PDA

View Full Version : Winter warfare in the Si

snubnose
02-16-2003, 05:16 AM
As many of you know, a little snow is falling along the east coast of the USA. How is the Si in the snow?

Is it a winter warrior or a winter wimp? I suspect that the Si was built with the brutal European winters in mind so it performs heroically in the snow.

r3p00c
02-16-2003, 05:58 AM
I think it's great. I was out in the worst snow we've had this year (Christmas Day) on some of the smallest backroads, and the car handled it all. Just take it easy and you should be able to get around pretty well.

I'm not diggin' all the cinders this year... I only have 8k miles and I'm already starting to notice a few chips here and there on the front bumper. :mad:

Prime Si
02-16-2003, 07:41 AM
I agree. this car handles great in the snow. It manages to still be fun to drive. I occaisionally would have to start in 2nd gear, but other than that i've had no problems whatsoever. The ep totally outperforms my old ek in the snow. and tho i know it has some enemies on this board, i think the abs helps alot in winter driving.
And hey, if you have alot of open space, give the old parking break a tug. that almost makes up for the fact that it's 10 degrees out.

SiR Medic
02-16-2003, 08:06 AM
Nova Scotia is getting OWN3D by snow this year.

I can't drive my SiR very fast, but I'm having a pantsload of fun doing bootlegger turns, 4-wheel drifts, and donuts on the slippery roads.

So far I only hit a snowbank once!
(very soft snow, no scrapes or damage):angel:

The ep doesn't have a whole lot of traction on the stock tires but it is very forgiving and easy to control in the white stuff.

cbecker333
02-16-2003, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by snubnose
As many of you know, a little snow is falling along the east coast of the USA. How is the Si in the snow?

Is it a winter warrior or a winter wimp? I suspect that the Si was built with the brutal European winters in mind so it performs heroically in the snow.

With the stock tires, she'll deal with snow pretty well. I find the snow to be a huge timesaver when I'm in an empty parking lot and need to turn 180 degrees quickly (ahem...handbrake :)). Make sure you warn your girlfriend first, though...she don't want to be sliding sideways without warning, trust me.

k20ASi
02-16-2003, 02:56 PM
she handals pretty good. go find yourself a parking lot and have some fun!
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid48/p897cb6848f91b453d97eaaefd0da14ac/fcbd1315.jpg

blueiedgod
02-16-2003, 03:14 PM
I have to agree, that the new Si is a great snow handler. I used to drive an all wheel drive CR-V, and she was sliding all over the place. even though it had all wheel drive, i would very often fined the tail trying to outrun the front. the way all wheel drive was set up, is that when the front slipped the power would be trabsferred to the rear. and the truck would handle like a rear wheel drive, untl the front found some traction, then it would handle like a front wheel drive, because the power would be transferred back to the front and none to the rear.
with the Si, you just have to be careful on the take off. as it is very easy to make the front slide. I find it is easier to get going in the 2nd gear when it is really slippery. the only draw back over CR-V is the ground clearence. I am used to 8 inches. I often find the Si's bottom scraping some of the deep snow.

TrippZ
02-16-2003, 03:22 PM
wouldnt it be smarter to get a drop on teh car before doing those kind of moves?

SBC31
02-16-2003, 03:32 PM
SiR is great in the snow, but it's rather ugly when it's full of salt. I can't wait until spring time to give my car a well deserved bath.

Mugen Power
02-16-2003, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by TrippZ
wouldnt it be smarter to get a drop on teh car before doing those kind of moves?

My Accord is so I do it in that... don't think I'd dare do it in the Si.;)

TEKBRAIN
02-16-2003, 10:33 PM
Drifting on snow and ice is fun.
But I have winter tires on my SiR. Bridgestone Blizzak.

SubliminalSi
02-16-2003, 10:45 PM
duuhhh..whats snow?..j/k, We get like one icey day all year

ortedd
02-17-2003, 05:41 AM
snow tires help A LOT. . . I have some on and i am ammazed at how much better they hook up then the stock "all season" tires

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
02-17-2003, 06:42 AM
it's ok in the snow, if you dont have 23 inches, like I just woke up to a couple hours ago...
i wouldnt even THINK about trying to dig out and go for a drive...
i won't be leaving the house till all this snow melts...
probably mid-July...
:(