PDA

View Full Version : Progress spring Install *lots of pix*

jo3y
02-22-2003, 08:36 PM
Ok I finally installed my springs, I did them myself including the spring compression. It took me about 6 hours. All the shops around here wanted around $420 for springs alignment & camber. F that, i spent 40 on a spring compression tool, and 5 dollars on synthetic grease. Oh yeah i added about 1/12 of a square foot of vinyl to my car. Its in the last pic, give me your thoughts. Oh yeah i did the tinted side markers too. I decided not to get the camber kit yet because it starting snowing hard here and the freeways are like snow rally tracks :) The negative camber works nice in the snow. :angel:

I just went and did about a 20 mile drive in this 3-6 inches of wet snow coming down. I blew by a wrx on the freeway, i think i was just more insane them him though. Anyway im having fun with my progress setup but i cant wait for summer. I looked at my K&N and it was half covered with ice!

If anyone needs to know info about the progress install id be glad to help. Later

XspeedSi02
02-22-2003, 08:51 PM
Lets see some pics in daylight of the fenders up close to see the gap. Its hard to see it in the last pic because its so dark. :rolleyes:

HondaMan
02-22-2003, 09:07 PM
Sweet...Congrats! I really like my Progress springs too. Did you use my spring install "How To"? :D

jo3y
02-22-2003, 09:58 PM
yeah i had your 'how-to-install' open on the computer while i was doing it. You have good pix already about the install, i tried to capture the differences from stock to progressive. Oh yeah i learned a method to pop the steering rod ends fast. Put pressure on the ball joint forcing it up, next tap on the Strut arm (not the bolt!) and it will pop out very eaisly

HondaMan
02-22-2003, 10:47 PM
Coolness! :)

02SilverSiHB
02-23-2003, 12:35 AM
good job! nice choice in springs :D

Makross
02-23-2003, 01:07 AM
nice pics lets see some daylight pics btw lookin good :D

jo3y
02-23-2003, 10:33 PM
ok i didnt get an alignment yet or deal with the rear camber issue. However i took it on the freeway today (no snow) and it drove completely straight and the steering whell is still dead on. I know the backs will wear uneven w/o a camber kit, but what can happen if i dont get it aligned? I mean it sure doesnt feel like i need an alignment.

Suk02Si
02-24-2003, 01:20 AM
in the second pic I see that your drive shaft has been pulled out, any trouble getting it back in?

jo3y
02-24-2003, 09:44 AM
I pulled the driveshafts out on both sides, the drivers (first) was easy to get back in. The passenger (second) was a bitch! I had to line it up and place it back in before putting the strut assembley back in place.

motomoron
02-24-2003, 11:47 AM
Glad you dig 'em. I love mine. I used Koni adjustables, and Ingalls adjustable rear upper control arms. If you buy Ingalls, buy rubber bushings rather than urethane, as the urethane ones squeek like a bastard, and I've tried everything to get them to stop. On a semi-related note, I drove the car with the stock wheels for the first time since the install with the stock wheels and rubber (instead of 17" Rota subzeros and Kumho 712s in 205/45-17) and found that the ride was pretty close to stock, and if I dialed the shocks softer, could be nearly stock. Most of the harshness is the stiffer sidewalls on the tires. I think the Si would have been rated much higher in magazine comparisons if it'd come with real tires...

IceD out N CALI
02-24-2003, 05:51 PM
nice install:)