PDA

View Full Version : miss-shifting

NMTSi
02-16-2003, 07:46 PM
Yesterday i did something a little bit stupid.

while accelarating on the freeway, going 80 mph, i shifted from 3rd (redlined) to 2nd. I didn't do this on purpose of course. I didn't stay in 2nd for long either (i didn't even quite fully engage), but immediately after this a loud clicking/knocking noise started that speeds up with the rpm.

i've already made an appointment with the nearest dealer, but that happens to be 84 miles away. what i'd sorta like to know is if i need to get the car towed there or not. (it still runs right now)

Dunrick
02-16-2003, 07:57 PM
Floated valve - ohhhhhhhhh boy

X 2KS2K
02-16-2003, 08:03 PM
Not to scare you, but you might want to delete this thread. I've heard of warranty claims being denied because of things people admitted to on message boards.

NMTSi
02-16-2003, 08:26 PM
that's all great, and i don't mind deleting the thread, but is it likely that i'll be able to drive the car 84 miles to the shop without adverse effects?

PS: can i delete the thread?

pocketrocket
02-16-2003, 08:50 PM
Not to be the bearer of bad news, but it's an OBDIII car, so they'll just pop a reader on that bad boy and they'll know exactly what happened. This thread ain't gonna mean a damn thing.

-PR

Dunrick
02-16-2003, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by NMTSi
that's all great, and i don't mind deleting the thread, but is it likely that i'll be able to drive the car 84 miles to the shop without adverse effects?

PS: can i delete the thread?

Tow the mother.....I think you f'd up a valve or something....It probably wont make it that far.....How long did you have it?

NMTSi
02-16-2003, 09:09 PM
the car's now got 10500 miles on it (about 6 months)

chunky
02-17-2003, 10:07 AM
i've misshifted badly a few times with no ill effects. =\

sean
02-17-2003, 10:29 PM
i dont know much about this OBDIII crap but if what you are saying is that they will find out that he caused the damage by using a computer to read the car's usage history i would figure he can reset the computer and it will forget what happened...right? hey guy disconnect your battery maybe that will keep them from finding out what you did...i dont know, try it, it may just be worth it. if they ask say that the battery died or some other bs

(not to be a ja kass, but if you "miss-shift" does that mean you missed the oppurtunity to shift at all?)

SlickShoes
02-18-2003, 02:00 AM
Umm... Like Dunrick said... floated valve.

Here's some pictures that will give you nightmares.
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42904

SlickShoes
02-18-2003, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by pocketrocket
Not to be the bearer of bad news, but it's an OBDIII car, so they'll just pop a reader on that bad boy and they'll know exactly what happened. This thread ain't gonna mean a damn thing.

-PR
I've heard this is exactly true. They also can tell how many times you've hit the rev limiter as well, so they'll know if the car has been abused in that fashion. Reseting the ECU doesn't clear this info either.

Suk02Si
02-18-2003, 02:14 AM
omg, that's pretty bad

Suk02Si
02-18-2003, 02:15 AM
:eek: :eek:

todaCspec
02-18-2003, 07:12 AM
keblewie! full race, that's what extended warrenty is for.

NMTSi
02-18-2003, 07:45 AM
it's definitely a floated valve. I was finally able to get a friend out to actually look at the car (there's only so much you can tell from a post), and I finally found out what floating a valve meant.

He says that the best case scenario is that i've bent a rocker arm, the worst is that i cracked a valve off into the cylinder. The only thing going for me now is that the car still runs, the car was driven about 10 miles to get home, and it still runs (+ loud knocking).

we could take off the head, and see what's going on pretty easy, but it's unknown if the local autoparts place will have new gaskets (this a very small town), and even if they did, we couldn't really fix anything, so it'd still have to be towed.

Wish i could get you all pictures, but pictures without the head off don't really do you much good. Maybe i could get a sound clip.

Suk02Si - thanks for posting the pics you did, they help quite i bit to know what i actually did to my car.

gpt
02-18-2003, 09:03 AM
NMTSi - you seem to be an ideal candidate for a head swap from a RSX-S. If you have to pay to get this fixed you might as well try to get a good used RSX-S head and put it on.

Sorry to hear about your car though!:'(

NMTSi
02-18-2003, 10:45 AM
i've been considering it already. but i don't think i'm quite ready to go down that road yet.

This is the only car i have, and i'm not making a lot of money (actually, i'm not making any money, school sucks that way). If the A2 head causes something else to break, that sure as hell won't be under warrentee.

I'm really perfectly happy to wait till someone else does it, and find out if his car is still running a year later before i try that (or until i start making enough $ to be able to afford it if something breaks).

HondaMan
02-18-2003, 10:53 AM
Ouch! I misshifted bad once like that and survived. Good luck with the repair.

95 GSR
02-18-2003, 10:59 AM
I've heard that disconnecting the battery resets the Computer and that the dealer wont be able to tell what happen. Our focus broke something in the tranny and we took it to the dealer and they didnt cover it because they said that the car has been abused. They were able to read how many times the car hit redline.
So make sure u dissconnect the battery before going to the dealer.

good luck,.

SlickShoes
02-18-2003, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by NMTSi
it's definitely a floated valve. I was finally able to get a friend out to actually look at the car (there's only so much you can tell from a post), and I finally found out what floating a valve meant.

He says that the best case scenario is that i've bent a rocker arm, the worst is that i cracked a valve off into the cylinder. The only thing going for me now is that the car still runs, the car was driven about 10 miles to get home, and it still runs (+ loud knocking).

If its not making a HORRIBLE clanking noise, the valve head probably did not break off. So yeah, its probably just a bent arm. You might want to go get a compression tester (~$25) and test it. That should tell you what cylinder it is, and should help tell you just how bad it is. If there's absolutely no compression in one cylinder, that's bad.

TravisEP3
02-18-2003, 06:47 PM
Heh, so I was reading up on this topic on ClubRSX and figured I would post a small video for your pleasure that I came across.

http://subzero.mine.nu/celica/RSX-S_misshift.mpeg

Enjoy! ;)

95 GSR
02-18-2003, 07:17 PM
:eek: damn that vid is jacked up. over 10,000rpm.... that sux.... im guessing he didnt have a rev limiter?

95 GSR
02-18-2003, 07:21 PM
i just looked at the video over and over again... and i think he didnt miss shift, He shifted into 2nd instead of 4th... that sux

SlickShoes
02-18-2003, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by 95 GSR
:eek: damn that vid is jacked up. over 10,000rpm.... that sux.... im guessing he didnt have a rev limiter?

A rev limiter, nor a fuel cutoff, or anything like that won't stop you from mechanically spinning the engine that fast.

TravisEP3
02-18-2003, 07:35 PM
I must be confused. He definitely dropped one too many gears though. I didnt hear much noise coming from the engine after whatever you want to call it happened. I definitely took delight in his misfortune. I found it funny.

Tekdemon
02-20-2003, 05:14 AM
Man I am NEVER letting my friends drive my car again...my idiot friend overrevved once, but I think it was in neutral, and fricking stalled my car 7 times and refused to get out of the drivers seat...next time I'm yanking the e-brake...friggin idiot.

Do all those stalls show up on the computer too? I'm gonna have to choke my friend to death if they show up as abuse.

chubbychu
03-05-2003, 11:31 PM
hitting the rev limiter a couple times wont hurt anything right? because i was trying to pass someone...and i was flooring not paying attentions and suddenly my car goes woh woh woh a couple times....this thread has startled me a little about that...what do you guys think?

and if this guy would have gotten the 7 year warranty...would honda still cover the damagE?

SlickShoes
03-05-2003, 11:44 PM
Hitting the rev limiter is no biggie at all really. Not sure if Honda uses a fuel or spark cut-off, but neither will damage the engine really, assuming you don't lay on the gas forever. Ifs its a fuel cut-off, you would have a tiny lean condition. If its spark, its just bad for emissions.

And no, even a 30 yr warranty's not going to make up for "driver error". Ultimately, it just comes down to whether or not the dealership feels like being nice about it and fixing it for you.

The danger for them is, that after they agree to do the work under warranty, they foot the bill. After the work is completed they submit everything to Honda to get reimbursed. If Honda denies the claim (due to driver error, abuse, etc.), the dealership has to eat the costs. Hence the reason many dealerships have grown to be pricks.

chubbychu
03-05-2003, 11:47 PM
i see...

than whats the point of getting extended warranty? im pretty sure most problems are driver caused.

hey thanks for answering so thoroughly!

chunky
03-05-2003, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by SlickShoes
Hitting the rev limiter is no biggie at all really. Not sure if Honda uses a fuel or spark cut-off, but neither will damage the engine really, assuming you don't lay on the gas forever. Ifs its a fuel cut-off, you would have a tiny lean condition. If its spark, its just bad for emissions.

And no, even a 30 yr warranty's not going to make up for "driver error". Ultimately, it just comes down to whether or not the dealership feels like being nice about it and fixing it for you.

The danger for them is, that after they agree to do the work under warranty, they foot the bill. After the work is completed they submit everything to Honda to get reimbursed. If Honda denies the claim (due to driver error, abuse, etc.), the dealership has to eat the costs. Hence the reason many dealerships have grown to be pricks.

almost all modern cars use a fuel cut.

if there is no spark, the fuel can still self ignite in a high compression motor.

the only damage that hitting the rev limit will cause is premature fouling of the sparkplugs.

downhil
03-06-2003, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by chunky

if there is no spark, the fuel can still self ignite in a high compression motor.

just like a kenworth.

NMTSi
03-06-2003, 11:19 AM
if it makes anyone here feel a bit more comfortable, the dealership DID cover the damage under warrantee (i didn't even buy the car at the dealership). weather this is because i followed people's advice on this thread and unplugged the battery for a good 8~10 hours and that cleared the record of what happened, or because i didn't spike the engine hard enough to cause what happened, i do not know.

i posted pictures of the damage. primarily a rocker arm was mangled, a big chunk was taken out of it. the valves and the cylinders and the pistons had no damage. but, the rocker inturn scored up the cam shaft on the exhaust side.

the pictures are posted on this thread
http://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9301

to be honest, i was sorta hoping this thread would die into obscurity, so if you have comments, make it on that thread
(it seems i can't lock it, don't suppose someone else will do me the favor?)