PDA

View Full Version : Tein Type Flex Pics!

tkm
02-14-2003, 12:20 AM
Here's a few pics of the Tein Type Flex kit for the EP3. Very nice looking kit.

Benefits of the Type Flex:

-Adjustable stroke and spring preload (basically, you can lower the car *without* losing any shock travel. IMO, the EP3 absolutely needs this feature because the shock runs out of travel really quick using a ground control setup or something like that

-Camber plate included for the front.

-Rear upper hat included. So, you can yank the stock suspension and not need to mess with any spring compressors. you can leave it as is for easy swapping.

tkm
02-14-2003, 12:21 AM
Another pic showing the camber plate.

tkm
02-14-2003, 12:23 AM
Last pic showing me turning the shock body to adjust height. Note how this is threaded and how shock travel will not suffer. basically, I'm just making the shock shorter.

goldy02
02-14-2003, 12:34 AM
hey man nice choice,

way to spend lots of money like me.

haha

you'll enjoy them

tkm
02-14-2003, 12:41 AM
Goldy,

Was the Flex kit any lighter than the oem suspension? Since I'm not changing anything out until better weather (Midwest winter right now), I'm curious.

The flex kit isn't the lightest thing in the world, but all of the weight is mostly in the front strut. Struts are always heavy mofos.

goldy02
02-14-2003, 12:49 AM
you know i never thoaght to check th e weight diff. but i bet they are lighter, look at the springs on the front they are half the width of the massive stock springs so maybe the are lighter, your gonna love em i promise;)

Suk02Si
02-14-2003, 12:55 AM
The look very nice. I still dont understand how you can shorten the shock body and still have full shock travel. I thought the only way you wouldn't lose shock travel was if the strut itself had a shorter shaft giving you full travel, even after lowering the car 3".

tkm
02-14-2003, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by Suk02Si
The look very nice. I still dont understand how you can shorten the shock body and still have full shock travel. I thought the only way you wouldn't lose shock travel was if the strut itself had a shorter shaft giving you full travel, even after lowering the car 3".

In that last pic--see what i am turning? That's the mount. The mount is threaded onto the shock. So basically, I'm shortening the mount buy screwing it up on the shock further. The shock does not move--it is the mount that screws up or down and thus how you control the height of the car.

The other set of perches are for spring preload. This will keep the spring from rattling around when you lift your inside rear wheel on a turn or something.

Suk02Si
02-14-2003, 01:05 AM
oh okay, I just misunderstood you then:D I thought shortening the shock would also affect the internals too, but I see what your saying about only shortening the shock body leaving the internals intact.

thanks;)

ek9jdmhb
02-14-2003, 01:29 AM
how much were they and will it fit without modifications?

AkronSi
02-14-2003, 06:12 AM
Those look great. Let us know how you like them in the Spring after the weather clears :D

Will2K2
02-14-2003, 06:59 AM
-How Much?
-Where from?
-heavier / lighter than stock?

-other impressions?

W

tkm
02-14-2003, 08:20 AM
Contact James at Titanmotorsports.com. Best price I found anywhere.

I will resurrect this thread in the spring when I get everything installed and give feedback on them. I'll probably give weights, etc. at that time.

And yes, they will fit with no modifications at all. They say EP3 right on the tag, so they were made for the car, unlike the Tein SS.

fishboy
02-14-2003, 12:13 PM
fucking awesome!

Jpax
02-14-2003, 05:54 PM
Excuse me i must wipe pants off...ohhh jesus......

You BASTERED..... I love those's coilovers... are you going to get the EDFC? you better bisssh because that will pay off on the long drives.....:D

And if you can post some pics of install...:eek:

EP33
02-14-2003, 07:09 PM
I'll be stuck to the sheets for sure in the morning now. . . . . . thanks for that. . . :p

Does it say anywhere in your documentation not for use on the street? or something to that effect?

I saw that BULL on the Tein web-site printed in the instructions (.pdf) and I'm thinking. . . .WTF???

Very nice pics, makes me go hmmmmmmm. . . . . . I could go on a tap water diet for about four months:D

DjMacAtack
02-14-2003, 07:14 PM
i was at the tein site and was able to copy n paste the pdf just fine,

the site says the maximum drop is 1.3 inches in the front... not that much of a drop dont u think??

tkm
02-14-2003, 09:47 PM
Yes, they do say "not for street use" lol.

And, the front will drop more than 1.3" All I would need to do is put a shorter spring on them. But, that number may be from the EP3-R height, which sits lower than the usdm Si.

I'll let everyone know. If these don't work out, I'll try the BuddyClub Racing Spec dampers.

spoon3168
02-15-2003, 07:26 AM
i'm just worry too much of buying those coil-over, coz they have no dust boot, just worry me for everyday driving:(

goldy02
02-15-2003, 10:00 AM
tkm when you got yours did you get jap. instructions or english they gave me some jap. instructions that i didn't even know which side was up i couldn't read them at all.

ive got the flex coils on my car and the car is maybe 2 and 3/4" lower in the front and 2 and 1/2" in the back give or take the rear can still come down a notch or two or 10 i have alot more play in the rear the front is fine.

the only thing that got me was that tein said it is a straight drop in part. but please make sure that you torque the top nut down for which its not at all when you get the parts in, i almost made that mistake to put them in but we caught ourselves early.

i think the front is something like 37#'s and the rear is like 24#'s
not sure i'll ahve to check the website

CleanBlackSi02
02-17-2003, 08:18 AM
Very good choice. Let us know how they work out for ya.

tkm
02-17-2003, 08:51 AM
Pretty sure they do have a dust boot, so they'll be fine for daily driving. I will take them off for winter though.

Thanks for the heads up on the nut goldy. I'll check that before I install. I don't recall what my instructions are, but I think they are japanese. No big deal though--they aren't that difficult to install or measure.

golferjn
02-17-2003, 01:16 PM
nice setup. nice pics

HondaMan
02-17-2003, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by fishboy
fucking awesome!

Yeah, what fishboy said! :D

DownTheHatch
02-18-2003, 08:00 PM
Titan Motorsports is 5 min from me :) I'll have to check out their facility.

DjMacAtack
02-18-2003, 09:12 PM
i was so convinced, i bought myself a set... 1700 cash...

any1 wanna help me out in taking how to pics for the forum??

i dunno how to put em on but it be fun to try...:D

StrangeShadow
04-23-2003, 11:56 PM
awesome, the best out right now...without a doult

Makross
04-24-2003, 12:36 AM
yeah i wish i had that kinda money i had to settle with Tein Springs nice

spoon3168
04-24-2003, 06:10 AM
tkm i was wondering if the front and rear spring height and the id are the same...?? cause i might thinking of buying it, i want a stiffer spring rate for the rear.. i was think of moving rear spring to the front and buy a 14k for the rear

FACTION95Si
04-24-2003, 08:14 AM
Wow those are very nice. I wish I had the $$$ for a set.

tkm
04-24-2003, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by spoon3168
tkm i was wondering if the front and rear spring height and the id are the same...?? cause i might thinking of buying it, i want a stiffer spring rate for the rear.. i was think of moving rear spring to the front and buy a 14k for the rear

If you do that, I would seriously consider getting the shocks revalved. My experience with Tein is that they damper/spring match almost too well and any increase in springrate will overwhelm the dampers.

Also, I am thinking about selling my Teins to try out a different kind of coilover. I am not selling because I don't like them, but my sponser has a new set of coilovers that he wants me to try to see if he will import them in, so I don't have much use for the Teins.

Send me an email if anyone is interested. typer @ insight.rr.com

Serious offers please. They only have about 800 miles on them. I'd be willing to knock a few hundred off of what I paid for them (~$1600)

BlasTech
04-24-2003, 12:15 PM
It looks like the manuals for every single product on thier site (including SS, and Basic) says its for off-road use only... :confused:

2k2SiAutoXer
04-24-2003, 10:03 PM
hehe, off road use only, im picturing a ep lifted with big ol swampers for tires running through the dirt.

--Tom