PDA

View Full Version : Condensation Buildup in Blackhousing

Dunrick
02-14-2003, 10:07 PM
Hey guys, I did my blackhousing a while back...and the left light started to get some condensation buildup in it. I was really pissed off about that, so I rebaked my lights, relayed the silicone along the edges (this time really thick) and put everything back in place. Today I noticed that its back again...Words cant express, cause each time I have done it, it has turned into a whole day thing practically. The only thing I can think of is let the silicone resettle a little bit longer, I prettymuch only let it set for aboue 30 mins then put my lights back in the car. My plans when I redo this tommorow are to just heat up the lights, till the condensation is gone, then just lay a nice thin bead along the outside where the lens meets the back housing part, and smooth it out w/ my finger...then see if that works....If that doesn't I dont know what the hell to do. I doubt its happening from the back of the light, where that rubber seal goes over the main headlight in the back....Any suggestions on what could be doing this? Its driving me up the wall... Thanks:'(

02SilverSiHB
02-16-2003, 10:40 PM
well, if it were me, I would have baked it again, taken it apart and cleaned it out. Then put it back together as best you can, rebake, take it out and move the headlight assembly around till you think it's sitting right with the stock sealant. Keep holding onto it and squeazing it while it's still warm. Do that for about 5 minutes. That should get the seal back real good...then add some more sealant just in case.....do you get condesation when you wash the car? Or is it just appearing all of a sudden?

ta2dSi
02-16-2003, 11:55 PM
it could be that since you are in WA, your home where you baked the lenses a little humid, and now that it is cold the humidity in the lenses is condensing. I would suggest, unscrewing your lights on night, and let the lenses, air out. then screw the bulbs back in for a good seal.

I would not suggest this be done in the summer since the humidity is high usually, and when you go cold, the humidity is directly inversely proportional.

(I work in a climatic wind tunnel for 1 of the big 3)

02SilverSiHB
02-17-2003, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by ta2dSi
it could be that since you are in WA, your home where you baked the lenses a little humid, and now that it is cold the humidity in the lenses is condensing. I would suggest, unscrewing your lights on night, and let the lenses, air out. then screw the bulbs back in for a good seal.

I would not suggest this be done in the summer since the humidity is high usually, and when you go cold, the humidity is directly inversely proportional.

(I work in a climatic wind tunnel for 1 of the big 3)
much less work than what I mentioned :)