PDA

View Full Version : Cowl induction or ram air

padelong si
02-11-2003, 06:33 AM
He guys, I had a idea while I was at work last night. What if someone fabricated a special air intake box for us that had a opening in the top . The hole in the top could have a foam gasket on it that sealed up against the hood. Then we could have a hood scoop installed over ther hole in the intake box to be used in one of two ways. 1st way could be a Ram Air system with oprning of scoop facing front of car, or 2nd way , the scoop could be facind the windshield for a cowl induction effect. If someone or some company made a special fiberglass or carbon fiber hood for us with this prevision for a air intake box there would probable be pretty good gains in power and there would be less worry about water getting in engine lika a regular cold air intake.

This is just a brain storm I had so tell me what you think.:)

TrippZ
02-11-2003, 09:29 AM
wouldnt rain water just be slammed into the scoop while driving? sounds even mroe dangerous then a CAI to me

BlasTech
02-11-2003, 09:38 AM
The hood can actually be a lower pressure zone in some spots.
If anyone sets out to do this, its important that it is researched with a pressure sensor (about $20) to get the area of the hood that actually has useable pressure. usually the base of the windshield has good pressure. But actually there is a good amt of air being sucked up from below the car too.

Type X
02-11-2003, 10:09 AM
eh on a cowl hood
but the mugen grill and mugen intake are actually functional
as a "ram air grill"

mugen grill 250
mugen intake 650
total cost = 900

butchering hood at a shop =200
home depot tubing = 10
hydrolocking your motor = priceless

TrippZ
02-11-2003, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Type X

butchering hood at a shop =200
home depot tubing = 10
hydrolocking your motor = priceless

roflmao

padelong si
02-11-2003, 03:02 PM
Thanks for all the imput. Like I said it was just an idea.
I know other car companies have pulled this off.
could even make a airbox with a scoop system made on it. Then the hood could have a hole in it to let the scoop come through,

Yeah i know it sounds to much like a ford shacker hood scoop.LOL
Never mind just having some brain farts lol
Thanks for your comments guys.:p

JunEP3
02-12-2003, 05:40 PM
actually it's not a bad idea.

K&N has something like that out for the RSX in japan, doubt you'll be able to find it here though.