PDA

View Full Version : Scrath removal help.

ChapSchtick
02-22-2003, 01:21 PM
ok fellas, I need your help here. Somehow I managed to get a pretty good sized scrath on the front left fender of my beauty. It's fairly deep as such when you rub you finger acrossed it you can feel it real good. What is the best method for repair? Try some touch-up paint and polishing compound to blend? Let me know guys because I simply can't have that blemish there.

I have attached a picture for you to evaluate.

X 2KS2K
02-22-2003, 02:00 PM
thoroughly clean the area with some alcohol. thin down some touchup paint and apply it with a toothpick (or better yet, a syringe if you have one). apply as many coats as needed to fill, trying not to get any outside of the scratch. polish and buff the hell out of it and put some good wax on.

good luck man, i know exactly how you feel.

Brettnyt
02-22-2003, 11:09 PM
Owee! Nice scratch ya got there! What happened? I got a nice dent in my door the other day... opened it right into a scooter, scrathed the paint and dimpled a bit... I HATE DIMPLES! how can i get rid of a tiny one? I just cant stand seein my reflection in the door, with another little distorted reflection of me right on the dimple... Im gunna use a pinch of touch up paint and see how it turns out... Good luck with yours Chap! Ur EP was my desktop for quite some time!

-Brett

ChapSchtick
02-23-2003, 01:49 AM
thanks Brett, if and when I get this worked out I will post pics of the completed project.

BarracksSi
06-12-2003, 07:01 AM
*bump*

I'm hoping to repair some bumper scratches myself, so I want to know how things went.

dupmaronew
06-14-2003, 12:12 PM
I dono what happend but somehow I got two scratches on each side right by the end of my hood. Im bout to try to fixem up so let us know how it goes.

bao_pay
06-21-2003, 11:34 AM
I had a couple of scratches on my car. they were no where as deep as the ones you posted but I used meguiars scratch X. Damn that stuff is wicked. After i used that I put on eagle one wet wax and it was gone. It's not as easy as it sounds because i was sitting on my driveway for a good hour and change trying to rub out the scratches. Try it out. This stuff really works but I don't know about a deep scratch like that. I have a spot that the scratch x couldn't get out of so I'm gonna get some touch up paint, leave a bit on there and then scratch x it to match. In any case, its been a week since the last post here so I'm interested in finding out how yours turned out. Good luck!

tony speed
06-23-2003, 09:24 AM
grr....i got impatient applying touch up paint this weekend and now it looks blotchy.......:( ...i wonder if i should try to scrape of the paint with a razor and redo it...

BarracksSi
06-23-2003, 02:27 PM
Try sanding -- very carefully. You can start off somewhat coarse, and eventually finish with a super-ultra-mega-fine grit paper (it'll feel a lot like plain paper).

Make it shiny with Scratch-X or something similar, and you're on your way.

Links I found --
http://mkiv.com/faq/sean_body.htm
http://www.platz.com/pca/germany/blatt/Blatt%207.htm

tony speed
06-23-2003, 03:18 PM
thank you very much!!!!!!!

Team
06-26-2003, 10:26 PM
Well if its in your finder and you can see metal I would advise taking it to a body shop to get it repaired on the count of rust, if its in your bumper I would still advise taking it to a shop coming from myself being a body man, yeah your probably thinking "there going to charge me out the ass" but in all honesty touch up paint is not going to salve the problem 100%, hopefully I helped in giving my 0.02 cents

Adam

staticflo
07-15-2003, 09:51 PM
my car was keyed and a buddy of mine owns a detail shop i took it to him and he sanded and buffed out the key marks for $50, even got out a big scratch on my moms izuzu trooper, my advice take it to a professional and just pay to have it fixed, IMO not worth using scratch X, a little to much pressure with that stuff can leave even nastier marks.........just my $.02

EDITED: for grammer..