PDA

View Full Version : Scratched Finish Help?

NamingException
02-07-2003, 07:48 PM
Let me preface this by saying one thing:

I am a complete moron.

Okay, now that we've got that out of the way, this is what I need advice about. I just removed my rear Civic badge, it's something that I've been meaning to do for a while, and I just washed the car, so I figured what the hell. I take off the badge and am left with the nasty goop that sticks it to the car. This seems to be the same goop that holds the headlights together. It's very cold here, so the goop is good and hard and doesn't want to come off.

Well, it's been a long day, and I'm tired and not thinking at all, so I say to myself "Yeah, sure. Warm water and some mild soap. No solvents to hurt my precious paint!" Long story short, I'm scrubbing the gunk for a few minutes before I realize what a MORON I am. I go buy some Goof Off and get the rest of it off, but it's too late- I've scuffed the finish up all around where the badge was. I can see the word "Civic" in shiny black niceness, surrounded by hazy finish.

I'm not very happy with myself. What can I do here? Do I have any hope of having shiny black nothingness there, or will my car forever look dumb as shit? Any special products I can use?

Thanks.

NamingException
02-09-2003, 03:17 PM
After a wash and wax (not fun in sub-freezing temps) it looks a little better, but still bad. How much will a paint touch up cost me? It's like a six inch section that looks bad. I wish I could somehow paint it myself with touchup paint or something, but I don't think there's hope in that.

i-WERKS
02-10-2003, 12:41 PM
try using a swirl mark removed like meguires scratch x or deep crystal paint cleaner followed by some polish and wax.