PDA

View Full Version : Tons O Suspension Questions

TrippZ
02-15-2003, 10:16 AM
:X I have alot of suspension Questions... here we go...

1) What is the difference between a rear strut bar, front strut bar, and tie bars?

2) With a spring drop how long will it take before the shocks blow?

3) Could I get a good replacement at like autozone? (shocks i mean)

4) What is EVERYTHING oyu need to do when you drop a car? like what are all the steps you need to do, like springs, shocks, camber kit, etc etc

5) alot of people are talking about getting sway bars for the type s, what is a sway bar? where do i put it? why is the type s a good bar?

AkronSi
02-15-2003, 12:08 PM
I'm no expert but here it goes:

1.) The strut tower bars connect the struts together at the tops. The tie bars go across the bottom. I think you can only get a rear tie bar. It helps to brace the frame. For the front you'd need a sub-frame X brace.

2.) Don't know about the shocks. I've nevered had a lowered car before. I think this has be discussed quite a bit this summer. You might want to do a search for springs and check out some of the older posts.

3.) Once again I don't know.

4.) Ditto

5.) The reason a lot of people talk about the type-s bar is becasue it is cheap and well made (OEM). And, it will help to tighten your car up so that it won't oversteer as much.

Maybe some of the suspension experts or autocrossers will respond to this.

SeatownEP02
02-15-2003, 12:54 PM
heres a how to for springs
http://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7153

gpt
02-15-2003, 01:47 PM
I'l anser 5 'cos I just put on e on my car :D

A rear sway bar is a bar that links the left and right suspension together, this causes the compression of the suspension due to cornering to be reduced by spreading the load to the unloaded wheel in a corner.

Basically when you turn left, your right suspension compresses, the sway bar takes some of that load and sends it back to the left wheel causing the left suspension to compress and therefore the car remains more level - it reduces roll.

Another name for a 'sway bar' is an 'anti-roll bar' because it reduces body roll.

Adding a bigger sway bar changes the balance of the car, a larger rear sway bar will induce more oversteer in the car and a larger front sway bar will induce more understeer. The goal is to achieve a balance so that the car is neutral in handling.

Most front wheel drive cars are designed to understeer rather than oversteer because understeer is easier to handle and therefore is safer for the average driver.

The bar from an RSX-S is larger than the stock si bar, and bolts in place, therefore it is an easy swap.

Remember bigger is not necessarily better (at least when it comes to sway bars :D ) the real goal is to achieve a balance between the front and rear sway bar so the car is neutral in handling.

Hope you understand all my ramblings!

JSIR
02-15-2003, 04:01 PM
its anyone's guess how long stock shocks last on any car. Once you go over 1.5 (approach 2 inches or more) inches in drop you lower the ultimate lifespan of any stock shock. My guess is that the stock shocks are generally good for about a year. They may not always blow but will start to become bouncy, they eventually will blow though. A decent drop of 1.5 inches or so, such as Eibach Pro-kits will preserve the stock shocks longer than larger drop springs, my guess is the stock shocks can handle such a drop for a very long time without problems.

Our stock shocks are very good quality, made by a company called Showa with lots of racing experience overseas. Highly unlikely you can get anything better from Autozone. If you venture into the higher end shocks you certainly can get better from Koni, Bilstein, Tein, even KYBs are pretty decent, not a whole lot available for our cars yet but they are coming on-stream slowly. It is my goal to preserve the stock shocks as long as possible, no need to replace quality parts. Im using the Eibach Pro-kits which work quite well with the stock shocks.

The RSX-S rear anti-roll bar (sway bar) swaps in very easily, using stock Honda/Acura parts, very affordable ($75US or less), stock reliability, fitment, and works quite well in reducing body roll & improving handling.

todaCspec
02-15-2003, 05:49 PM
Our stock shocks are very good quality, made by a company called Showa with lots of racing experience overseas. Highly unlikely you can get anything better from Autozone.

Showa makes shocks/coilovers for SpoonSports. Our rides do ride stiffer compared to older model civic's.

JSIR
02-15-2003, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by todaCspec
Our stock shocks are very good quality, made by a company called Showa with lots of racing experience overseas. Highly unlikely you can get anything better from Autozone.

Showa makes shocks/coilovers for SpoonSports. Our rides do ride stiffer compared to older model civic's.

I think they are involved in suspension parts with Mugen as well, definitely in good company with Spoon. When you think about our cars there is no reason they should handle as well as they do. The springs are fairly soft, the rear anti-roll bar is pretty small, our ride height is a joke, as are our tires. The main reason why our cars handle as well as they do is the stock shocks IMO, the new chasis helps as well.