PDA

View Full Version : I can't decide what to buy.

oberkfell
02-12-2003, 09:00 PM
How many times have you seen this post? Anyway I have narrowed my car search down to the RSX-S, WRX, Sentra SER SPEC V and Civic Si. Some say they are not in the same class, and I somewhat agree.

The first three require premium.
I can get the RSX-S for 100 below invoice.
I can get the WRX for 1000 below invoice.
I can get the SER at invoice.
I can get the 02 Civic SI for 15500 and an 03 for 17k.

RSX-S drove great, loved the leather, auto climate control, speed, etc. The only problem is the damn thing chips paint just like my 96 Integra GSR did. Everyone I know has this problem.

WRX - a beast this car is great. Only problem -- drinks gas and I drive 100 miles round trip to work.

SER - I liked it, but everyone says the transmissions suck.

Civic Si - love the seats, handles pretty decent (even with the insight tires), like the hatchback feature and the shifter.
Problems geez it needs dropped or a body kit. I for one will never drop another car living in Illinois. The roads suck and my current car (don't laugh) a dropped 02 Neon R/T drives like crap. My brothers dropped civic ex also rides like crap. So its not the car.

So if I buy the Si what costs am I looking at to make the exterior look decent; ie body kit. Not a snow plow, but something that will make it look dropped.

By the way the WRX is cheaper for me to insure than the Honda and Nissan.

Peace

civicracer.com
02-12-2003, 09:04 PM
yellow monte carlo SS

id rock that!

silver ep
02-12-2003, 09:46 PM
If your worried about the gas consumption then definately get the ep.

Suk02Si
02-12-2003, 09:50 PM
I drove the SE-R and didn't like it; it's a canyon killer though, torque!:D

A friends WRX always has some kind of tranny problems

RSX or Si would be a better choice

NineOne
02-12-2003, 10:52 PM
I drove both an RSX-S and an SI (SiR here in Canada), the SE-R Spec-V (last years model) and I'm going to take the WRX for a little spin soon.

Personally if I were to choose between the two (rsx, sir), there is no doubt in my mind that I would go for the RSX-S. However, having said that, I drove the SiR before the RSX and I fell absolutely in love with it at the time, it's a lot of fun to drive, and like you I love the shifter (I didn't think I would, but I do).

Like I said, I would choose the RSX-S, but it also comes down to price, originally I was offered the SiR at the same price as a premium RSX (with the same engine, not the type S engine), I said no, I'd rather have the rsx.
Now I'm having it offered to me for roughly 23 000 CDN (roughly 15,3 USD), thats around 9G less than the RSX-S.

To that end, the SiR is now high on my list of potential cars, and if I were you and money was an issue, I'd keep it high on my list as well :)

Edit: As for the SE-R, I wasn't particularily impressed, it had quite a nice amount of torque, but even with the LSD I didn't really like how it felt. It was likely just the car I was testing, but I left with no desire for the car.

IceD out N CALI
02-12-2003, 11:00 PM
wrx sounds like fun, but if gas mileage is a big concern probably get the rsx-s. however u can get an si so cheap that it makes it hard not to get :)

william
02-12-2003, 11:23 PM
I'd go with the type-s if cost isnt a big issue, but with the money you save on the SI, you can make it look damn good, and still have money left over. The only downer is that the type-s is quicker, but i'd say they both have very similar handling abilities, that is after you change the tires on the SI and maybe add a rear sway bar. Drive em both again then decide if the type-s is worth the extra $$$. Remember that the SI is allot more rare than the type-s, so if exclusivity is your thing, than bonus.

icegrill
02-12-2003, 11:52 PM
What about the mazdaspeed protege? I just checked one out at the dealer last night, it was pretty nice looking except for the seats. I love the wheels and tires plus turbo. Still looks kind of chinsey though. I like the si because it has a presence. It looks beefy and has clean lines to it. If you weren't into cars you would just think another mazda with rims and a stupid spoiler. Not a bad price at 19,500 sticker.

Chrisbgft
02-13-2003, 12:22 AM
hey, where do u live in illinois? I am in Fox Lake which is very far north. Its near gurnee or vernon Hills if u know where those are. Well, i had my old car dropped and it was fine in illinois. I am dropping my EP and putting rims on within a month. I am sure my car will be fine.

Chrisbgft
02-13-2003, 12:27 AM
i bought my EP at Pauly Honda in vernon hills. If u go there ask for Doug. The guy was awesome to deal with. He was a very easy guy to talk to. He will give u a very good deal on a EP. He called all the time to make sure my car was running good and everything. They have EP's there that are dropped and have rims on them already. They are being sold for the same price as a regular EP.

P.S. Sorry about the neon....:D

SiR Medic
02-13-2003, 07:33 AM
The thing I love most about the EP is that you don't see a lot of them around.

Seems like I see a WRX or a RSX everyday, but I can count the other SiRs I've seen on the road with one hand!

Best thing to do is drive them all, and pick the one you enjoy driving the best! Yes, the Type-S and the WRX would be more fun... but are they worth the extra dough?

oberkfell
02-13-2003, 08:00 AM
Thanks, I will give Pauly a phone call. I have been shopping in the Chicago area, but must of missed this one. I'm from central illinois and I'm making the dealership route this weekend.

SiR Medic
02-13-2003, 12:50 PM
yellow monte carlo SS
I'd rock that

http://www.thecarconnection.com/images/gallery/6640_image.jpg

here ya go!

Spidey
02-13-2003, 01:02 PM
make sure you test drive them all right after each other. if test drive the si one week, you'll be "this car rocks" and then the next week you test drive a WRX you'll be like "this car rocks" when you test them all close together you'll be able to get a feel which one is right for you.

LordKoo
02-13-2003, 01:11 PM
Actually, I drove the RSX-S, WRX and Spec V almost 3 to 5 times, could not find the passion in them.

But only one drive in the Civic Si, I brought it... What do you think?

oberkfell
02-13-2003, 05:38 PM
Either way I'm sick of shopping. Subaru dealer 1st, Acura dealer 2nd and Honda Dealership 3rd. Saturday I'm bringing home a new vehicle.

Is the Civic made in Great Britain or Japan?

Suk02Si
02-13-2003, 05:41 PM
Sweden

oberkfell
02-13-2003, 06:46 PM
Seriously - Sweden. I must of been hiding under a rock the last couple of years. They are probably built pretty well, I do know their workforce makes some big bucks, but also pay some hefty taxes.

SiR Medic
02-13-2003, 08:45 PM
Sweden
:rolleyes:

Sweden... Really...

The car is manufactured in Swindon, England!

BTW, Suk02Si...

http://homepage.mac.com/howheels/rubpics/stwoowoolite.jpg

tsa1
02-13-2003, 09:24 PM
dude you can get the wrx for $1000 UNDER INVOICE? get that your gonna pay like 23k OTD.i mean yeah if you got the ep you would save like 7k so its up to you.........man 1k under inv.....

Silver7
02-13-2003, 09:33 PM
wow!
Invoice for WRX is @ $23k (03 model).
and u can get this for 22K ! I think that's pretty good.

02 SI for 15,5. that's not too bad either, just make sure it doesnt have much miles on it.

Personally, I would go with SI because of the value :) but WRX is not too far off.

you mentioned gas price, and yep if u drive that much, it will be a big factor. If you want to drag, get WRX :)

im waiting for them to announce STI prices :)

oberkfell
02-13-2003, 10:30 PM
If they had an award at work for the worst employee, it would be me this past week. I have spent alot of time during work hours calling dealerships from St. Louis to Chicago. Good thing I'm friends with the IT guy. They occassionly monitor internet activity.

You can get a hell of a deal on all of these cars, especially the WRX. The Chicago Auto Show is throwing in an extra 500.00 for this weeks event.

There are two 02 Sis I'm looking at for 15500 +TTL. Both brand new; one black the other silver. But, I also like the white and vivid blue - both 03's. The best I have been offered is 17,100. Of course these are over the phone and they said I may get a better deal when I come in.

Its definitely a buyer's market - foreign & domestic. Especially at the big dealerships. Some jagoff in Springfield, Illinois told me he would not budge below MSRP on the WRX. I just laughed and said you have got to be nuts. He didn't even know the body styles were changing for 04.

I-Vtec..DO-U (New name: SIxtacy)
02-13-2003, 10:52 PM
Hey man. I'm buying an 02 SI on saturday. The honda dealerhsips up here are goin pretty low. Grand Honda in Elmhurst likes whoring these things out. Just give them a call. I'mm getting Silver SI with a set of 17's for $15,800.
By the way, Evanston Subaru or shaumburg Subie will go $500 below invoice.

Where you located at man. Maybe we should arrange a Chicago Meet or sumpin.

Later

- Jeffrey - :D

Suk02Si
02-13-2003, 11:07 PM
Scotland

:D ;)

carbonSI
02-14-2003, 12:23 AM
wow "your" honda dealerships are goin down late! back when i got mine all the 02's were goin for 156 and 41miles on my dash... without the rims tho... they threw in the floormats and carbon dash kit :D should have got the damn fogs too... what was i thinkin? those make the ep look :p with a drop.. anyways, just bein an ass :D -mike

Silver7
02-14-2003, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by I-Vtec..DO-U
Hey man. I'm buying an 02 SI on saturday. The honda dealerhsips up here are goin pretty low. Grand Honda in Elmhurst likes whoring these things out. Just give them a call. I'mm getting Silver SI with a set of 17's for $15,800.
By the way, Evanston Subaru or shaumburg Subie will go $500 below invoice.

Where you located at man. Maybe we should arrange a Chicago Meet or sumpin.

Later

- Jeffrey - :D

oh man.. now that's a deal!!!

yeah Grand honda is good, the whole deal took me less then an hour! unlike schaumberg honda, they dont know jack shit about the car and tried to sell the mudguards for $160... wasted my time..

oberkfell
02-14-2003, 09:26 AM
Silver7 & I-Vtec..DO-U,

With whom did you speak at Grand Honda?

They actually sell their Si's with 17s?

Maybe I will see you there on Saturday, that's of course I don't buy the WRX or RSX-s first.

Chrisbgft
02-14-2003, 11:37 AM
I am telling u go to Pauly Honda in Vernon Hills, Rosen Honda in Gurnee, or the Crystal Lake Honda dealer. All have tons of EP's. All colors and everything. They cant sell ANY of them. When i bought mine i was calling around looking for a 00 SI. They told me to look at an 02 because they were actually cheaper than any 00 SI they had. I went loved my 02 and brought it home. They have an EP in the showroom at Crystal Lake that has 17"s, Lowered, Injen SRI, and it has 3 or 4 miles on it. It was all done by the honda dealer. Seriously, check those dealers out, they will give u great deals!!

P.S. Check out the AWESOME Toyota Echo at the Crystal Lake Honda. ALuminum Wing, big Ol' Tach, oh its the shit..!;)

Z26
02-14-2003, 12:22 PM
if your looking for a good deal on a wrx check out roper subaru in joplin MO. Before I got my si they gave me 1000 under invoice and they would ship the car anywhere for free. I was hearing horror stories about the trans being made of glass and breaking when you look at it funny. I do love my si, very quiet on the highyway. Heads and tails over my 99 mustang.

AlBlueCar
02-14-2003, 05:52 PM
Well, I've driven all of those cars and I have to say that I (obviously) liked the overall package in the Si. The WRX was nice but it's got the worst five speed I've ever driven... It feels so crunchy and the clutch chatters and slips. And the headlights look kinda oogly. I liked the look but the more I saw them, they're ugly bulging eyes.
The RSX and Si have the same engine, RSX-S has 200hp tho, the Civic has a nice short throw 5 speed on the dash, and it feels natural feel to it after 3 shifts or so. The Type S has a smooth 6 speed, but its in the usual place. Clutches are the same, etc. just a different no. of gears. Si's got a bigger interior tho and the seats kick major ass with the alacantra:p . Well, that's my two (hundred) cents.

PS- GET THE SI!!!:D
**EDIT** Community Honda in Orland Park has great service, great roads to test drive on, and If you go Acura, it's right next door.

Jpax
02-14-2003, 05:56 PM
I would like to take the time and say

WOOOOOOOOOOooooo WWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooo

SiR Medic
02-14-2003, 08:43 PM
It is tough to decide among these cars... There is not a dog in the bunch... well, maybe the SE-R;)

However... That being said...

Bubb Rubb says:

http://www.texastoys.com/site/bubbrubbcivicloselilsis2.jpg

:D

Suk02Si
02-15-2003, 04:56 AM
hahahaha, another bubb rubb:D :D

oberkfell
02-15-2003, 11:36 PM
Didn't get to the Honda Dealerships today due to a freaking snow storm in Illinois. Did stop by one Subaru Dealership in Peoria. I talked to a really nice salesman and he really went to bat for me, but the jag off sales manager wouldn't go for the deal.

So I walked out over about 680 bucks. It was the classic conversation with him bringing out a piece of paper with all these freaking numbers and moving them around trying to confuse me. I already have a deal pending w/my trade for 401.00 month for 5 years in Chicago. THe guy basically told me that the other dealer had to have some hidden cost or some secret balloon payment or even a longer term loan. Its just so freaking funny how they try to shift numbers around. I mean, do these guys actually go to training classes to lie their way to a deal?

He asked me how they came up with these numbers.
So I wrote down the invoice price - 500.00 (mfg. cash back) - 500.00 (chicago auto show discount). Took that price - trade - owe x 3.9% over 60 months. WaLa.......401.00.

He looked at me and told me to go buy it at the dealership. The salesman was pissed off, kicked his chair and told me to go buy it from the other store, copy the sales ticket and bring it into him and rub it in his face.

I despise these bastards.

carbonSI
02-16-2003, 12:14 PM
hey, that civic that bubb rubb is talkin about is on team meanstreet located in south carolina :D weird! -mike

oberkfell
02-16-2003, 04:22 PM
I'm obviously behind the times. Who the fark is this dipshit "Bubb Rubb" everyone is referring to.

AlBlueCar
02-16-2003, 06:12 PM
Do a search for Bubb Rubb. He is one of the greastest auto tuners in the world. He has created the greatest performance enhancing part for all cars.:D