PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Noise - Help Please

PogoFX
02-19-2003, 08:03 PM
Just curious if anyone has had a similar problem? My car is at the dealer for the fourth time for this noise. When driving over small bumps or uneven pavement, there is a rapid thumping noise or chattering coming from the right front wheel area. I usually only hear it at slower speeds (less road noise) and it isn't always present. It has to be the right kind of bumpiness to make it happen (if that makes sense). Just driving over a pot hole doesn't do it. It's not associated with turning the wheel or backing up. Just straight line, slow speeds, and bumps. The dealer has already replaced both front struts and are currently scratching their heads. Doesn't seem to affect performance or driveability.

I remember reading previous posts that fixed a similar problem with new grease on the upper strut end. But, that problem was associated with slow speed turns. This is not my case. I mentioned it to the dealer anyways, but they said that when they replaced the struts they would have serviced that area. Also there were posts about a popping noise when backing up for the first time and the weight of the car shifted. Also not the case with me. Everything in the wheel area is tight.

Any insight or solutions would be appreciated. The dealer has no clue. The really want to fix it though and provide overall great service.

Suk02Si
02-19-2003, 09:05 PM
check to see if your sway bar links/nuts haven't loosened up. When I reconnected my sway bar I forgot to tighten one side down completely and was making the thumping/clunking noise you are describing

PogoFX
02-19-2003, 09:14 PM
Thanks, I would have hoped they checked that. But I'll for sure have the dealer check it, since they still have my car. Any advice at this point helps.

umyen
02-05-2004, 01:18 AM
Hi, PogoFX:

My 2002 SIR is doing the same thing, have you ever found out what was the problem? I've been to the dealership many times, they're unable to locate the problem?

Thanks in advance,

VNlilMAN
02-09-2004, 04:53 PM
you on stock suspension or lowering springs? i know with lowering springs it because of the dead coils rubbing each other. I suppose this is possible with stock ones(even tho these dont have dead coils). its possible the spring isnt seated right and is rubbing against the lower perch. Try using some coil wrap. You can get it at radio shack. Basically its a rubber tube you put around the springs. It prevents metal hitting metal.

PogoFX
02-09-2004, 07:16 PM
Last time I went to the dealer, a couple of months back, they heard the noise and were determined to fix it. After going over my whole car again they said that they found a bolt on the lower control arm that was just a bit loose (like a half turn or so). They gave it a good turn and were thrilled that they had finally found and fixed the problem. I didn't get out of the parking lot on my way home before I heard it again. I'm about to take my car back to the dealer for my next oil change and I'll bring it up again. But now I'm now just resolved to live with it. I'm just tire of messing with it for now, what a bummer.

The noise started the day I got the car, everthing stock. Since then I've replaced the wheels/tires, replaced the rear sway with a Type S, and replaced the springs with some Eibach Sportlines. Each time I replaced something, I was kinda hoping that noise might luckily go away. Oh well.

If anyone has any more insight, I'd sure appreciate it.