PDA

View Full Version : Sick of my damned, misbehaving tranny

cbecker333
02-12-2003, 12:37 PM
This has come up before, but today I noticed something new. It was cold out this morning, and my 1-2 shift was really crappy. I was driving, and attempted to shift gently from 1-2. Instead of shifting, the stick stuttered and a grinding noise came from the tranny. When this happened, I had the clutch pedal ALL THE WAY IN. WTF is this? bullshit, thats what I say. fucking fix it, honda

Anyway, the other thing I noticed today is that, yeah my 1-2 shift seems crappy, but at the same temperature 3-4 is PERFECT, SMOOTH, NO HESITATION. How can 1-2 be crappy due to temperature conditions, if 3-4 is totally fine at the same temp?

I'm so sick of that notchy 1-2 shift and its getting worse.....

sonic imperial
02-12-2003, 01:09 PM
I've got the same problem on cold mornings. I wish I knew how much damage it was actually doing. I've felt that "stuttering" trying to get it into 2nd, especially on the first couple of 1-2 shifts. After it's been driven down the road a few minutes it tends to go away. The other shifts are fine, occasionally 5th is a little quirky but nothing worth getting looked at. I've tried adjusting my shift angle going into 2nd, by pulling slightly to the right when coming down, and that seems to have helped it out also. I don't know why it's so picky, but it is. Honda can't detect the problem because by the time I drop it of at the dealer I've driven it 10 miles. The car is warmed up. I'd have to leave it for several hours or overnight and I can't afford that kind of missed time right now from work. I can't wait for warmer weather, I only started having this problem when winter set in, on the few warm days we have I don't get the problem.

dchu
02-12-2003, 01:41 PM
Same problem here. The only way to avoid it is to shift very slowly until it warms up. It doesn't really grind but kinda makes a "clack" before slipping in. None of my hondas before were like this new, only until they were beat on from hard driving. I only have 1300 miles on my Si right now.

mental
02-12-2003, 01:46 PM
my 3-4 is cranky sometimes... like literaly some times it just will not let me into 4th! i have to back off a little and try it again... i know what yall mean now! before i had problems and i thought it was my shifting and if my very well be but there is something deffinetly wrong when it does this shit consistently!!!

anjapower
02-12-2003, 03:14 PM
I think I have the same problem in 2nd gear. But I don't know if it is my mind playing tricks on me....

On a cold start, 2nd gear seems to "crunch" instead of "click."
(Not the tranny itself but the shifter). After a few minutes of driving it goes away, but it is still annoying. I've also tried working on the angle of the shift and it seems to help a bit.

But...I don't know if this problem is of concern yet.:confused:

Spidey
02-12-2003, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by anjapower
I think I have the same problem in 2nd gear. But I don't know if it is my mind playing tricks on me....

On a cold start, 2nd gear seems to "crunch" instead of "click."
(Not the tranny itself but the shifter). After a few minutes of driving it goes away, but it is still annoying. I've also tried working on the angle of the shift and it seems to help a bit.

But...I don't know if this problem is of concern yet.:confused:
this is what exactly happens to me. it also happens from 2-3. I just thought this was normal because this is my first manual shift car. but from what i'm reading it's not normal? What damage does it do? If it doesn't do any real harm, then I'm not going to worry about it. It's just an inconvenience I suppose.

anjapower
02-12-2003, 09:04 PM
I've read some other threads and supposedly as long as the tranny itself doesn't grind, we are OK. But I am unsure what is wrong and right as this is also my first manual transmissioned car.

Makross
02-12-2003, 09:10 PM
yeah this happens to me too..just leave the engine to warm up alil bit then youll be aiite