PDA

View Full Version : question about JDM lights and HID

dustinhurley
02-16-2003, 08:27 PM
OK, I have the non-HID JDM lights (lightly smoked). There is no shield covering the bulbs, like the USDM lights have. Also, they aim towards the left, shining directly into oncoming traffic. Considering the aim, and no shield, would an HID kit make the car way too bright to look at at night? Anyone have this same set-up? I already get flashed about 3 times every single night, using PIAA xtreme bulbs.

1fastminivan
02-17-2003, 12:27 AM
DONT DO IT!!!............what I would recommend but would be alot of work, is..................if you really want HID but want the JDM "smoked" housings.....just open them up.......open up your stock ones.......swap out the "reflector" part and do a simple H4 HID kit.....a good HID kit....with proper shielding. You will be blinding people dramatically with HID on JDM housings. Just swap out the "reflector" which will come right out when the housings are open. HID kit on JDM housings are asking for trouble. Just imagine straight HID high beam in your face.........only not yours.....but others..hehehhe.:D Do you understand on what I mean about taking out the "reflector" portion? The part that holds the bulb.

lewjay
02-17-2003, 12:52 AM
I think you already know the answer to this one.

Although I don't have the same setup, I do have a HID retrofit kit installed. Even with the stock shields, glare is VERY apparent.

Even if you try compensating by aiming your lights to the right, the jdm cut off flare will still go to the left.

1fastminivan
02-17-2003, 03:20 AM
lewjay,

what kit do you have? any pics? thanks in advance.;)

dustinhurley
02-17-2003, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by lewjay
I think you already know the answer to this one.

Although I don't have the same setup, I do have a HID retrofit kit installed. Even with the stock shields, glare is VERY apparent.

Even if you try compensating by aiming your lights to the right, the jdm cut off flare will still go to the left.

Does your HID kit have a glare shield over the top of the bulb? Like this (http://members.rogers.com/frank21/Extra/H4%20Bulb3.JPG) and this (http://members.rogers.com/frank21/Extra/H4%20Bulb4.JPG)

1fastminivan
02-17-2003, 01:24 PM
The HID bulb will have to have the glare shield on the bottom portion not the top. If you cover up the top you will get HID straight highbeam if you cover up the bottom then you SHOULD get less glare but some shields are made different. Caspers has some shields for the H4 setup that is actually quite nice and has more shielding then the ones in the pics. Only thing you have to do with the shielding on the casper ones are paint them flat black, non reflective paint. Here is the link: http://www.casperselectronics.com/cgi-local/store/commerce.cgi?product=SPECIALS

you have to scroll down the the shields for the H4. Those shields look more "shielding" then the ones in the pic. I can guarantee they will take away more glare then the others. just paint them flat black. ;)

lewjay
02-17-2003, 07:57 PM
I think I have to modify my statement about the glare. It's apparent to ME, but then it may not be to other drivers. I've had the kit for 3 nights now and have yet received a flash or dirty look.:)

I have the hi/low kit from www.suvlights.com. The bulb has shielding, but not as beefy as the shielding from casper.

Don't get me wrong, I'm impressed with the kit. I love the high beam.

Anyway, sere's some very poor quality pics.

lewjay
02-17-2003, 07:58 PM
The si's built-in bulb shield doesn't help much.

lewjay
02-17-2003, 08:06 PM
remember I'm very close so the glare isn't THIS bad

lewjay
02-17-2003, 08:07 PM
Again, I apologize for the poor quality

lewjay
02-17-2003, 08:12 PM
front. I'll try to take pics of the beam pattern later tonight.

thaipinoy1
02-17-2003, 09:52 PM
Lewjay...you got your highs working on the high/low kit? Seems like some people out here could only get one or the other to work. How much did you pay for the hid conversion kit you bought?

1fastminivan
02-17-2003, 10:01 PM
do you have any "on the wall" pics? for both low and high beam? Thanks bro.........suvlight kits are good.

Pradamuimui
02-17-2003, 10:11 PM
My personal opinion is that if you are really serious about getting H.I.D.'s on your EP well then you should buy the JDM Type R H.I.D. kit. Yes its pricey....but you will always have some glare with a headlight unit that is not made for H.I.D.'s.

lewjay
02-17-2003, 10:59 PM
Here's low

lewjay
02-17-2003, 11:00 PM
Another low

lewjay
02-17-2003, 11:01 PM
High

lewjay
02-17-2003, 11:02 PM
Another High

lewjay
02-17-2003, 11:02 PM
One more high

lewjay
02-17-2003, 11:13 PM
Remember, my camera SUCKS.

I parked my car about 23feet away from the wall. As you can see, the high beam definitely works. FYI, it didn't work out of the box though. Jen at suvlights.com had to modify the kit for the highbeam to function correctly. So if you guys do decide to order the kit, make sure to let him know you drive the new civic si.

1fastminivan
02-18-2003, 02:00 AM
Pradamuimui,

No you cannot go with JDM HID. It is pointless to purchase those Pricey HID housings. You have to understand that any JDM headlamp has the flare up to the left instead to the right like USDM. Like I had stated earlier......the best thing to do if you want the JDM smoked housings with HID is to just get the regular JDM halogen version housings and swap out the reflector part and put an HID kit like lewjay did.

lewjay,

thanks for the pics!! question........camera throws off the true color of HID in person. What color would you describe your HID after the "warm up" stage. Is this the 4100k kit? Im assuming it is. Again thanks for posting pics of your kit bro!! I really love the pics of the upclose housings with the bulb in it. ;)

lewjay
02-18-2003, 10:13 AM
I think the best lighting would come from a modified headlamps with E-code projectors.

2nd would be imported Civic E-code headlamps from one of the countries in europe that drives on the same side of the street as we do. Then swap in a HID retrofit kit.

Both are $$$$$.:(

I wish it was 4100K, but it's the 4800K kit. 4100K is not available with high beam. I would say the light comes out is white, with a bit of blue at the fringe. The blue is more apparent when you shine at objects that has white on it. (Stop signs, cars). The objects don't look blue or anything like that, they just look "fluorescent"

On my computer, the last high beam shot is very close. You can kinda make out the very light tinge of blue at the edge.

The bulb itself has a VERY light blue coating.

I would have returned the kit if the lighting was too blue.

thaipinoy1
02-22-2003, 08:00 PM
Lewjay...I actually went to see Jen from suvlights.com today. He put the same kit on my car so I could see what it looked like. Let me tell you...the pics you posted did the 4800k hi/low kit no justice coz the lights look absolutely SICK!!! Put my order in coz he only had one light of each color at the time. But mine will be on by tuesday.

lewjay
02-23-2003, 12:54 AM
I know I know, my camera sucks. Anyway, post pics when you get them. You'll definitely want to adjust your beams. I think I may have to adjust mine some more.

thaipinoy1
02-23-2003, 12:30 PM
Is the beam pattern hard to align? Too high or too low? Also...where did you mount your balasts??

lewjay
02-23-2003, 04:52 PM
Depends how big your hands are.

After installing them, the beams were too low. It took about an hour of trial and error to get a good compromise. I'm still not really happy with it, but I do realize there's no way to get a perfect beam pattern. You know, just because our headlamps were not made for HIDS so the optics are a bit off.

Maybe it's my imagination, but after a week of owning them, seems like my pattern is off again. Maybe the lights are drooping.. I don't know. I'll have to play around with them some more when I have time.

The ballasts are mounted temporarily with double sided tape until I figure out a better place for them. On the driver side it's on the flat surface next to the strut tower. On the passenger side it's on a flat surface next to the fender.

Anybody know where the type-r ballasts are mounted?

LordKoo
02-26-2003, 05:36 AM
Lewjay,

CTR's HID ballast is mounted under the headlight. Yup! A guy on ebay sent me a pic of JDM HID headlights.

BTW, is that kit you brought is it a plug and play kit?

Thanks!

thaipinoy1
02-27-2003, 12:44 AM
Lewjay, how are your lights drooping? I just put mine in tonight and they fit perfect....no room for moving so I dont know what to do if i have to adjust the beam pattern. I cant say my beam pattern is perfect..but its not horrible. Also, did you use the stock rubber cups to prevent water from getting to the bulb?

lewjay
02-27-2003, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by LordKoo
Lewjay,

CTR's HID ballast is mounted under the headlight. Yup! A guy on ebay sent me a pic of JDM HID headlights.

BTW, is that kit you brought is it a plug and play kit?

Thanks! Good info. I guess it's just like the RSX. I'll have to check it out when I install my foglights. The kit IS plug and play.

thaipinoy:

It's weird, my lights are dimmer now. Could be a few things.

1) There's some sort of build up or residue on the reflector right above the bulbs now. It looks like condensation, but i'm not so sure. I made sure the rubber boots are snug. I don't know what it is though, but it's definitely affecting my beam. I think I'm losing about 1/4 of my brightness due this "condensation" or "build up" disbursing the light. :'(

2) Could be my grounding points are faulty. I'll have to check it out this weekend... Sigh...

Go here for some tips if you want to adjust your beam:

http://www.autooptiks.com/aiming.html

There's probably plastic caps on the adjuster bolts. You can just pop those off with a flat head screwdriver.

Green arrow - controls up or down

Orange - side to side. (can be reached with a screwdriver).

thaipinoy1
02-28-2003, 12:50 AM
Heres mine Lewjay....single light

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid53/pd88eb094c44504cadea7120fbfdf9c4b/fc92c9cd.jpg.orig.jpg

thaipinoy1
02-28-2003, 12:51 AM
beam pattern.....

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid53/p4ab8375ad7289fa4096962c4748d51e6/fc92c9cf.jpg.orig.jpg

thaipinoy1
02-28-2003, 12:53 AM
front pic...http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid53/pbaac1743a972dfd038a4188451f6ff58/fc92c9d1.jpg.orig.jpg

thaipinoy1
02-28-2003, 12:55 AM
I bought another pair of headlights to do the jdm look. Im hoping that after I paint them it will reduce the glare a little more.

lewjay
02-28-2003, 11:11 PM
Nice pics. Can you take a pic of your beam pattern from further back? I also have a spare pair of headlamps, BUT no working oven. So I can't really do mine unless I use a heatgun.:(