PDA

View Full Version : need second opinions

1 fstr si
02-12-2003, 08:39 AM
ok, heres what im doin for now. im going to get a set of 18's and i am trying to dedide if i want 215/35's or 215/40's. which do you think would be best, and am i going to have any rubbing? in the process of getting to my house are a set of progress spings, 1.8 drop in front, and 1.5 drop in back. what type of shocks are out there for our cars and what would be best for this set up. also, im pretty sure i will need a camber kit for this drop, who makes em and will i need just a front kit, just a rear kit, or both a front and a rear kit. with this setup will i have any rubbing or anyhting like that and ow do you guys think it will look. and in case your wondering why i didnt do a search for this info, i am a lil cramped for time right now, so, thanks for any info that you can give me.

dustinhurley
02-12-2003, 09:02 AM
I'll give you some insight from my experience.

I have Sprint springs that are a 2" drop at all corners. At one time, I had 18" C3's with a 40 profile tire. I had no rub and camber wasn't that bad. However, the tire just didn't look right. Also, my speedometer was off about 5 mph going 60 mph. I also felt a loss in acceleration due to the increase in overall diameter.

Now, I have 18" GT5's with a 35 profile tire. It deffinately looks better and feels better. Not as much loss in acceleration due to the overall diamter being close to stock (if not the same, I can't remember). Speedometer doesn't seem to be off. Also, camber isn't that bad.

I would suggest finding a calculator that tells overall diamter and how much your speedometer will be off. I knew at one time the exact numbers, but I forget now. I cannot answer your other questions.

EP33
02-12-2003, 03:07 PM
How wide are the 18s you plan on getting? I too have 18 (7.5" wide), I have size 215/40. I feel better knowing that I have just a bit more sidewall on my tire protecting my wheels. I haven't really noticed any changes in the speedo or acceleration. My car is stock height still and I am waiting (approximately 6 months from now) on Bilstein to come out with a shock for our car. Koni has shocks.

My car (http://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6399)

IceD out N CALI
02-12-2003, 04:40 PM
35's would look better and look less 4x4ish, however you'd have less protection for the wheel. as long as you dont drive over a lot of potholes every day i'd go with the 35's. i wouldnt get 40's with the ep look a lil funny. If i had a bigger car (e.g. accord) i'd do 40's:)

EP33
02-12-2003, 08:53 PM
Side bar. . . .How do you feel about guys with aftermarket 16s and the size of the side wall on those rims?

IceD out N CALI
02-12-2003, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by EP33
Side bar. . . .How do you feel about guys with aftermarket 16s and the size of the side wall on those rims?

16s are fine (look a tad bit on small side imo, but weight savings is good)... as far as tires? 205 50 16 is almost dead on stock wheel/tire combo probably the best size to get for 16imo:)

EP33
02-13-2003, 06:57 PM
Very diplomatic response ;)