PDA

View Full Version : Is the moonroof waterproof?

snubnose
02-18-2003, 09:11 AM
With all the snow resting on my Ep's roof right now, I wonder if the extra weight and moisture will damage the seals around the moonroof.

I really just want the snow to melt off by itself, because there is no good way to scrape the snow off without potentially damaging the paint.

On the other hand, I don't want the snow to melt inside the Si, and get everything wet.

Do you think the Ep moonroof is built to withstand a great deal of moisture?

chunky
02-18-2003, 09:25 AM
it'll probably be fine, but I like to brush the snow off anyhow, just so it's not as thick.

the thicker the snow gets, the more likely it is that ice will form under it - ice = bad. When it starts to melt, it melts from the bottom up, so there is a layer of water, and the whole snow/ice blob slides down the hood & roof of your car grinding whatever dirt was on the surface as it goes.

so go brush it off fool.

foilpan
02-18-2003, 07:14 PM
i use the "swipe all the snow off with my arm" technique. no ice on my roof!

plus, it's dangerous to drive around with a big snow patty on your roof. it could break up and fly into someone's view behind you, potentially causing an accident (especially if there's any ice involved).

elroygun
02-18-2003, 10:47 PM
Move to AZ, CA, or better yet Vegas Baby, Vegas.:cool:

SiR Medic
02-19-2003, 10:09 AM
Does a frog have a waterproof ear?

Mine has gone though several feet of snow, monsoon-like rain, and -20degree Celsius weather...

Without nary a dewdrop leaking in.:)

jaydub
02-19-2003, 10:10 AM
Most cars with sunroofs have drain tubes which release any moisture which might seep between the seal of the glass and the body. You don't have anything to worry about.

snubnose
02-19-2003, 11:37 AM
thanks for the good news. I pushed all the snow off the roof. Dry as a bone inside and no snow scratches on the roof.

blueiedgod
02-19-2003, 01:27 PM
as you were mentioning removing snow off the roof. i did that on monday and noticed that somewhere half way between the rear lip of the sunroof and the antenna the sheet metal on the roof can be easily pushed in. The rest of the roof sounds very solid when patted, but there is a point where it dives in and then bounces back out. i am not paranoid, but just wondering what would happen if i left the snow on the roof for longer and let it get heavier. would it permanently dent the portion of the roof?

LordKoo
02-19-2003, 03:04 PM
NO! Moonroof is not waterproof but there are two tubes under the roof that channel water out in case it leaks!