PDA

View Full Version : OEM Civic Type R shift boot

MCeez02Si
02-11-2003, 11:39 PM
http://www.optauto.com/webstore/product_information.asp?number=HON-CTRSB1&variation=&aitem=5&mitem=163&back=yes&dept=208

pappaljf
02-12-2003, 12:23 AM
I bought this and installed it. I had an aluminum RSX shift knob and didn't like how it looked with the non-JDM boot. Took 10 minutes install. Anyone who buys this will be intially disappointed, as the boot is quite small and sits well below the shift knob. The trick to get that true JDM look is to wrap a little electrical tape around the shift linkage (the copper colored stick under the boot and knob. Then, I gave the JDM boot a little tug upward. I only have an inch or so between the knob and the boot, and it looks right of a brochure from Japan! If anyone cares, I'll post pics.

Options auto is cool, I'm aware most of their stuff can be found for less, but they've been prompt in shipping everytime.

Suk02Si
02-12-2003, 02:43 AM
what's the diff? Looks like the same ol' accordian boot.

dustinhurley
02-12-2003, 09:11 AM
I think the difference is the clip at the top of the boot that meets with the shift knob. Using the stock boot I don't think it lines up well with the JDM shift knob. I'm not 100% on any of this. Just what I've gathered from my research.

pappaljf
02-12-2003, 10:06 AM
Here is the promised pic of JDM-goodness Look how big the stock boot is by comparison! It's not just the fake chrome ring, the whole american OEM boot is bigger

golferjn
02-12-2003, 03:05 PM
nice shift knob

pappaljf
02-12-2003, 03:24 PM
Thx! It's an option for the RSX, you can get it from any acura dealer. I'm getting a Skunk2 knob in the mail next week, so one will soon be for sale....

william
02-12-2003, 08:21 PM
Here is the promised pic of JDM-goodness Look how big the stock boot is by comparison! It's not just the fake chrome ring, the whole american OEM boot is bigger

I call BS man, the boots are the exact same size! All i changed was the little chrome cap at the top (takes 5 seconds!) the boot on the type R and the SI are EXACTLY THE SAME! Measure, check. I'm serious. But anyways, good job on the new boot, I know it makes the gear selector Way more attractive, except the aluminum knob is a bitch in the winter (had my finger stick to the shift knob once in -30 C ......was not funny)

Also if anyone is interested i made a few copies of the chrome cap on the type-R boot, they're painted silver. If anyone wants one I'd say PM me, but my PM box is broken, so just leave a post here and i'll get back to you. Later all.

civic hatch boi
02-12-2003, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by william

I call BS man, the boots are the exact same size! All i changed was the little chrome cap at the top (takes 5 seconds!) the boot on the type R and the SI are EXACTLY THE SAME! Measure, check. I'm serious. But anyways, good job on the new boot, I know it makes the gear selector Way more attractive, except the aluminum knob is a bitch in the winter (had my finger stick to the shift knob once in -30 C ......was not funny)

Also if anyone is interested i made a few copies of the chrome cap on the type-R boot, they're painted silver. If anyone wants one I'd say PM me, but my PM box is broken, so just leave a post here and i'll get back to you. Later all.
why call bs? why would he lie about it? he has it right in front of him, i dont think he's stupid enough not to know a difference in size.

CivicHB
02-12-2003, 09:47 PM
The first accordian rib on the type-r boot looks smaller to me in "that" pic. The rest of the ribs seem to follow suite.

downhil
02-12-2003, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by william

im interested....how much do you want for one. email me at scottsparks2002@yahoo.com or pm me. thanks!

william
02-12-2003, 10:24 PM
My bad, i take back the BS, but the type-R boot i got is exactly the same as my stock boot. Sorry if I offended anyone, I take back my BS call.

goldy02
02-12-2003, 10:28 PM
hey william,

what are they made of and how much

william
02-12-2003, 10:48 PM
bump

Makross
02-13-2003, 09:07 PM
i dont see whats the difference

modern-perf
02-15-2003, 02:08 PM
I have one too...bought it because it was JDM and it eliminates the clip that goes into the stock knob. Looks great with my S2000 knob and I did the same thing as pappaljf and wrapped a little electrical tape around the shit lever to keep the boot from sliding down. The boot itself is identical to the Si...the difference is in the chrome ring around the top. Hardly worth the $46.95 it costs, but it IS genuine Honda and true JDM.

http://modern-performance.com/swappictures/photo014.jpg

golferjn
02-15-2003, 08:11 PM
nice shift knob

TrippZ
02-16-2003, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by golferjn
nice shift knob

best part is, its not even rice... :-* 6 spd pwnZ u

the JigGa mAn
02-16-2003, 08:16 PM
i think ill save my money and put it twoards my DC5R motor swap:)