PDA

View Full Version : Went for a stint in the type-S...

myeverlovinsir
02-20-2003, 05:56 PM
I was doing the necessary shopping for a head swap at an Acura dealer. I had a half-hour to kill before the resident parts guru showed up from lunch and thought to test out the RSX type-S while I was waiting arround.

We went out to a secluded area and I launched it from a standstill. My car would beat it hands down. I was somewhat disapointed by the throttle response and push I felt, even after the larger lobes kicked in. I maxed out the first 3 gears before easing off. I expected more. I know that the torque on the stock type-s is lower than mine, and felt some notchyness in the gears.

Needless to say that it has more power than the base Si and if the same mods were done to it as are on mine now, it would be monsterous.

I should have pricing and timeline requirements for the head swap soon and look forward to making this happen. Finally found someone who knows what they are talking about! :D

NamingException
02-20-2003, 05:59 PM
Can't wait to hear more about this project.

Glix
02-20-2003, 06:00 PM
I think your butt dyno is way off, they are capable of running 15 flat stock and 14 flat with I/H/E + Hondata.

Unless your in the 14's with I/H/E and Hondata I seriously doubt you could hang with a well driven type-S.

civic hatch boi
02-20-2003, 06:03 PM
ive seen lower than 15 stock.

myeverlovinsir
02-20-2003, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Glix
I think your butt dyno is way off, they are capable of running 15 flat stock and 14 flat with I/H/E + Hondata.

Unless your in the 14's with I/H/E and Hondata I seriously doubt you could hang with a well driven type-S.

This is the comparison I wanted to prove to my so called "butt dyno". I have immense familiarity with my ride and felt it needed some comparison, take it for what you will, and I know that the type-S is a beast waiting for the proper mods, but a stock type-S just did not feel the way mine does, sorry.;)

btw: the stock type-s had over 10k miles on it.

IceD out N CALI
02-20-2003, 06:11 PM
even though yours has better "butt-dyno" feeling, the type S still quicker ;)

ep3guy
02-20-2003, 06:14 PM
This is the comparison I wanted to prove to my so called "butt dyno". I have immense familiarity with my ride and felt it needed some comparison, take it for what you will, but I know now that the type-S is a beast waiting for the proper mods. A stock type-S just did not feel the way mine does, sorry.;) [/B][/QUOTE]

I remember Doug from Hondata comparing dyno sheets with my car and a stock type-s. My car had way more torque and he said we should be able to keep up or beat a stock type-s. The type-s' are top end monsters though.

I'm sure your car is more powerful than mine for sure. :D

You might find some info here on the head swap or you can IM some of them if you have any quesetions:
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=408331
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=412877

B18CXr is also on this board too I think, you can probably talk to him too. He's doing the headswap right now too.

myeverlovinsir
02-20-2003, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by IceD out N CALI
even though yours has better "butt-dyno" feeling, the type S still quicker ;)

What a wonderful myth, some will disregard my comments, others will be intrigued. But all I can say is my butt-dyno extends past that. I have already proven on the dyno that I make more power than a hondata modded type-s upto 6800rpms. Not hard to surmise guys. Quickness off the line is all I am comparing, and torque wise there is no argument. Of course the hondata allows me that extended rpms, but not much power is being made after 7k, this is the only spot where the type-s may catch up. It's moot and I just wanted to say I was not as impressed as I thought I would be. Try it sometime.;)

IceD out N CALI
02-20-2003, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by myeverlovinsir

What a wonderful myth, some will disregard my comments, others will be intrigued. But all I can say is my butt-dyno extends past that. I have already proven on the dyno that I make more power than a hondata modded type-s upto 6800rpms. Not hard to surmise guys. Quickness off the line is all I am comparing, and torque wise there is no argument. Of course the hondata allows me that extended rpms, but not much power is being made after 7k, this is the only spot where the type-s may catch up. It's mute and I just wanted to say I was not as impressed as I thought I would be. Try it sometime.;)

I know i know. not trying to rain on your parade, but even with some mods like hondadata I/h/e etc. i know the type S stock still probably has us beat

ep3guy
02-20-2003, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by myeverlovinsir

What a wonderful myth, some will disregard my comments, others will be intrigued. But all I can say is my butt-dyno extends past that. I have already proven on the dyno that I make more power than a hondata modded type-s upto 6800rpms. Not hard to surmise guys. Quickness off the line is all I am comparing, and torque wise there is no argument. Of course the hondata allows me that extended rpms, but not much power is being made after 7k, this is the only spot where the type-s may catch up. It's mute and I just wanted to say I was not as impressed as I thought I would be. Try it sometime.;)

Yeah, your butt-dyno is correct.

myeverlovinsir
02-20-2003, 06:30 PM
Just wanted to add that my new ECU will be delayed by another 2 weeks... BUT, here are my thoughts.

I will delay the new ECU and ask for the type-S hondata ECU when I have the new head.

I have a month to do this as I am out of the country. I don't expect it to take that long, but as long as I am getting the new flash, why not get the REAL new flash? Doug can do this for me in short notice and would compliment me very nicely. The only other thing I would do is swap to the ITR cams and when I do, it should be just another upgrade to the ECU. Stay tuned! :D

Pradamuimui
02-20-2003, 06:41 PM
SO are you saying that the Si motor that we have with a head swap would be faster then a Si with a Type S motor?? What exactly do you have done to your car??

myeverlovinsir
02-20-2003, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Pradamuimui
SO are you saying that the Si motor that we have with a head swap would be faster then a Si with a Type S motor?? What exactly do you have done to your car??

sigh...lets not mix apples and oranges. The Si with a head swap and the mods "I" have would definitely beat a stock type-S, but forget the head swap, that's above the scope of this post. I think my current engine could make the stock type-s a vulnerable target. Thats all.;)

IceD out N CALI
02-20-2003, 06:57 PM
its all good:)

myeverlovinsir
02-20-2003, 07:00 PM
its all good:)

ditto bro.:D

Glix
02-20-2003, 07:25 PM
As soon as someone with I/H/E and Hondata makes it to the track we will know.

A stock type-S makes 160 hp at the wheels
An Si with I/H/E and Hondata makes 160 hp at the wheels.
But, they have way better gearing for drag racing.

We are definately capable of a better launch and I'm pretty sure you could hold one off through 1st and 2nd but after that it's bye bye time.

myeverlovinsir
02-20-2003, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by Glix
As soon as someone with I/H/E and Hondata makes it to the track we will know.

A stock type-S makes 160 hp at the wheels
An Si with I/H/E and Hondata makes 160 hp at the wheels.
But, they have way better gearing for drag racing.

We are definately capable of a better launch and I'm pretty sure you could hold one off through 1st and 2nd but after that it's bye bye time.

I think your right about the launch, close enough to what I say is going on...only thing I could add is that the catch up would occur at the top end of 3rd, a drivers race when all is said and done.
When I hit the top of 3rd today in the type-s I thought it was nice but nothing special. Vtec engagement in the type-s seems smoother than I expected(no abrupt jump in power) and below that it is somewhat lacking imho. I don't think anyone worth their salt would allow the stock type-s to be put to shame for very long. I/H/E on the type-s will definitely make quick work of a modded A3.;)

BlasTech
02-20-2003, 07:52 PM
Ahh, this thread reminds me of one day last June.

I knew I was going to get a new car ('car' means Honda, I've owned 4) and the new Si just looked too heavy compared to my EJ hatch.

SO I went to the Acura dealership and test drove 2 rsx's, the automatic base (I was curious about the speed-shift), the type S. It was great, but .... ehh... my socks were still on, and the price was outrageous for the car. There was a blind spot issue, the leather reeked like ass...

On the way back, we stopped at the Honda place just to look at the Si up close. I asked to test drive it, and WOW...it FEELS faster than the RSX!!! Call it savoir faire, but the Si was a fun car to drive--young at heart, and the RSX felt stuffy...and did I mention the leather reeked like ass.

I bought the Si on the spot. :D

Dunrick
02-20-2003, 08:08 PM

I know i know. not trying to rain on your parade, but even with some mods like hondadata I/h/e etc. i know the type S stock still probably has us beat

Myeverlovinsir has motor mounts and a bored out throttle body ontop of all of that i/h/e though. Motor Mounts are a huge increase in launches! He would take a stock type s from the launch pretty big, type s might catch up near the end of the 1/4

All I know is that dude (myeverlovin) needs to get to the track!

myeverlovinsir
02-20-2003, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by Dunrick

Myeverlovinsir has motor mounts and a bored out throttle body ontop of all of that i/h/e though. Motor Mounts are a huge increase in launches! He would take a stock type s from the launch pretty big, type s might catch up near the end of the 1/4

All I know is that dude (myeverlovin) needs to get to the track!

You

IceD out N CALI
02-20-2003, 08:42 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by myeverlovinsir
[B]

You

myeverlovinsir
02-20-2003, 08:57 PM

jus curious-Do you think you could hit about a 15 flat all day with what you got now?

I wonder about it all the time, and it just makes me want to get back im my car and drive it again. But to answer your question, YES! I posted this vid in another thread but it was a night run I did and I started off in second. Monitor the time and speed and you be the judge. (At approx. 13 secs I am running 90 mph starting off in second to limit wheel spin) I will get to the track when it opens but this is as close to a real time comparison I have for now and is one of the last vids I took before I left the country.

Launch from 2nd (http://www.imagestation.com/video/play.html?id=4238328483) :p

gpt
02-20-2003, 11:41 PM
myeverlovin ...... I think you need to get back in the country and working on the head swap ASAP!!! j/k ;)

Are you doing a full head swap or are you going to try swap the 'moving parts' in from a A2? Can we use our actual head?

chubbychu
02-21-2003, 12:20 AM
myeverlovinsir-
What is your avatar? im scared of it!:o

myeverlovinsir
02-21-2003, 10:48 AM
gpt, I have a guy who has a cousin in Japan. He is in the process of tracking down the type-R head for me. And yes it will swap over nicely. The trick is finding the right people to give you the right answers! The type-S head may be something of a passing thought.:D

JEDI-SI
02-21-2003, 11:33 AM
MYEVERLOVINSIR... The type-s head swap that you want to do, how much are you looking in to spending? Im pretty intrested and I have money to spend...I just need to know what parts and cost?...thanks

myeverlovinsir
02-21-2003, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by JEDI-SI
MYEVERLOVINSIR... The type-s head swap that you want to do, how much are you looking in to spending? Im pretty intrested and I have money to spend...I just need to know what parts and cost?...thanks

Ok, parts for the complete swap not including labour for the type-s head is ~3000 US if bought new form the dealer. This also includes all the necessary VTC plumbing to allow the exhaust cam to be controlled. BUT does not include the necessary upgrade to the ECU. If you want to play be prepared to spend. I choose to hunt and gather el-cheapo. As I mentioned before if it costs me more than 2k with labour, I won't do it. I also mentioned that I have some contacts searching out the type-R head install and should know more soon. Again the key is always knowing the right people and being knowledgeable enough to give them the proper direction. hth:D

modern-perf
02-21-2003, 02:12 PM
All I have to say is I LOVE the RSX-S drivetrain...but only when it's stuffed into an EP!

:D

Going to the strip this weekend...will post times Monday!

IceD out N CALI
02-21-2003, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by modern-perf
All I have to say is I LOVE the RSX-S drivetrain...but only when it's stuffed into an EP!

:D

Going to the strip this weekend...will post times Monday!

sweet, can't wait to see the times:cool:

myeverlovinsir
02-21-2003, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by plainol2k2si
myeverlovinsir-
What is your avatar? im scared of it!:o