the car...:mredface:...5 years ago :mfrown: