PDA

View Full Version : Took her in for some work under warranty

chunky
02-18-2003, 08:28 AM
The valves are clickier than normal, and I want a free valve job. Also the EPS light came on and stayed on recently, it's since gone away. And a total of 4 times in the 30,000 miles I have on the car the engine has just died when going from 0 throttle to full throttle in 1st or 2nd gear. It feels like the engine is bogging, but then bam, it just dies.

So she's getting looked at. Also hopefully they'll replace the chrome trim around the ebrake handle button, or replace the whole handle. That's the only cosmetic damage thus far.

So i'm stuck in this lancer. We all know what that means. :D

So far this morning i've drifted it, topped it out, locked up the brakes numerous times.

What a POS. I guess it's the way to go if your budget limits you to under 15k, but it's such a step down from the si.

Suk02Si
02-18-2003, 11:58 AM
why would the car just die going from zer to full throttle? Can it be because the motor is too rich, when you floor from a dead stop it might dump too much fuel into the chamber and kill the motor.

or maybe I'm just talking out of my ass because this is how r/c car's work:D

todaCspec
02-18-2003, 12:51 PM
defintely keep us posted.

HondaMan
02-18-2003, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by todaCspec
defintely keep us posted.

I 2nd that!

BTW, you going to the VTECAtlanta meet Thursday night, Chunky?

chunky
02-18-2003, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by HondaMan

I 2nd that!

BTW, you going to the VTECAtlanta meet Thursday night, Chunky?

I'll be there most likely. I'm usually a little late getting there b/c of work - about 8:30-9 is when I show usually.

I picked up the car around 1:30. The EPS light was a fluke so they say. They checked out the system, and no codes were stored. If something really was wrong with the EPS system, they said the light would come on and stay on, even after the car was turned off, and turned back on.

They wouldn't do the valve job, saying something like the k series motors have hydraulic lifters that auto adjust? sounds like a crock to me.

They did however agree to replace my e-brake handle. The chipped chrome was getting to me. :D It's a special order part, so i'll have to drop off the car again when it gets in.

They had nothing to say about why the engine would just die. Said it might be a fuel issue (doubtful, I only put amoco ultimate into it).

I asked them to check the ignition system, but they said if the ignition system was acting up, it would throw a code, which it did not.

Soo, guess i'll have to keep searching for a reason why the car just shuts off. . .

suk02si, it's unlikely that the engine is getting flooded due to the sudden change from 0 to full throttle. Most fuel injection cars won't dump in that much fuel due to WOT. That's a problem associated mostly with carbuerated motors. I guess it is possible, but it's more likely that there is weak spark and the mixture does not ignite. Weak spark would mean bad plug or dying coil pack. I asked them to check it out, but they insisted that if it were misfiring, the ECU would throw a code. Oh well. It doesn't happen often enough to really cause me concern - but they said that if it starts causing real problems they'll fix it even if it starts acting up after warranty, within reason of course.

HondaMan
02-18-2003, 02:15 PM
You got to love Honda service departments...geez! :rolleyes:

I'll try to make the meet Thursday night...where is it again? Gwinnett Place Fudruckers? Catch me on AIM and remind if you can. Thanks! :)

Cya later,
JP

blueiedgod
02-18-2003, 02:59 PM
well, i am under 1500 miles and my center dash vent is no lobger moving left to right. one of the louveurs is jammed, i loosened it with a pen, but will have honds look at it when i go for 5000 mile service.
warranty realted question. when i play afroman at half the volume (50% of the bars lights up) the speakers fart. will honda replace them under warranty.
I do have a set of kenwoods, but if they put shitty speakers in my car i want the new ones before i put kenwoods that i paid for.

gpt
02-18-2003, 03:14 PM
All the stock speakers are shitty..... if you want a good laugh, take them out and look at the magnets on the back heheh :D

I would say don't waste your time getting them to swap them out just put your new speakers in youself and enjoy your music!

chunky
02-18-2003, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by blueiedgod
well, i am under 1500 miles and my center dash vent is no lobger moving left to right. one of the louveurs is jammed, i loosened it with a pen, but will have honds look at it when i go for 5000 mile service.
warranty realted question. when i play afroman at half the volume (50% of the bars lights up) the speakers fart. will honda replace them under warranty.
I do have a set of kenwoods, but if they put shitty speakers in my car i want the new ones before i put kenwoods that i paid for.

turn your bass & treble both to zero. the gains add ungodly amounts of distortion.

If they still sound like ass, you might need to have the rear speaker mounting screws tightened up. That seemed to be a common problem for a lot of guys. Also, there's supposed to be a foam backing on those speakers to help damp vibrations.

grooveline
02-18-2003, 04:19 PM
WTF????

whats the scoop on the valve clearance adjusting? are they self adjusting or what? whats the skeelo?

NemesisITR
02-18-2003, 10:54 PM
maybe your fuel filter is getting clogged. I replaced my ITR's filter at 30000 miles and the car seemed to perform better. And this was before I did a valve adjustment.

Brettnyt
02-18-2003, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by Suk02Si
or maybe I'm just talking out of my ass because this is how r/c car's work:D

LOL, right when I read all this, I thought the exact same thing! What kinda car you got?

chunky
02-19-2003, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by NemesisITR
maybe your fuel filter is getting clogged. I replaced my ITR's filter at 30000 miles and the car seemed to perform better. And this was before I did a valve adjustment.

it's possible. At 30,000 miles i'll be doing my usual tune up which includes replacing the fuel filter.

Suk02Si
02-19-2003, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Brettnyt
LOL, right when I read all this, I thought the exact same thing! What kinda car you got?

Too many to list;) But I work in a hobby shop so I have to deal with that sort of thing all the time.:D