PDA

View Full Version : racing harnesses

4g63dsm
02-10-2003, 09:34 PM
anyone put harnesses in their car? the hole in the back of the seat is so small i don';t thinkit would work well with the two belts overapping in the seat. The rsx seats have the perfect size hole:( i like our seats alot and i don't wanna replace them for racing seats, but i do want harnesses

Jtaylor
02-16-2003, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by 4g63dsm
anyone put harnesses in their car? the hole in the back of the seat is so small i don';t thinkit would work well with the two belts overapping in the seat. The rsx seats have the perfect size hole:( i like our seats alot and i don't wanna replace them for racing seats, but i do want harnesses

Ive got one for sale, if anyone is intersted, and it will fit your stock seats. here the pic.

Jtaylor
02-16-2003, 09:22 PM
I dont have on of the back , but if you goto sparco's website, its the 3 pt. Double Buckle. Has a buckle @ the "y" and give quick release.

ssvr6
02-16-2003, 09:26 PM
The hole in our seat isn't the same...

http://bellsouthpwp.net/s/s/ssvr6/Si/Si_1.jpg

Also, it's not really that safe to run a harness without it being mounted to a roll cage/bar. It could cause more harm than good.

Steve

Jtaylor
02-16-2003, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by ssvr6
The hole in our seat isn't the same...

http://bellsouthpwp.net/s/s/ssvr6/Si/Si_1.jpg

Also, it's not really that safe to run a harness without it being mounted to a roll cage/bar. It could cause more harm than good.

Steve

I know, what im saying is there is a buckle thats behind my seat, it could sit in the cavity, thus making the harness work. Ill take a pic tommarow for ya.

Jared

Jtaylor
02-16-2003, 09:43 PM
http://www.sparcousa.com/pharness_tuning.asp?id=400

Jtaylor
02-16-2003, 09:43 PM
http://www.sparcousa.com/images/400.jpg

ssvr6
02-17-2003, 06:28 AM
I see what you're saying, but I still think that they're not safe. Their angle in terms where they have to be hooked up to when or if an accident occurs needs to be within a certain range. By installing these in "stock" locations (like the rear clips and stock bolts) you're taking a chance of injuring yourself for the sake of looking cool.

It's like having a full roll cage in a street driven car. You get in an accident and your melon will get the shit beat out of it on that thing.

JMO.

Steve

Jtaylor
02-17-2003, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by ssvr6
I see what you're saying, but I still think that they're not safe. Their angle in terms where they have to be hooked up to when or if an accident occurs needs to be within a certain range. By installing these in "stock" locations (like the rear clips and stock bolts) you're taking a chance of injuring yourself for the sake of looking cool.

It's like having a full roll cage in a street driven car. You get in an accident and your melon will get the shit beat out of it on that thing.

JMO.

Steve

agreed, mine has been used for just auto x, hinse why im selling it.

ssvr6
02-17-2003, 08:07 AM
Oh, I see.

:)

Steve

TrippZ
02-20-2003, 07:22 PM
how much? 2 sets?

Jtaylor
02-20-2003, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by TrippZ
how much? 2 sets?

One set, 75 bucks. Its been used once .

pocketrocket
02-21-2003, 06:55 PM
Racing harness' aren't inherently dangerous in a street car, but the problem comes when you try and mount the rear bolts to the floor.. due to the geometry of the belts, it would compress your spine when enough force is applied. If you fabbed a bar to go across from the upper rear seat belt mounting points, (imho) it'd be safe. Or even just mounted a 3 point to one of those same points.

But to each his own.
-PR

TrippZ
02-21-2003, 07:22 PM
hmmm how do you mount it? and how much is a new set?

Jtaylor
02-22-2003, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by TrippZ
hmmm how do you mount it? and how much is a new set?

behind my rear seat, there is an open bolt hole. Fit perfectly behind the seats.

New was 95

S2KplusSI
02-24-2003, 05:41 PM
I've wanted to put harnesses in my S2000 because I auto-x it frequently, and I still haven't done it because it is unsafe on the street, however I'm fabricating a custom roll bar to mount it to, so I should have harnesses put in soon.

Jtaylor
02-24-2003, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by S2KplusSI
I've wanted to put harnesses in my S2000 because I auto-x it frequently, and I still haven't done it because it is unsafe on the street, however I'm fabricating a custom roll bar to mount it to, so I should have harnesses put in soon.

wanna sparco harness ;)

jo3y
03-12-2003, 09:29 PM
the mounting point for a racing harness has to be at least shoulder height. This means fabricating a bar, connected direclty to the chassis behind the front windows to use the harness as it was designed for. That means you might as well gut the rear too. No more back seat entry. Mounting them to the floor will break your lower spine in a front end collision.

Kwazie
04-19-2003, 12:31 AM
Im happy with my good old seat belt =)

SHAKEnBAKE
04-21-2003, 06:46 PM
There's another repost on this topic just recently, anyways let me quote from Sparco USA website (http://www.sparcousa.com)
"It is strongly recommended that the shoulder harnesses are fitted as close to horizontal as possible. It is a must that the angle of the shoulder harness does not exceed 45 degrees in relation to the theoretical horizontal axis of the mounting points. It is recommended that the harnesses be mounted to the fixing points suggested by the car manufacturer. The fixing points should always be reinforced by a steel plate fitted on the outer side of the car, not by welding or pop riveting."
:)

BlackNRedSi
04-23-2003, 09:13 AM
AHH, thanks shakenbake!

i am not sure now if i will get these belts...cause i have alot of friends that move the passenger seats to their liking...and if your belts should be in a certian position, i dont want anyone to get hurt....

i dont know, maybe i will wait till there is a roll bar for our car!

Eric

JoshSI
04-28-2003, 08:20 AM
Our cars are to slow to need this

ssvr6
04-28-2003, 08:32 AM
Agreed. That and our seats aren't made for them.

Get new seats, a roll bar, and a K20A2-T and then worry about it.

;)

Steve