PDA

View Full Version : All's quiet on the turbo front?!

Tekdemon
02-12-2003, 10:09 PM
Where does everybody go to talk about the turbos?! I feel like there's almost no posts...what the heck?! Back on the Hyundai performance forums the boost forum would be packed with people, and I heard Honda usually has even more choices to work with, and then there's nothing here...
what the heck?!

Whooopasss
02-13-2003, 06:47 PM
I am working on a turbo set up right now.. everything is complete, including the turbo manidfold. But I am about to go on a 6 week asian vacation so I have to stop for a while (leaving march 26).

I know of one other person who has done and was successful with his turbo install, I saw the pics and everything and I was impressed. They are very hush hush about it but the owner of the car actually posted some pics in here already.

I for one, just sold the intercooler that I have (trust/greddy) since it was too fat for the front bumper.

The turbo setup I will use (I ahve it on hand)

log type turbo manifold
t3 with 60 AR 60 trim compressor and 48 ar turbine with internal waste gate set at 5 Psi
450 cc injectors
SMC + fuel controller
Greddy Type S BOV

This will run with out an intercooler and would look similar to the top fuel kit.

If all else is ok, I will be doing another round of test fit this weekend and I'll take pics for your viewing pleasure.

Again, the only thing that is stoping me right now from installing this is the vacation thing. I ahve to leave my car with a bunch of people taht would grladly "take care" of my car. So me + vacation + turbo installed on my car = no car.

Cheers..

Tekdemon
02-13-2003, 08:48 PM
I could definitely see how an intercooler would have trouble fitting...although I don't know if it's a great idea to make the setup without one at all...let us know how it works though, and be careful about detonation and temps!

Whooopasss
02-13-2003, 09:57 PM
at 6PSi with a rather large compressor housing and trim (60) the charge air temp is not going to be that much of a problem. If you look at the compressor map for a t3 with 60 ar housing and 60 trim, 6 PSi is at the bottom of the ideal operating range of the T3. Also at 6800 RPM, the turbine speed wont be that high.

With our engine having a rather low compression (compared to other honda angines) the risk of geting detonation is less likly but there is still a chance that we will see some.

cybernation has a kit for the type S that is running 9 PSi and no detonation. That is with a stock ECU and no timing retard at all. Fuel injector is handled by a piggyback system with 440 RC injectors (I think).. They are also using a t3/t4 turbo on it with an intercooler installed.

I am very optemistic (spell) about the setup. I am more worried with idling and day to day stop and go driving since the SMC+ is unproven on a K20 engine. With a 450 injector, that is rather large for a say B16 or a B18C, but I think the 450 will hold nicely with the 2.0 since our cars loves fuel from what I heared.,

Another crapy thing is the oil return, You have to remove the subframe just to remove the oil pan and drill a hole on the oil freaking pan.

Also, there is no space on the header side after we did a test fit with the turbo and manifold. The only way you can have a good down pipe is to use tight U butt welld pipes with a size of 2 1/4. Even with this, it is still a tight fit.

Never the less. This kit would have been installed and running for a few weeks now, if not for my trip this march.. ohh well...

BTW, we will run the SMC+ to remove the need for a fuel return line.. others can use a AFC hack if they wanted too. And the other good thing about the SMC+, if the map sensor sees boost, it wont trigger a cel (no check valve or missing link needed)

For boosting 5-6 PSi, no intercooler needed. And my heart is set for 6 PSi right now.. just need to run with the RSX type S around my town..