PDA

View Full Version : Port and polished?

JEDI-SI
02-21-2003, 10:42 PM
Can someone clue me in on the pros and cons of geting a port and polished head job? I'm trying to figure out what to do with my money..Hondata and t/b are my next mods...I know on the b16's port and polished jobs were very popular..would it benifet our cars.?...your input please...thanks

!@#$%
02-22-2003, 01:32 AM
more air flow is always a good thing for hp. People on clubrsx that have this mod claim it really wakes up their car. This is on an already wonderful flowing head. Who knows just what kind of craziness this could reap on ours that doesnt flow as well. I say get a dyno before then get a dyno after and compare. I know for a fact myeverlovin would like to know. :) as well as me

JEDI-SI
02-22-2003, 06:30 PM
Would I have to replace the camshafts??

!@#$%
02-22-2003, 11:08 PM
nothing would need to be replaced. All they would do is remove the head off of the engine....and using a dremel smooth out and maybe very slightly enlargen the outer rims for the valves and take away any imperfection from the factory that would restrict airflow. Only downside to this would be less mpg. more air = more fuel.

JEDI-SI
02-24-2003, 02:11 PM
So are you positive nothing would have to be changed? The guy's on the rsx forums were saying somthing about just getting it ported...Im still trying to fully understand port and polished...thanks

My_Blk_Si
02-24-2003, 02:48 PM
The only thing is.... you gotta pay for the port and polish and a valve job because any decent machine shop is going to remove the valves so there is no risk of damaging them. No personal experience but have read that the k20 reacts nicely to it...

JEDI-SI
02-24-2003, 06:20 PM
You see, I talked to this guy in Houston he owns a shop there called CARBOY, and has a 9 sec integra, So i figure that this guy knows what he is talking about..and he made it clear more than once that without different camshafts, the port and polished head job would make me loose power...Does any body here think differently?

myeverlovinsir
02-24-2003, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by JEDI-SI
You see, I talked to this guy in Houston he owns a shop there called CARBOY, and has a 9 sec integra, So i figure that this guy knows what he is talking about..and he made it clear more than once that without different camshafts, the port and polished head job would make me loose power...Does any body here think differently?

What they do is alow more air to pass between the valves and thier respective seats. You are able to provide more fuel/air which works well, but only work well when you have the cams to use them with. Sure a port and polish would be great, spend more on gas, but you would have the added power on demand. Don't expect drastic changes to the engines performance, I would be surprised if you found another 5 hp.

What it does do is allow your engine to run harder and draw more air/fuel efficiently. There are 2 techniques I know of to getting porting done, each are 3 sides or 5 sides of seating. Some will attest to one or the other, but these are the majority of jobs being done. I don't know any specifics of the advantages of one type to the other, but there is power gains to be had.:D

JEDI-SI
02-24-2003, 08:33 PM
So what your saying is that ...Its really not woth the money.?

Dunrick
02-24-2003, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by myeverlovinsir

Don't expect drastic changes to the engines performance, I would be surprised if you found another 5 hp.

.:D

True, about 5hp on a stock engine with minor modifications - lets say you get the port/polish job done on one car then add turbo to the same car vs another si w/ just a turbo (same turbo kit) you will see probably MORE than 5 hp gains for sure...Its like when you have a intake and header, then add exhaust, it just opens up a lot more. Certain mods will compliment other mods later on. Port/Polish is definantly one. Granted you have to have stuff to work with the new port/polish. Bottomline - dont do it unless you want to do some serious work to your car....it is fairly expensive, but then again, if your going all N/A --- you will probably eventually do it if you are serious. just my $.02

Tekdemon
02-24-2003, 11:49 PM
Port/Polish and other stuff like balancing aren't as important in an unmodded engine, but when you have a big turbo setup going on, they will yield much better gains because that's when it starts mattering...

Balancing should make the engine more easily tunable since the air and fuel will be more balanced in all the cylinders...I think

95 GSR
02-25-2003, 12:06 AM
p&p on a head with stock cams and stock valves will barly get u no more then 4-5hp like myeverlovinsir said. Even if the head is port and a bigger TB is installed, the valve holes(that the air passes thro) still remine the same size. Unless u get bigger valves or an aggressive camshaft u wont feel a much difference. On B series motor some people actually lost bottom end power, but gained a lil on top end. IMO, if ur gonna go with a P&P, just do everything at once, (TB, cams, springs, valves retainers) u will see a HUGE difference. Think about it if u go everyone thing one by one, how much extra labor/money u gonna waste. I say , save it and do it at once.

JEDI-SI
02-25-2003, 08:27 PM
So would you guy's say it's worth the money?

Dunrick
02-25-2003, 09:57 PM
Yes its worth it if your going to do some serious engine work

No its not worth it if your just going to have i/h/e

CRV440
02-26-2003, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by JEDI-SI
So are you positive nothing would have to be changed? The guy's on the rsx forums were saying somthing about just getting it ported...Im still trying to fully understand port and polished...thanks

From the pages of Overboost.com:

"Incorrect Term: "Port and Polish"
Correct Term: Port Work

Even though reputable head porters don't really polish the interior walls of cylinder head ports and manifold runners any more, the term "port and polish" has weathered nearly every single automotive enthusiast for the past 50 years. The National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics (NACA) discovered that a polished surface will not allow air to flow over it as quickly or as smoothly as a pitted surface. The reasons why still aren't fully understood, but they are understood well enough that ultra-smooth surfaces are a big no-no when it comes to compressible fluid dynamics. If you get a cylinder head back from your port shop and the port surfaces aren't finished to a mirror-shine, you're probably in good hands.

Know what else? NACA developed a particular type of intake duct for use in piston-powered airplanes in the early 1900's. Since no one really cared to select a term to describe this type of duct, the National Aeronautics Advisory Committee selected the name for them - the NACA duct."

hth:)

danoonez
11-03-2003, 03:29 PM
Even though reputable head porters don't really polish the interior walls of cylinder head ports and manifold runners any more, the term "port and polish" has weathered nearly every single automotive enthusiast for the past 50 years. The National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics (NACA) discovered that a polished surface will not allow air to flow over it as quickly or as smoothly as a pitted surface. The reasons why still aren't fully understood, but they are understood well enough that ultra-smooth surfaces are a big no-no when it comes to compressible fluid dynamics. If you get a cylinder head back from your port shop and the port surfaces aren't finished to a mirror-shine, you're probably in good hands.

Do you have any idea what year this report was released. I'm planning on doing a physics investigation project concerning this and it would be helpful to have the original report. http://naca.larc.nasa.gov/

BlasTech
11-03-2003, 03:58 PM
If you're into physics and hondas, be sure to check this guy out: http://www.theoldone.com

danoonez
11-03-2003, 04:26 PM
Oh sweet! Thanks a lot--yeah I'm pretty big into physics and Hondas. I'm hoping to use my physics degree to progress to a masters in mechanical engineering and eventually have a job for Honda...thats why I'm planning to do all my phsyics investigations throughout college on one part or another of Honda engines. I'm gonna use all my knowledge on my own car too, so I'll be sure to post dyno graphs comparing the stock setup to the engine after I do my port work...I just wish I could find that NACA report-there's so many reports to go through on that site.

Zero Three Si
11-03-2003, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by CRV440
From the pages of Overboost.com:

"Incorrect Term: "Port and Polish"
Correct Term: Port Work

Know what else? NACA developed a particular type of intake duct for use in piston-powered airplanes in the early 1900's. Since no one really cared to select a term to describe this type of duct, the National Aeronautics Advisory Committee selected the name for them - the NACA duct."

hth:)

This guy rocks!!! Very informative write up man! These kind of write ups make me proud to be part of EPHATCH.COM

2k2ep
11-04-2003, 11:50 AM
I think the gains are worth it if you know what you want for your car and understand the tradeoff's. There are plenty of little things you can do but the trade usually will be <tq for >hp. Get a honda builder guide at a bookstore they only cover b series but you can still get a good idea for how it works and some stuff you can do.

NemesisITR
11-05-2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by BlasTech
If you're into physics and hondas, be sure to check this guy out: http://www.theoldone.com

I met that guy at the Starbucks I hangout at. He has a badass 97 ITR with a turboed B20-Vtech motor. If you want someone to build you an engine go to this guy and his shop Endyne.

Hatch02SI
01-28-2004, 09:59 PM
think about a port/polish with toda cams :)

YooShin
01-28-2004, 10:22 PM
This is a trick a lot Mustang and Camaro folks go with because the stock heads on those cars have more imperfections from the factory. I know that Mustang 5.0 can gain any where from 20-100 hp just from messing a head's flow. Honda intake manifolds and heads are known for there almost "flawless "machinery and an extrude and hone will, again as others have stated, work best on a heavily modified engine. See it more as an effeciency gain than an raw horse power gain. Again as already stated, that's why a complete cam set up usually is done in tandem with a port and polish or extrude & hone. Check out the Bullfrog kits by GUDE. I know they make tons of stuff for the Bs and Hs but I'm not sure about the Ks.
http://www.gude.com/ (http://)

mrfixit687
01-28-2004, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by Tekdemon
Balancing should make the engine more easily tunable since the air and fuel will be more balanced in all the cylinders...I think

lol :)

rs_1101
01-29-2004, 02:27 AM
ima make this quick and dirty:

port: yes, even tho the head is well matched

polish: no, smoove surfaces dont flow as well

the valve job is the big one here, thats where most of the power comes from, however its also the most expensive part of this

k20beast
01-29-2004, 02:38 AM
DONT DO IT!!!!!!! my friend did it to his ep he did gain a little in his low end but his lost alot more high end.... when he races on the freway his 3rd gear pull is the same as my 4th gear pull and im stock... imo not worth the loss... now he is rebuilding his motor... he lost to a stock ep 2 times durring a drag...

Hatch02SI
01-29-2004, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by k20beast
DONT DO IT!!!!!!! my friend did it to his ep he did gain a little in his low end but his lost alot more high end.... when he races on the freway his 3rd gear pull is the same as my 4th gear pull and im stock... imo not worth the loss... now he is rebuilding his motor... he lost to a stock ep 2 times durring a drag...

What mod's does the kid have to back up the p & p... Is it the stock head? and since there really are no mod's for the ep... He would loose... Unless he was boosted like everyone said it would have really no affect... Cam's and a2 head would make a diff.

BSEVEER
01-29-2004, 09:54 AM
I think I remember reading here that our head is already pretty clean from the factory so gains are minimal compared to p&p on older american heads that have more imperfections.

k20beast
01-30-2004, 12:25 AM
my friend has a injen cai and exhaust... he is rebuilding now that he got sponsered by weapon r... the sri from them is making more power than his cai... he is going to be turbo'd hopeyfuly by the end of this month and its the stock a3 head