PDA

View Full Version : nitrous bet /HELP ME WIN//

2k2civicSi
02-07-2003, 08:45 PM
i have a bet to settle this is it if you have an open bottle spraying and there is no fuel presint is it possible to ignite??
thanks

this is what i go b. No. Nitrous oxide by itself is non-flammable. However, the oxygen present in nitrous oxide causes combustion of fuel to take place more rapidly.

ssvr6
02-07-2003, 10:00 PM
At the source (where the gas is being released from the bottle) it's not flamable. further away (much further) you might get some of the oxygen to ignite, but I doubt it.

It's an accelerant and is not flammable.

Steve

SiR Medic
02-07-2003, 10:02 PM
Let's see if I remember my chemistry...

Nitrous, or N20 is as the formula states: 2 nitrogen ions and 1 oxygen ion.

Now the earth's atmosphere is mostly nitrogen, oxygen, carbon dioxide, and water vapor, (with trace amounts of other gases).

Exposing the N20 with the energy of an open flame will add energy to the chemical allowing it to react with other surrounding elements... Which are mostly nitrogen and oxygen.

N20 + 02 + N2 = N20 + 02 + N2
ergo: no reaction

Now if you were to add hydrogen in the mix (ie. in the form of our favourite hydrocarbon, gasoline) Thats when you get the oxygen from the N20 to mix with the hydrogen and carbon of the gasoline, producing H20(water vapor), CO2(carbon dioxide), and NOx (which is cleaned up in the catalytic converter to make NO2)

Clear as mud?

Okay the short answer: Nitrous is not cumbustible, it is an oxidizer. It is dangerous around open flame for the same reason pure oxygen is, because it makes combustibles easier to catch fire.

So if you hold a match to a bottle of nitrous that is spraying, the nitrous will not combust, but the match will burn quicker.

I gotta go lie down now.

Jpax
02-09-2003, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by SiR Medic
Let's see if I remember my chemistry...

I gotta go lie down now.

Happy baboon says

sniperSI
02-09-2003, 06:41 PM
well as in F&F if you sit there and shoot a machine gun at a nitrous bottle chances are the heat from the bullet/ spark or some other source would ignite the bottle and make it blow up.

Yes it is an oxidzer however any open flame would make it possibly expolde, being of course you had a bunch of yakuza type japs on 1100 cc bikes shooting at your ep3.

xlr8
02-09-2003, 07:21 PM
at about 570 degrees is when the nitrogen and oxygen atoms seperate. so if its less then that temp. it isnt going to explode

Silverstreak
02-10-2003, 09:13 AM
N2O will not ignite by its self no matter what you do. Of course the bottle will explode if you shoot it with a gun, its under pressure. A can of nitrogen will also explode if you shoot it as well. As for how N20 helps your engine run better is because of the added oxygen and the cooling properties. The N2O will not separate untill it hits around 570 degrees( or some temp around there) Then you get the needed oxygen that you motor needs.

2k2civicSi
02-10-2003, 09:19 AM
thanks guys

SiR Medic
02-10-2003, 09:23 AM
*Shakes fist*

I'll get you Happy Baboon... I'll get you if it's the last thing I do...

ssvr6
02-10-2003, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by sniperSI
well as in F&F if you sit there and shoot a machine gun at a nitrous bottle chances are the heat from the bullet/ spark or some other source would ignite the bottle and make it blow up.

Yes it is an oxidzer however any open flame would make it possibly expolde, being of course you had a bunch of yakuza type japs on 1100 cc bikes shooting at your ep3.

Didn't we argue about this last time?

Steve

Tekdemon
02-12-2003, 10:13 PM
I dunno about this...you would never want to leave oxygen tanks around leaking out because that would mean almost anything near it could combust...
So if the nitrous started leaking in your cabin and something sparked somewhere your ass could be on fire because something in the cabin might be flammable.

ssvr6
02-12-2003, 10:39 PM
No. If it was at all flammable, it would have a giant f-ing warning on it. Instead, it just says ACCELERANT and UNDER PRESSURE.

Every monkey lord that says its like the FNF needs to read.

http://www.mwsc.com/MSDS/19.PDF

Steve

NamingException
02-13-2003, 07:25 AM
Read about how nitrous works on auto.howstuffworks.com (http://auto.howstuffworks.com) here:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question259.htm

There's a whole lot of information on engines and such on the site. People who don't know a whole lot about internal combustion engines (me!) will find it a very good resource.

SiR Medic
02-13-2003, 08:05 AM
Read about how nitrous works on auto.howstuffworks.com here:

Good link!

http://www.mwsc.com/MSDS/19.PDF

This should settle it once and for all! Like it says "NON-FLAMMABLE"