PDA

View Full Version : Oil filter wrench

Mechanic
07-27-2002, 01:40 PM
Has anyone found a QUALITY oil filter wrench to fit Honda OEM filter #15400-PLM-A01? (The screwdriver-through-the-filter method isn't one of my favorites.)

And, by the way, what's with the tiny filters? I've seen bigger filters on motorcycles. My hunch is that Honda made the filter smaller to clear the steering rack behind the engine. In any event, these tiny filters, when combined with the "recommended" 10k-mile oil-change intervals, are completely at odds with my idea of preventive engine maintenance.

SmoothOperator
07-27-2002, 01:51 PM
Mechanic, This thread may be of interest to you concerning the oil filter.... clickity click (http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=677)

Mechanic
07-27-2002, 03:23 PM
It was, SmoothOperator, thanks.

As soon as I felt the A01 filter (lying on my back under the car), I knew that it was smaller than the filter Honda sells as a replacement. I assume -- but I'm only guessing -- that this is Honda's way of ensuring that the original filter can collect all the junk that any new engine generates during the break-in period and go 5k-miles ("severe" service) or 10k (!) (for "normal" service). But, the filter is also much smaller in diameter than those on the other Hondas I've owned: the POH-305 is about 3 1/4"; the A01 is about 2 3/4".

My local friendly Honda store didn't have a filter wrench in the parts department. I walked back to the shop and spoke with one of the techs who showed me the wrench that he uses. It was a universal fit, meaning it really doesn't fit well, but it works well enough for him. It was a NAPA wrench.

So, I drove on to an Acura store. Same deal. The techs apparently are making do with what they have at hand.

Since I first posted here, I've gone hunting on line. Manchester Honda (in New England) list several wrenches, but they don't list one for the Si. I sent them e-mail, and I let you know what they tell me.

For what it's worth, I'm a big believer in using OEM stuff -- filters, parts, you name it. Experience is a great teacher. So, rather than "make do," I'll keep hunting around in Honda stores on line until someone comes through, or a fellow poster comes up with a better idea. (By the way, if you'd like to read about this on another board, check out Civic-Si.com under "What a pain to change my oil filter.")

JSIR
07-27-2002, 05:25 PM
I just ordered one from my local Acura dealer, not sure when it arrives yet, should be early next week hopefully. I've bought several filter cap wrenches recently and none fit right, they all slip a bit as they must be slightly oversized. I have one of those remove only style wrenches that crushes the filter a bit upon removal. To put the last filter on I put a couple layers of sandpaper around the filter before putting one of my oversized wrenches on it, it worked to get me out of a bind at the time , but I don't want to rely on that method all the time. Hopefully the acura wrench will work for me. Personally I like the smaller filters, the car seems to run a bit smoother with them compared the larger style filter that I tried for a short while. There is a difference in oil pressure between the two filters.

Mechanic
07-27-2002, 05:49 PM
JSIR, do me a favor and check in here when you get your filter wrench. The part # will be the same for the Acura and Honda, and neither dealer I checked with today had a part # in their microfische (sp?). Perhaps Manchester Honda will respond Monday when they open their e-mail, but if not, you'll be my best lead.

And, yes, I know exactly what you are describing about cap wrenches. Once the "sides" on the end of the filter begin to crush, you're screwed.

JSIR
07-27-2002, 06:10 PM
sure no problem I will let you know as soon as I hear from them, I should be talking to the parts guy on Monday. The filter wrenche I bought from autozone was 65mm cap , it seemed to be the right size but it slipped once you cranked on it. The filter is 64mm in width.

DrPimpSiR
07-27-2002, 09:09 PM
This is the exact type I have, it works on any filter.

http://buy.snapon.com/catalog/pro_det.asp?tool=all&item%5FID=16376&group%5FID=1534&group%5Fname=Oil+Filter+Wrenches&sub%5Fcat%5FID=1167416&sub%5Fcat%5Fname=Oil+Filter&cat%5FID=1167415&cat%5Fname=Lubrication&store=snapon%2Dstore&dir=catalog

Most Snap-on stuff is overpriced, but often their special tools are reasonable.

Mechanic
07-28-2002, 02:38 AM
Doctor, I hadn't checked the Snap-On webpage, because Snap-On is the Mugen of tools: great stuff and hideously expensive. In this case, however, I'd pony up the bucks but I've never been a fan of strap-type oil filter wrenches. I continue to hope that JSIR or Manchester Honda will come through for me.

I guess that I should add at this point that the only reason we're having this conversation is because a machine in Swindon, England, torqued the OEM filter on to a grillion pounds. This almost certainly occurred in my case because the Brits know that, for at least thirty years now -- before I bought my Si -- you couldn't have paid me to own another car manufactured in Britain. (All those stories about Lucus being the Prince of Darkness are true!) I've apologized here and elsewhere based on my ownership experience so far with the Si, but you muck around with the machinery gods, you gotta pay the price.

DrPimpSiR
07-28-2002, 06:33 AM
I got'cha on the Mugen comparison, you could also lump Mac tools in as well- $300 for a set of 8 Metric Combo wrenches, what were they smoking!

JSIR
07-28-2002, 07:45 AM
I hear ya, my factory oil filter was on tight as shit, it was hard as hell to remove. I had to go out and buy a special oil filter removal tool just to get it off, it was one of those three pronged ratcheting type of removal tools, but it could only be used for removal, not installation. The strap style tools I saw were too over-sized to grip the filter. If you can find a 64mm wrench cap that would work, but I have yet to find one at any retail store. Hopefully Acura has some good news for me this week and I will let you guys know. Otherwise a 65mm (easy to find) wrench and couple sheets of sandpaper will work if you are in a bind.

JSIR
07-29-2002, 09:00 AM
Mechanic, I am picking up the filter wrench today at Acura, so I'll post the part number this evening, if you don't see the message I'll e-mail you. I haven't picked it up yet, but sounds like they are giving me an ass-raping on it. I'm getting it either way though as I have spent too many hours looking for ones that don't fit.

JSIR
07-29-2002, 01:45 PM
okay here is the part number for the oil fitler wrench for the stock filters that come on the Si and RSX. # is 07HAA - PJ70101 , it is made in Japan. It is a fine piece of metal, very compact and well made and basically fits perfectly. Internal diamater is 64.2mm. It has a few nice features that will make it easy to work with in the tight confines of the engine bay. But you better be seated when you find out the cost. In US dollars it is probably in the range of $25.00.

I'm still glad I got it though as I have spent many hours of my time searching for one that fits, and spent money on several wrenches that don't fit. So its here and one less thing to worry about. A couple oil changes and I'll have my money back. Best part is that I'll be able to do the filter change from above the engine bay which will be very easy to do and with no stress - I hate working under the car if not necessary. hth.

Mechanic
07-29-2002, 04:49 PM
Thanks, JSIR, you're a bud.

As for changing the filter by reaching around the back of the engine, I was wondering if that would work. I know you can easily feel the entire filter, which is very different from any other Honda/Acura I've owned, but getting the replacement on "blind" may be tricky. I'd already decided that I was going to try it, just because crawling around on the ground under a car get old quickly, particularly when you can look forward to hot motor oil running down the block and then down your arm. Let me know if "top down" works.

JSIR
07-29-2002, 05:32 PM
oh it works as I have done it once already, pretty much the easiest filter change I have done on any Honda. I use the torque method with a small guage torque wrench so I don't have to worry about visual methods, just crank it on until the torque wrench clicks. These smaller filters use less tightening torque. I put an old towel over the valve cover in case it is too warm, i have my header heat shield off already in anticipation of my header that is due to arrive this week so I don't know if that makes a difference or not, but I think with the right oil cap wrench the filter change should be a snap either way.

Mechanic
07-29-2002, 05:41 PM
Cool