PDA

View Full Version : Effects of tuning on engine life?

stingyboy
07-26-2002, 01:26 PM
does anyone know what adding a turbo, supercharger, or nitrous to our engines does to the life expectancy of the engine? and which set-up is best for our engine for power?

punkdork
07-26-2002, 01:29 PM
Dude.. it all depends. A good setup can last a long time. A bad setup can kill an engine quickly and a really bad setup with nos can blow up a car/garage/small city... ;)

Everyone has their own opinons on what the best setup is. I think for our cars, the quality of the kit and tuning will matter more than whether its a turbo or a supercharder.

PJsSCW
07-26-2002, 01:31 PM
THE RESULT OF ADDING SUPERCHARGER, TURBO, OR NITROUS IS HIGHER COMPRESSION......

HIGHER COMPRESSION = LOWER ENGINE LIFE

grooveline
07-26-2002, 01:43 PM
its especially bad if you throw a turbo or supercharger on there with our high ass 9.8:1 compression

SmoothOperator
07-26-2002, 03:28 PM
Can someone explain how compression affects turbo/supercharging? And also...What does that compression ration mean??

bare with me.

punkdork
07-26-2002, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by SmoothOperator
Can someone explain how compression affects turbo/supercharging? And also...What does that compression ration mean??

bare with me.

Compression Ratio I'm not sure of the definition. Though as stated above, high compression is bad news for running boost. Favorable compression ratios for boost are mid to low 8s.

The higher the compression ratio the more likely you are to experience detonation under boots. Detonation, if I recall correctly, is gasoline ignitine from the pressure rather than the spark. This throws off the ignition cycle and can screw up valves and destroy pistons and more.

High octane and proper air fuel mixture are really important in protecting an engine under boost.

Hopefully this info will be added to by others.