PDA

View Full Version : Audio Upgrades?

SpacemanSpiff
06-17-2002, 02:09 PM
Has anyone started to upgrade their stereo yet? I usually use Crutchfield to see what will fit, but they haven't added the SI yet.:confused:

Mulder
06-17-2002, 08:19 PM
I personally haven't upgraded the system yet. But I have heard it's kinda a pain in the arse to get to the front speakers, the door panels have to come off. I am thinking about an amplified sub to add to the stock system.

2k2civicSi
06-18-2002, 12:57 PM
sup i have put a new system in my civic dont do it it cost alot of money to get the dash custom cut they dont have a dash kit for the new civics yet my advice is to wait till they do if you want pics use aim gunrunnerpl im in ATL i can send you pics on monday

IceD out N CALI
06-18-2002, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by Mulder
I personally haven't upgraded the system yet. But I have heard it's kinda a pain in the arse to get to the front speakers, the door panels have to come off. I am thinking about an amplified sub to add to the stock system.

How do u add an amplified sub to the stock system??

xlr8
06-19-2002, 05:11 PM
most amps have what i think is called high pass inputs. that is where you wire in the stock system wiring. im not excectly sure how you wire it, it should say in any manual that would come with the amp

rocket_civic
06-19-2002, 09:57 PM
I had my whole stereo system waranteed and the speakers in the fron are a BITCH to get out. nad all they do is clip in lol, thats it no screw no nothing.

SiCivic2k2
06-19-2002, 11:02 PM
I took my car to a local Mobile One and they installed a 250 watt Kenwood amp and 200 watt Rockford Fosgate sub with no problem. Only paid $300 for it and it sounds pretty good. I have stock speakers and head unit too. No problems yet. The hatch makes the speaker sound really well.

02TafWhtSi
06-22-2002, 10:17 AM
I purchased a new Pioneer head unit only to find out no install kit is avail now. However a call over to Scosche (1-800-363-4490) allowed me to pre-order a paint matching install kit for the new Si which is supposed to ship around July 2nd. They are going for $25 plus shipping. I'll let you know how it looks and fits when I get it in there.

IceD out N CALI
06-22-2002, 10:57 AM
coolio

EL-DOG
06-26-2002, 11:08 AM
I installed my kenwood reciever , I used my install kit from my 2001 civic , sanded it and painted it to match the dash .. it doesnt fit perfectly but it doesnt look bad. The radio harness was the same as my 2001 civic.. Im going to use this set up until the right install kit is available.. I will post pics soon..

02TafWhtSi
06-26-2002, 06:51 PM
EL - call Scosche (1-800-365-4490) to order their new 2002 Si kit. It goes for $25 plus shippiing and matches our aluminum colored dash. You can pre-order it now and they will ship it around July 3rd when it officially comes out.

SiCivic2k2
06-27-2002, 12:17 AM
EL DOG What's up? You live in Houston too? I've never seen you? Where do you hang out? Maybe we can hook up some time?

02CivicSI-VTEC
07-02-2002, 01:14 PM
well so far after buying my car on april... like around the 3rd day I putted 2 12in hx2 rockford punch with 2 BIgG apline amps.....and im still running on a stock deck cuz i dont wanan change the deck it .. it still look pretty clean to me..and i changed the rear speaker to apline...and all i need now is to change the front speaker.... well im having trouble taking out the door....=( i need help cuz now my fronts speaker are hella weak cuz it not amped.... and other thing... how do u take the stock deck out?? cuz i need to do rewireing so that my front speaker will be louder and amped.

DynaSpeed
07-02-2002, 08:06 PM
I can install a complete system except for 1 thing that *always* gives me trouble. Where did you go through the firewall for the 4 ga. or whatever you used for 12v to the amps? I looked all over the place and the only grommets I can see that go into the firewall seem like they only will allow whatevers already going into them.

Pleeeeze Help... I gotta get this system outta there. :)

Jesse02SI
07-08-2002, 09:18 AM
Hey all they do make a dash kit for our cars its a little pricey though I put my 2 12" fosgates with a fosgate 160 amp. And sony explode head unit and mids. in the front. sounds KILLER LOUD as apache gunfire at 2am... but thinkin about goin down to 1 JL audio 15 w-10 to save weight..... power to weight is the GAME.... later all

SpacemanSpiff
07-08-2002, 09:43 AM
Hey Jesse, where can we find the dash kit?

DynaSpeed
07-08-2002, 10:29 AM
So Jesse,

How did you run your 12v lead through the firewall to your amps?

EL-DOG
07-08-2002, 10:34 AM
Please post the link for the right dash kit ...or give us a number to call price does not matter...

02CivicSI-VTEC
07-08-2002, 11:08 PM
well 1st of all... how did you guys get the door panel out? and how in the world do i take the speaker in front out... well im planning to run the front speaker to the amp. SO far cant seem to take the speaker out... how did u wired ur front speaker back to the amp?

Jesse02SI
07-09-2002, 07:09 AM
Well unfortunately all I am NOT stereo nor mechanically inclined sO I pay people to install my thought of evil modifications..

I will post either phone number or website and maybe even the price by this evening I have to stop by the shop.....

Later
Jesse

2k2civicSi
07-09-2002, 09:41 PM
what size are the rear speakers i want new ones also if the front speakers are in with clips not screws how can i put new ones in???

Silver '02 Si
07-17-2002, 08:22 PM
to get this done i took a 4 ga. cable and a wire hanger...next go up under drivers side dash...there is a hole on the kick panel near footrest...take that hanger and carefully wiggle it through to the front of the car...it will appear between the fender and the engine compatment...trust me, no easy task but it works...but it hides just about all of the cable...the hard part is all the plastics that need to be removed on the way to the hatch...good luck.

02CivicSI-VTEC
07-19-2002, 12:49 AM
HAHAHAH i did that too with my wireing..... right now the front are not wired to the amp...and i dont wanna mess with the door panel cuz i already fucked up =( is there a safer way to open the panel??

Silver '02 Si
07-19-2002, 12:56 AM
yes there is....first of all, if you are going to amplify your stock door speakers, tap into your wiring harness for the deck...repeat: the deck not the car...take your harness from deck, wire to harness adapter, cap off speaker outputs from deck and run your wire from the adapter to the amp. any???? simple stuff really, just need to know the short cuts!!! good luck, let me know if any more ???

02CivicSI-VTEC
07-19-2002, 01:01 AM
well yeah i already know that.. but the thing is that when i try to open the deck , i mean the dash... there one srew that was tighten very hard and every time i tryed it kills the head.=( im affaird i might warn out the head....

02CivicSI-VTEC
07-19-2002, 01:02 AM
OH yeah, if ya lookin for the dash kit they are selling it at BestBuy....i got mine from there

Silver '02 Si
07-19-2002, 01:06 AM
thanks for the best buy tip...on the "head" is that the deck or the screw head? screws no biggie but yeah the more you take the deck in and out the higher the risk of damage. hope no deck damage yet............p.s. is that the specific Civic Si dash kit? what'd it cost ya?

02CivicSI-VTEC
07-19-2002, 01:06 AM
HElp ... how do u install a capacitor?? and wut good will it do? will it give me more power for the bass ?? i have 2 caps and iono if i really needed 2??

so far this is wut i have
2 apline amps.. Last yrs model
2 12in Rockford fosgate HEX2
2 6,5 APline speaker in the rear...
and 2 caps 1.0 Farad 20 volt surge

02CivicSI-VTEC
07-19-2002, 01:09 AM
well actually my friend went to best buy the other day and asked for a head kit for 01 civic...and he asked them if they had it for the new SI and they said they did.... and iono how much it cost...
im not planning to change my head yet... i wanna leave it stock.. so pplz wont steal my shit..

Silver '02 Si
07-19-2002, 01:14 AM
positive battery terminal to positive cap terminal, negative cap terminal to chassis ground. positive cap teminal to positive amp term. amp groung to chassis ground...to link two caps together, run positive batt. to positive cap 1, neg. cap 1 to pos. cap 2 neg cap 2 to chassis ground. make sure to use resistor to charge caps if not "smart" caps...1000 watts per 1 farad cap...if more than 1000 watts use both.

Silver '02 Si
07-19-2002, 01:17 AM
you runnig all this from the stock head unit? if so do you have a converter for the spk. to rca change?

02CivicSI-VTEC
07-19-2002, 02:02 AM
well i do have the RCA convertor.. i tapped in to the rear speaker that is how i run my amps.... but the thing is that the fronts are not amped it is still stock... only if i could get in to the head unit and disconnect the fronts and combine it to the read then it will be amped but im having trouble opening the screw on the bottom of the lighter.. is that how u get to the head unit or is there another way?

Silver '02 Si
07-19-2002, 04:13 PM
Actuall no, first you remove your shifter knob...push down on the shift boot to disconnect the boot from the knob...then stick your fingers down inside where the shift boot is and snap the lower portion of the lower (silver or carbon fiber) center of the dash...the next part is a little tricky but not too bad...open glove box and remove stoppers to allow box to drop away from dash...next remove fuse box cover (under drivers side dash near diagnostics port)...these steps allow access to the two screws that hold the center (radio,ac,etc.) dash portion in...if you look in the hole where the shifter dash panel was you will see two screws at a 45* angle on the sides of metal center bracket, pointing towards the door...loosen those do not remove...makes life easier when putting unit back in...do your buisness and repeat steps in reverse order...good luck on your install...any??? let me know or e-mail me directly...

02CivicSI-VTEC
07-20-2002, 03:38 PM
MAn that look hella hard ......=( iono if i wanna mess around like that hahha... but thank... heheh i'll try it some other time hehe

chadsolomon
07-22-2002, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by SiCivic2k2
I took my car to a local Mobile One and they installed a 250 watt Kenwood amp and 200 watt Rockford Fosgate sub with no problem. Only paid $300 for it and it sounds pretty good. I have stock speakers and head unit too. No problems yet. The hatch makes the speaker sound really well.

I'd love to do that-did they cut and mount on the 'parcel shelf'? or is it a box in the trunk?

SiCivic2k2
07-22-2002, 12:58 PM
No, it's just in a box in the trunk. Check in the members rides section for a picture of it.

chadsolomon
07-23-2002, 10:58 AM
Well, what do you think about using the hatch trunk as the enclosure and mounting the sub on the 'parcal' shelf? The trunk is small enough as it is without adding a huge tube...

SLOlife
07-23-2002, 11:09 AM
You are going to try to mount an infinite bafle in a hatch? To make an ib sound good you have to seperate the front soundwaves fomr the back. To do this you have to have a realy well built vehicle or alot of reinforcement.

The only ib setups that sound really good is when it is in a luxury car on the parcel shelf, already have a godd seperatefd trunk.

For example my friend had a 95 325is, the trunk was seperated by a huge metal plate from the factory. He then added dynamat to that and mounted the IDMAX to the parcel shelf with a custom baffle. The trunk and interior had no passage for sound/air at all. His setup sounded really good.

Rmember that if you go with ib you lose ALOT of power handling and are limited to a few speakers.