PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading the stock stereo?

snubnose
07-28-2002, 04:21 PM
I'm thinking of upgrading the stereo in the '02 Si. I really like the elegant simplicity of the head unit, however.

So, all I wanted to do was add an amplifier and get better speakers all around.

But the stereo salesman said that the original head unit would be the "weak link" in the stereo if I left it in.

I would think that the head unit would not have that much of an effect on the sound; the amp and speakers are much more important.

In fact, may I venture to say that possibly the head unit has very little effect on the sound?

What do you think?

MagusDC5
07-28-2002, 04:29 PM
your headunit has a lot to do with the sound.

Just upgrading that you should get more out of your stock speakers.

Only reason I left mine was because I dont want some cheap bastard smashing my windows out and stealing my stuff.

SpeedRacer
07-28-2002, 04:37 PM
yea i 2nd that but also i am kinda broke and doing all the go fast mods first but after i get my headers in and my cat taken out i will start on my stereo

snubnose
07-28-2002, 04:37 PM
Thanks MagusDC5 I did not know that the head unit had such an effect on sound.

But you're right, I don't want to tempt thieves by putting a nice sound system in my car either.

iR-VTEC2
07-28-2002, 06:29 PM
I can just tell from the way that the stock head unit sounds. It has a low signal to noise ratio and the dynamic range is that good (imho)

I have been waiting for someone to make a silver installation kit otherwise itll be black and ugly!!!!!

A deck in silver would be mean

http://astralaxe.com/pics/deck.jpg

SpeedRacer
07-28-2002, 06:32 PM
just buy the black one and paint it silver. i want the really nice Alpine headunit which is silver but i cant afford it at the moment

iR-VTEC2
07-28-2002, 06:56 PM
paint it silver?!?? hehehe. If I could paint worth a shit then I probably would But..i KNOW that scratches would happen once the installation takes place. Plus i dont want to do any corner cutting like i did with my last ride.

Unless......no one ever makes a silver kit. Then ill be SOL

SmoothOperator
07-28-2002, 07:10 PM
IR-VTEC... I almost bought that same deck months before I got my car!!! Since then I've decided on keeping the deck stock. I had enough problems with my last car getting broken into.

iR-VTEC2
07-28-2002, 07:25 PM
I hear that. But......I LOVE music. It's a big part of my life and when i-Drive...i want to be enveloped in a digitally created soundfield. This is especially so for playing the JoeSatch.

I will risk intrusion for this. I'll probably have something custom made to hide it? mebbe

SmoothOperator
07-28-2002, 07:29 PM
I hear that. But......I LOVE music. It's a big part of my life and when i-Drive...i want to be enveloped in a digitally created soundfield.

Damn! Now I'm SOLD on getting a head unit! lol
Thanks for nothing!!!!

iR-VTEC2
07-28-2002, 07:38 PM
hehe DOH!

2k2civicSi
07-28-2002, 07:45 PM
guys i dont know how you didnt haer this but there making a silver dash kit it will be out in 3weeks i already preorderd it

iR-VTEC2
07-28-2002, 07:46 PM
Captain Gloval: Launch all fighters!