PDA

View Full Version : who has ran out of gas?

ek9jdmhb
02-21-2003, 08:28 PM
The other day, i ran out of gas. I was only at 280 miles and i usually fill up at 320-330 miles. the strange thing was, when i went to fill up with gas, it only filled up almost 11 gallons. i thought we had a 14 gallon tank and some kind of reserve tank (whatever that is). i tried to top off the gas and it was full. what the hell? oh, and how bad is it to run out of gas engine wise. i heard that all the dirty gas is at the bottom of the tank, but isnt that what a fuel filter is for? And if we never get rid of the dirty gas, wont we just have a tank load of dirty gas? correct me if im wrong.

Peking
02-21-2003, 08:47 PM
I have never ran out of gas in any of my cars, but I have come close. Mybe this time you opened the throttle a little more than you did before. Is your car stock?

Peking
02-21-2003, 08:50 PM
Sorry didn't notice your mods. Also did you change the octane. Higher octane burns quicker. What happened after you ran out of gas. One time when I was close to running out I noticed the lights in my gauge cluster dim evertime I hit the gas.

ep pilot
02-21-2003, 10:48 PM
Havent run my tank entirely empty on the Si yet , but I did a time or two on my '98 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner, drove it for another 45k after that last time without a single problem. I think todays cars are designed to handle running the tank dry a couple times without harm, I wouldn't make it practice though.

-Ryan

ApexinSi
02-22-2003, 06:48 AM
4 times and counting. :o

ek9jdmhb
02-22-2003, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Atlas1133
Sorry didn't notice your mods. Also did you change the octane. Higher octane burns quicker. What happened after you ran out of gas. One time when I was close to running out I noticed the lights in my gauge cluster dim evertime I hit the gas.
i always run 91 octane from cheveron. anytime i use lower gas, the car has no umph in it, and plus for some rreason, my car feels alot cleaner with 91

X 2KS2K
02-22-2003, 02:15 PM
Fuel tank capacity is listed as 50L (13.2 US gal, 11.0 Imp gal). Did you fill up using "Imp gallons"? :)

Mad02Si
02-22-2003, 05:51 PM
I have got the light but never run out completly. I have this embarassment thing that I never want to be stuck on the side of the road because I didnt look at the gas hand.

bioevolve
02-22-2003, 06:34 PM
If you run the car out of gas, I recommend changing your fuel filter due to the crap you have sucked up from the bottom of the tank that the fuel screen didn't catch.