PDA

View Full Version : Will a road bike fit in the back of the Si?

snubnose
02-18-2003, 06:30 AM
One of the reasons I bought the Ep was that I loved the amount of room there was in the back when I folded the rear seats down.

For once, I could take my road bike to different locations in a car without taking off the front wheel and jamming the frame in the back seat.

However, because I have not purchased a protective covering for the back, I have not tried to fit my road bike in the back yet.

I don't want to get grease or scratches in the back of my new Si.

Has anyone here tried to fit a road bike in their Si? How does it work?

BlasTech
02-18-2003, 08:11 AM
If you have speedclips on the front wheel it will. I fit 2 mountain bikes in the hatch of my EJ-dx no problem.

S800Racer
02-18-2003, 11:20 AM
My road bike fits in the back without removing wheels. It is a pretty small frame (51cm). I have to move the passenger seat forward a bit and it fits easy. I put it in rear wheel first & chain side up to minimize grease/dirt on the car.
Having all that room in the back is one of the big reasons I bought the EP.

snubnose
02-18-2003, 01:36 PM
thanks, s800 racer. Do you put anything down to protect the car?

BSEVEER
02-18-2003, 02:46 PM
I put my mountain bike in mine a couple of days ago and it fit fine, but I took both wheels off. I haven't tried to put the downhill bike in there yet. I'm sure you wont have a problem putting a fag road bike in there J/K ha ha, any pedaling is good pedaling!

S800Racer
02-18-2003, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by snubnose
thanks, s800 racer. Do you put anything down to protect the car?
I usually throw a towel or blanket in.

foilpan
02-18-2003, 07:08 PM
it should fit with no trouble, unless you're a giant and have some huge frame. my 56cm fits fine with the front wheel off. just wipe down your bike or throw a blanket over the seatbacks before loading it.

r3p00c
02-18-2003, 07:26 PM
my haro fits fine back there, with the seats down, but its probably a bit smaller than your mountain bike. I don't line it with anything either, because its pretty rare that i get any sort of dirt on my bike... i'm pretty anal about that. :)

ortedd
02-19-2003, 05:42 AM
i fit a large frame mountain bike in my hatch. . . i just took the front wheel off and put it on a tarp.

mr_tim
02-19-2003, 06:11 AM
i stick my mountain bike in a bike bag in the car so i don't get all the crap falling off in your boot. i take the front wheel out too.

SiR Medic
02-19-2003, 08:47 AM
This thread just kept me from asking the same question in a couple of months!

:)

snubnose
02-19-2003, 11:42 AM
I hoped I wouldn't even have to take the front wheel off my 58 frame. Just put the bike in and drive to the nearest rural area where there's nothing but country roads and no cars.

Pick the bike up, put it in. Take it out, all in one clean step.

MPBSi
02-19-2003, 11:47 AM
this is why I have a roof rack on my car, no dirt or grease to worry about inside the car :) the black car with 2 yellow trays on top looks pretty cool too, IMO. of course road bikes inside wouldn't be bad, but the thought of throwing a muddy mountain bike in the back of my new car isn't very pleasant!

AkronSi
02-19-2003, 12:18 PM
What kind of rack to do you have MPBSi? I was checking out Yakima and it would cost close to $500 for a rack that can carry 2 bikes.

MPBSi
02-19-2003, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by AkronSi
What kind of rack to do you have MPBSi? I was checking out Yakima and it would cost close to $500 for a rack that can carry 2 bikes.

I have the yakima rack, with rocky mounts bike tray/carriers. I already had one tray from another car, but the towers, crossbars, clips, locks for the rack, and the one tray (with locking skewer) totalled $290 before tax for me. The rocky mounts bike racks are about half the price of the yakima ones, and I like them better because they come in ten or so different colors and work great... check out www.rockymounts.com. I bought my whole set-up there, cuz its a local company and they installed it for free, but they do online stuff too I think. I didn't get the extension thing from yakima that you need if you ever want to attach bigger loads, like those big aero-box things. That adds another $100, but I guess you need it if you ever want to carry more than just bikes or skis...

AkronSi
02-19-2003, 02:14 PM
Thanks MPBSi.

How do the back towers mount without the extension? Do they reach all the way down to the back window? Or, do both towers fit on the front door (just really close together)?

Thanks again.

MPBSi
02-19-2003, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by AkronSi
Thanks MPBSi.

How do the back towers mount without the extension? Do they reach all the way down to the back window? Or, do both towers fit on the front door (just really close together)?

Thanks again.

Both towers are above the front door. I was disappointed when I found out that's the way it had to be, since I was assuming that being a hatch, I could put a rack on like I had on an old subaru wagon I had. Was not to be... seems to work fine though (just had it put on saturday)!

ortedd
02-19-2003, 06:06 PM
post some pics. . . .

MPBSi
02-23-2003, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by ortedd
post some pics. . . .

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid52/p6a282246ec35eab7e03c176b52a83050/fc9888d2.jpg

Here's a quick shot of the racks on my new Si (now at 986 miles!). The Audi in the foreground has been demoted to being my snow car now :)

If anyone wants close-ups or more detailed shots, just let me know...

ortedd
02-23-2003, 04:23 PM
cool thanks for posting the pictures.

natesi
02-23-2003, 05:35 PM
ooooohh, babby... nice rack!!!!

MPBSi
02-23-2003, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by natesi
ooooohh, babby... nice rack!!!!

hands off, they're all mine!! :cool:

simann
02-23-2003, 08:49 PM
Hey Snubnose,
I work for Nashville Bicycle Company, we have Four locatios.
My managers have me haul bikes everywhere, So I have many expieriences with fitting them into my Si. I can fit 4 (Four) road bikes into my hatch (depending on the size of the Road Bike).
To save space , I usually take off all front wheels, but if I dont do that I have to scoot the forward seat up! :)

3rdhatch
02-24-2003, 07:26 AM
Hey, I work at a bike shop and am about to quit. I am running a little "make a little extra" special right now. Let me know what you need and I can get the stuff for cost; which by the way is exactly half. I might not be able to get everything but I will try, just let me know soon. I am about to hand in my 2 weeks.

BSEVEER
02-24-2003, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by 3rdhatch
Hey, I work at a bike shop and am about to quit. I am running a little "make a little extra" special right now. Let me know what you need and I can get the stuff for cost; which by the way is exactly half. I might not be able to get everything but I will try, just let me know soon. I am about to hand in my 2 weeks.

How much for a Shiver?

ep3_hatch
02-24-2003, 01:52 PM
I will say that a hitch rack should be considered. For my 98 Civic, I had bolt on hitch from www.hiddenhitch.com (now available for the EP!) and the Hollywood Team Rider (www.hollywoodracks.com best rack ever (the one on the home page)!). It has two trays and a 3 point mounting mechanism that straps on to the wheels and a clamp for the seat post so you can carry just about any frame with a seatpost (especially for the full suspension crowd). Best part is that you can pop it off really quick when you're not carrying bikes and stow the rack in the garage and it doesn't doesn't touch your paint! But some guys don't mind the noise and decreased gas economy of a roof rack and like the looks of it, go for it! I used to like Yakima and Thule racks if I wanted a roof carrier again. And if you have a garage and do have a roof carrier, you more than likely will pull into the garage with the bikes on and wreck your roof, the rides, and your house eventually if you do it enough and long enough! Seen it plenty of times. I sold the hitch with the Civic and will get the new hitch for the EP as soon as it warms up.

MPBSi
02-24-2003, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by ep3_hatch
I will say that a hitch rack should be considered. For my 98 Civic, I had bolt on hitch from www.hiddenhitch.com (now available for the EP!) and the Hollywood Team Rider (www.hollywoodracks.com best rack ever!). It has two trays and a 3 point mounting mechanism that straps on to the wheels and a clamp for the seat post so you can carry just about any frame with a seatpost (especially for the full suspension crowd). Best part is that you can pop it off really quick when you're not carrying bikes and stow the rack in the garage and it doesn't doesn't touch your paint! But some guys don't mind the noise and decreased gas economy of a roof rack and like the looks of it, go for it! I used to like Yakima and Thule racks if I wanted a roof carrier again. And if you have a garage and do have a roof carrier, you more than likely will pull into the garage with the bikes on and wreck your roof, the rides, and your house eventually if you do it enough and long enough! Seen it plenty of times. I sold the hitch with the Civic and will get the new hitch for the EP as soon as it warms up.

Yeah, if I'm going on a road trip or anything without the bikes, the rack will come off (it isn't too hard to take on and off once it's set-up). I used to think it wouldn't make much difference in terms of aerodynamics, but on my first car (a '86 scooby gl wagon), the top speed with the rack (no bikes, just the rack): 80mph at sea level on the flats. WIthout the rack: 91mph! That's a pretty huge difference...

The only thing I don't like about hitch racks is that the bikes get pretty dirty if you're driving on dirty roads ;)

AkronSi
02-25-2003, 10:10 AM
Remind me, how many more weeks are there until spring? :D