PDA

View Full Version : 1st to 2nd gear shift sometimes not smooth...

ep pilot
02-20-2003, 09:44 PM
I have read many of posts on this board about a few of you whom have had problems with the gearbox in your Ep. I am wondering what the symptoms are? I have noticed a slight disruption on the 1st-2nd gear shift in my Ep. Sometimes it is smooth as can be, then other, otherwise when I am driving conservatively I notice a very light notch on the 1-2 up-shift, not a grind but sort of a like a notch in between 1&2nd ??? what bothers me is that I don

ADMstunna
02-20-2003, 10:41 PM
sometimes when im driving hard it just plain ol grinds on the 1-2 shift. i dunno, seems to have stoopped now though

lewjay
02-20-2003, 11:41 PM
Maybe you guys aren't revving high enough? At the very least 3K.

Brettnyt
02-20-2003, 11:52 PM
Happens to me a bit too, not as much now, but it did before. And believe me, i rev high enough.... I almost always drive quite spirited, (shifting above 5.5k) Got my car above 100 for the first time today! felt silky smooth! prolly shouldnt have done it on a lil 2 lane road tho... :o

Brettnyt
02-20-2003, 11:53 PM
Oh yeah, the shift has gotten much better too, ever since I put on my oh so heavy Sparco knob. It just falls into second, I love that knob...

lewjay
02-21-2003, 12:07 AM
How about the grip? Do you guys pistol grip or claw(palm down)?

I use the claw method and flick it down with my fingers. Not the fingertips though.

Brettnyt
02-21-2003, 12:14 AM
I use both, depends on how im driving.... Cruisin, I do the claw, Racey (thats racey, not ricey) I do the full grip...

lewjay
02-21-2003, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by Brettnyt
I use both, depends on how im driving.... Cruisin, I do the claw, Racey (thats racey, not ricey) I do the full grip... Which way's smoother?

Brettnyt
02-21-2003, 12:40 AM
Hmm... prolly when im cruisin, then im not puttin it into gear quickly, just ease her into it...

sonic imperial
02-21-2003, 07:29 AM
I'm sure you've seen a few posts where I've complained of the 1st-2nd problem. Im supposed to have the MTF changed out next week to see if that will help. My dealer is aware of the problem and they said they would keep a check on it. As long as it's not bad enough to keep me from driving the car they aren't too worried just yet. Another problem I have (and it may just be me) is that I have trouble launching smoothly from a dead stop. The car tends to stutter sometimes, kinda bogs down, even when I give it extra gas. I also here something pop or clank a little in the transmission during take-off. It's almost always been there so I can't tell if it's normal or if I have a problem. It doesn't seem to be getting any worse, just stays the same.

JSIR
02-21-2003, 07:08 PM
mine was doing it up to a month or two ago, it was very irritating and very noticeable, particularly bad in cold starts. But recently it is working better than ever, it seems to have completely disappeared on its own. I haven't changed anything either. I just turned 10,000 miles and it is now working fine. strange. I am going to change the fluid in the spring though, I like to do it at least once per year despite Honda's recommended mileage.

myeverlovinsir
02-21-2003, 07:42 PM
My tranny has become smoother. Any knotchy shifts have loosened up. I think the tolerances in tranny are built tight from the factory.:cool:

labelhunter
02-21-2003, 08:03 PM
i get that pop or clank when starting off. its only when the car is cold. Its seems to have settled. Im at 19000 miles now it happends sometimes though. but only real cold like 20F. Theres alot of snow here so the has sat for a few days but will be out again soon.

ep pilot
02-21-2003, 08:39 PM
I don't think I have grinded the tranny in any way yet since new, I have almost 5k on the clock now and am only worried about two problems. A) The aforementioned 1-2 shift, isn't as smooth as it should be, there seems to be an intermittent notch between these two points.

B) I periodically get the cold start bog that some of you speak of, only I don't just get it on cold starts. I can be driving my car for a while, either kick down (not accelerating hard) but gradually and the car will almost feel as if there is no (vtec) assist for a moment then Waaamm! It