PDA

View Full Version : manual transmission fluid and valve adjustment?

sonic imperial
02-17-2003, 08:19 AM
I'm taking my car in for the 10,000 mile maintenance next weekend. Is there any harm in getting the mtf changed and the valves adjusted with only 10,000 miles on the car? I'm hoping the mtf can smooth out the shifting some and the valves seem to be chattering during acceleration in 3rd, 4th and 5th.

DocofMind
02-17-2003, 05:32 PM
Def get your tranny fluid changed. Stick with the honda MTF stuff. Guys on the s2k board have shown that the OEM stuff is the best there is.

In regards to your valvetrain, well, hondas are notorious for valve noise but iof you think your is excessive, just take it to the dealer. Your still under warranty :)

soniccar
02-17-2003, 07:34 PM
definetly tell them that there was a problem with the noise. Telling them to just adjust it will cost money instead of hitting up the warranty. Maybe get them to change tranny fluid for free if you push it. Tell them the shifter is stiff so you checked the fluid level like the owner's manual said and when you put your hand in it is stunk. Ask them if it was supposed to stink. See if they don't charge it to warranty.

I'm driving around in some crap Toyota Corrolla reject because when I finally convinced the dealer that my fuel gauge was screwed up and they replaced the sender, they still got an error on the scan tool so they have to trace the short. Hence the rental.

Let me tell you that I am going to fill out this survey and end it by saying that I had to drive around in a Toyota Junk just because I has to convince my dealer I had a fuel gauge problem. I had this trouble when I was young, and now that I am near 30, I still have this problem with some dealers. Screw them all you can but if you can take your time and some maintenance yourself, properly, you'll be better off knowing it is done right. They will laugh at you and tell you that the fluid is too new to be replaced. But the more often you change your fluid (every year is good) the better off you'll be, especially in automatic. Brake fluid the same way. Get your labor charge worth. Especially if your brakes feel a little softer than new.

soniccar
02-17-2003, 07:37 PM
sorry you had to endure the bad grammartization. I swear that Toyota is making me dumber. POS

sonic imperial
02-18-2003, 06:46 AM
Hey thanks for the input. I definitely want to change the fluid. The shifter has been pretty stiff and I still grind 2nd occassionally. No tellin what kind of metal shavings you might find. I just didn't know if the fluid present from the factory was a special break-in fluid that needed to be in there for 30k miles or something. The valve noise isn't too bad and it much less noticeable when I use 93 octane gas. I don't know why that is but the higher the octane the less noise I get.

soniccar
02-18-2003, 08:19 PM
No special "break-in" fluid in the transmission, just Honda MTF. Shifter feel is also helped by white lithium grease at places where the cable enters the jacket on the shifter and the release arm at the transmission. Cold weather affects shift quality. Also make sure that if you have been tinkering around, that the shifter cable is routed in the correct position and that it has nothing pressing against it like a rerouted vaccum hose or amplifier wiring.

sonic imperial
02-19-2003, 07:32 AM
Well, the only time I've opened the hood is to add oil now and then and I've never even climbed underneath; so I should be good to go. I'll tell the dealer to change the mtf just in case it needs to be cleaned out now that it's been driven for a while. Can they grease up those places you were talking about?