PDA

View Full Version : How far have you driven with the low gas light on?

idrive
02-21-2003, 09:53 PM
I just saw the other post about running out of gas and it got me thinking. We have a "low gas" light in our cluster... and like the subject says: how far have you driven with it on? usually its about 30miles max.
i'm still on my free tank of gas from the dealer hehe
but i usually like to wait unitl the light turns on before i actually fill 'er up.

http://idrive.aeropixel.net/ep_sig.jpg

SiRman
02-21-2003, 10:11 PM
The light comes on early, with about 10-12 litres left in the tank.

esmith13
02-21-2003, 10:11 PM
I've gone about 45mi. after the light went on...

Manual says when the light goes on, you have 3 gallons of gas left...

So if you assume you get about 24mi/gallon (not realistic, the way most of us drive), you would be able to ride 72mi after the light comes on.

If you buy the 35mi highway estimate for our cars, you would get 105mi. on the rest of your gas after the light came on!!

... Ahhhhh...

... Good to the last drop!!..

;)

anjapower
02-21-2003, 11:46 PM
I've gone 100 miles after the light. The light comes on when there's ~9.5 gallons left in the tank, and it's a 13.2 gallon tank...

03hatch
02-22-2003, 12:21 AM
i dont even want to try that..once my gas is near the bottom i fill it to the top. i think its not good for cars when the gas is low with the light on. ;)

BSEVEER
02-22-2003, 12:57 AM
I've always wondered why it is not good to drive when you are low on gas, can anyone tell me?

IceD out N CALI
02-22-2003, 02:33 AM
i've gone over 40miles no probs. wish it came on like when there was only 1 gallon left instead

03hatch
02-22-2003, 04:01 AM
Originally posted by BSEVEER
I've always wondered why it is not good to drive when you are low on gas, can anyone tell me?

what i think is that the gas in the tank drys up...like if you were to do a oil change if you dont change your oil when you need to the oil drys up then you lose gas mileage :cool:

esmith13
02-22-2003, 07:47 AM
I think it's more like, if your on a steep incline or decline with only a little gas in the tank it is possible for the injectors to hiccup on some air, as the gas moves around in the tank as gravity dictates....

... or something like that... :D

Gasp23
02-22-2003, 10:45 AM

I always fill my car up when I have a 1/4 left. I remember when my parents van just gave up in the middle of the road. I called my dad to tell me what could it been and it was the gas pump. If you let it go too low you can mess it up. So for me I always fill it up when I have 1/4 left. Just my opinon.

idrive
02-22-2003, 11:22 AM
i'm not sure about in hondas...
but in the past, old bimmers had in-tank fuel pumps that were cooled by the gas they pump. so if you got too low, your fuel pump could burn out... its a MAJOR pain in the ass to change an in-tank fuel pump.

http://idrive.aeropixel.net/ep_sig.jpg

NemesisITR
02-22-2003, 11:55 AM
I have also heard that it is bad for your fuel pump.

anjapower
02-22-2003, 12:18 PM
Well it's not a Honda, but before buying my EP, I drove a 95 Caravan (my parents' car). It had a little Distance 'Til Empty calculator in the overhead computer console. I always drove that thing until there were about 10 miles left till empty. Now the calculator wasn't extremely accurate, but it certainly was a good indicator of how much gas was left.

My parents' Caravan has 116,000 miles on it now and it runs like it did the day we bought it. Some minor issues, but certainly nothing with the fuel pump.

chakra71
02-23-2003, 09:41 AM
my girl had a 93 taurus and she would always only put like 2-3 dollars in the tank to get her to the next stop. She burned up 3 fuel pumps by doing this. Our cars do have in tank fuel pumps and they are cooled by the fuel in the tank, so when the light turns on, find a station and fill'er'up.