PDA

View Full Version : a few supercharger questions

dustinhurley
02-18-2003, 08:53 PM
I'm planning on boosting my EP with a Jackson Racing Supercharger in the future. I will probably not upgrade the pulley to a higher psi because the car is a daily driver and will be for a very long time. I don't want to put too much stress on the internals. I have a few questions about what I should do to prepare for the supercharger. I know I will need a high-flow fuel pump. Would other products like AEM high-flow fuel rail, fuel pressure regulator, and fuel filter make a worthy difference? Should I upgrade the spark plugs and wires, or any other ignition components? Basically, my goal is to run 5 or 6 psi as safely and effectively as possible. What would you suggest is the best set-up for what I want? Thanks.

Backfired
02-19-2003, 08:26 PM
Hmm.. Don't know too much about your motors, but you're on the right track. You can probably pull around 5-6 psi without injectors or some kind of fuel control. You'll probably need a colder plug. I'll see if I can find any better info...

CSMsi311
02-20-2003, 12:36 AM
Unfortunately i don't have experience with a jrsc on a K20. But I've been running one on my B16 (99 Si) for over 3 years and 30K miles now. Most of that time I was running the basic kit with a larger Walbro GSS-342 fuel pump (255 lph high pressure).

My opinion
1. Definitely get a larger pump. With the higher fuel pressures you'll have to run with the FMU; the stock pump will wear itself out. Stock fuel rail and filter will be fine
2. The kit will most likely include a FMU (fuel management unit). This unit raising the fuel pressure a set amount (in psi) for every pound of boost. This allows the engine to get the extra fuel in needs while in boost.
3. Stock spark plug wires will be fine. I believe the vortech car that went around 190 mph was using honda spark plug wires.
4. You should get some copper spark plugs that are a step or two colder. Colder plugs will help minimize detonation. Most people I know use NGK plugs. and make sure you gap your plugs correctly
5. You could upgrade the ignition system but the money could be better spend elsewhere. A boost timing controller (BTC) wouldn't hurt any. A BTC will retard the ignition timing linearly with respect to pounds of boost.
6. I would highly suggest a standalone to get the most out of the jrsc. With the supplied FMU your car will be running rich and you will have a hard time tuning the car to it's potential.

I hope this information helps and is relevant for the K20A3. Like I said above this is from personal experience running 6-7 psi on a B16 engine.

I highly recommend reading "Supercharged!" by Corky Bell or "Maximum Boost" by Corky Bell (for turbos) to get a good understanding of what the supercharger actually does.

Enjoy the boost
Jason

Backfired
02-20-2003, 06:02 AM
Nice write up Jason. Fuel pump is definately a must. Is there a supercharger out yet for these cars? I cant seem to find any links.

dustinhurley
02-20-2003, 07:15 AM
if you search this forum, you will find some info about the JRSC. It isn't out yet, but there are some specs and pics released. I believe it comes out late April.

Toy2Si
02-25-2003, 03:18 PM
just emailed jackson about this, this is what they said:

It will come out at the end of this year (that is the plan at this time
at
least). Thank you. KT

Keith S. Taber
Jackson Racing / Moss Motors
Technical Service Department
Mon > Fri 8:00am - 5:00pm
taberk@mossmotors.com
888-888-4079 TollFree