PDA

View Full Version : My first dyno run

Suk02Si
02-17-2003, 03:04 AM
Monday morning I will be going for my first dyno run. I'm gonna get one quick pull for a baseline with cai and midpipe. I'll install my heatshield gasket on wednesday and go for another run on thursday to see if it made a difference. The shop owner was curious to see if the gasket would do anything so he's giving me a pretty good deal if I do a before and after.

Suk02Si
02-17-2003, 09:25 PM
So I went for a quick run this morning.

144hp/128tq

Torque seems a little on the low side? At exactly 5000rpm the torque dropped rapidly. I don't have a print out yet, their printer was falling apart. I will have it on thursday though.

anjapower
02-18-2003, 10:53 AM
How many miles on your car when you got it dynoed? I'm getting mine dynoed in 2 weeks, but I'll probably only have 2,000 miles on it...I am afraid I'll get low numbers:(

Suk02Si
02-18-2003, 12:06 PM
I have 6500mi on the car and used 91 octane.

02SilverSiHB
02-18-2003, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Suk02Si

144hp/128tq

Torque seems a little on the low side? At exactly 5000rpm the torque dropped rapidly. I don't have a print out yet, their printer was falling apart. I will have it on thursday though.
That's not too bad, but I got you beat with my cheap sri and hp header 146whp :p horse power wise that is.
Wait a little longer till you at least pass 10k, I sware to freakin God, but car came to life at about that mileage. My torque was way lower though....122...probably this cheap ass sri. I see a comptech in the future for me. Also, get a header man...I never experienced a 4 banger react to a header like mine did. if you care about torque, I guess stay with the dc header...I'm more into the highend, so the hp works for me.
Later, good luck.

02blksi
02-18-2003, 06:56 PM
not to shabby ... -Joe :)

Suk02Si
02-18-2003, 08:08 PM
I'm selling my DC header. After the first one fell apart on me I decided not to install the new one. I think I'll hold out for the Borla, I love the fact that it gets rid of the down pipe;)

02SilverSiHB
02-19-2003, 03:59 PM
I'm selling my DC header. After the first one fell apart on me I decided not to install the new one. I think I'll hold out for the Borla, I love the fact that it gets rid of the down pipe;)
does this replace the cat as well? Or is going to have to be welded on to the cat...since our downpipe is welded to the cat

david borla
02-19-2003, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB

does this replace the cat as well? Or is going to have to be welded on to the cat...since our downpipe is welded to the cat

This is a bolt on header. You cut the downpipe about 2.5" in front of the cat, then the Borla lower section slides over the cat inlet which provides attachment for the header to the cat (this is where it will be clampled), also retaining the factory style ball joint.

In order to be street legal, you will have to weld instead of using the clamp. So we strongly recommend that you weld it.

I need to be very clear that if you clamp it, it is not street legal.

myeverlovinsir
02-19-2003, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by david borla

You cut the downpipe about 2.5" in front of the cat.

I wanted you to clarify this before and you said NO modification to the downpipe was required...but NOW you say there is modification requried to the downpipe. :confused:

I hope you provide instructions for this mod. I know some will not want to make these changes. I really don't care about doing this myself, but think clarification is required if anyone picks one of these up. Pictures speak 1000 words David.;)

david borla
02-19-2003, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by myeverlovinsir

I wanted you to clarify this before and you said NO modification to the downpipe was required...but NOW you say there is modification requried to the downpipe. :confused:

I hope you provide instructions for this mod. I know some will not want to make these changes. I really don't care about doing this myself, but think clarification is required if anyone picks one of these up. Pictures speak 1000 words David.;)

My apologies for the confusion. Our idea was to replace the OE downpipe and give more length to the header. Since the factory downpipe is welded to the cat, you will need to cut it off to remove it. In our case, we left 2.5" of the downpipe so the header can be slid over and clamped. I'll post pics once I get one off the line.

We look at it as replacing the downpipe.

Hope this clears things up.

myeverlovinsir
02-19-2003, 06:01 PM

My apologies for the confusion. Our idea was to replace the OE downpipe and give more length to the header. Since the factory downpipe is welded to the cat, you will need to cut it off to remove it. In our case, we left 2.5" of the downpipe so the header can be slid over and clamped. I'll post pics once I get one off the line.

We look at it as replacing the downpipe.

Hope this clears things up.

Fair enough, I look forward to the pics.:)

david borla
02-19-2003, 06:09 PM

Fair enough, I look forward to the pics.:)

I don't have an Si here at the moment so I can only post pics of the header by itself. I won't be able to show you what it looks like on the vehicle. Will that suffice?

myeverlovinsir
02-19-2003, 06:10 PM

I don't have an Si here at the moment so I can only post pics of the header by itself. I won't be able to show you what it looks like on the vehicle. Will that suffice?

I think I speak for all of us, any pics of your header design is welcome. Please post any if you have them. tks:D

david borla
02-19-2003, 06:13 PM

I think I speak for all of us, any pics of your header design is welcome. Please post any if you have them. tks:D

You got it!! As soon as I have one, I'll take a pic and post it for you. Thanks for the interest.

Suk02Si
02-20-2003, 05:13 PM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid52/pb5e6f1991008e198acbd3acd94cd65f0/fc9bdf60.jpg

Torque actually dropped at 5800 rpm, not at 5000 like I thought it did:D

So I went this morning with my Honda gasket installed and was surprised to see the gains. The first graph shows my baseline with CAI and midpipe. The second graph is CAI, midpipe, and Hondata gasket. Gains across the entire powerband, I'm happy.

We also tried disconnecting the stock muffler to see if any gains could be found. The car actually lost 1-2hp and 1-2lbs all the way across the powerband.

Suk02Si
02-20-2003, 05:15 PM
damn imagestation and their resizing:mad:

heh, here it is.

myeverlovinsir
02-20-2003, 05:32 PM
Looks like you have the trademark resonating hump at ~4800rpms. I love that feeling and sound when it kicks in.
You also found out that there are not many gains along the exhaust when removing the muff. Same results we found a while back. I am quite surprised by the diff. from with and without the heatshield. I know it works well but that is really good. It must have took you the better part of an hour or more to get that thing fitted with the heatshield between runs. I know from experience that the dyno loves the cold K20 engine. Congrats on the install and thanks for posting the results.;)

IceD out N CALI
02-20-2003, 06:14 PM

144hp/128tq

nice horsepower number for an ep:)

02SilverSiHB
02-20-2003, 06:15 PM
Damn! that's awsome how it gains that much from just a better gasket! I'm definitely getting one :)

Quicksilver
02-20-2003, 06:53 PM
I see another "shortage" of Hondata gaskets in the near future. I better run down to the local dealer tomorrow morning to get mine.

Those are some great numbers. I suspected that it was good for more than a fraction of a horsepower, but WOW! Thanks for doing the before and after testing for us. Good stuff!

FailureToStop
02-22-2003, 08:18 AM
Hey Suk, what shop did you go to and how much did it cost?

Suk02Si
02-23-2003, 11:30 PM
Trackmasters in Santa Clarita. I work right next door to them:D I paid 60 for the before and after and a couple experiment runs. Normally it's $100/hr though

BlackNRedSi
03-20-2003, 12:05 PM
Hey guys,

go to borla.com....the headers and exhaust are out...

eric