PDA

View Full Version : k20a VS k20a2

redronin22
02-23-2003, 08:55 AM
what are the big differences between these two engines and is the price worth the difference? Also if u do a swap with either of these engines will it be smog'able in SO. CAL?

Mad02Si
02-23-2003, 10:34 AM
You get the K20a2 you have an enigine that should pass smog cause it's from the Rsx type S, The K20a is from the JDM Integra and you could have issues due to emission standards being less strict over there. If I had the cash I would just get the K20a cause most place that are selling them have them for only a few hundred more than the K20a2's. I would worry about emission later. But then again I'm in Wisconsin not Cali.. 200hp or 220 hp.
You could always make up that other 20 hp with cams, i/h/e, ecu Flash. But after all that you could have just got the Type R motor. Just my .02 cents.

S2KplusSI
02-23-2003, 09:34 PM
Where could I get a K20A for only a few hundred dollars more than an A2? The A2 is approximately $3500 and the cheapest I've seen the K20A is $5500! Please let me know.

IceD out N CALI
02-23-2003, 09:53 PM
in addition to the above mentioned, the k20a requires like 99 octane gas, k20a2 only 91octane gas

S2KplusSI
02-23-2003, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by IceD out N CALI
in addition to the above mentioned, the k20a requires like 99 octane gas, k20a2 only 91octane gas
It technically can run on 91 octane gas, it's high-compression engine still won't knock on 91 octane, but the ECU likes to have the higher octane stuff in order to make the power.

SIborland
02-24-2003, 07:03 AM
Yeah the R motor will give you more power off the bat, but you will run into more headaches....such as smog and the whole octane problem. Best bet would be to buy the A2 and just get cams and all that jazz.

My_Blk_Si
02-24-2003, 03:06 PM
IMO, the a2 is going to cause less headaches...
it's easier to get a hold of... parts are easier to come by... being a us spec motor... and i have to agree with S2KplusSi... the price difference between the two is more than a couple hundred dollars.

IceD out N CALI
02-24-2003, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by SIborland
Yeah the R motor will give you more power off the bat, but you will run into more headaches....such as smog and the whole octane problem. Best bet would be to buy the A2 and just get cams and all that jazz.

yup, i agree

2k2_nbp_egg
02-24-2003, 06:56 PM
yeah....i mean...you can say that an A2 w/ bolt ons and a flash are gonna be less of a pain in the ass, but if you had all that power off the bat and then did that on top imagine what you would have. A flashed, cammed, bolt on K20A would be the sexy. With the real 600~ motor mounts and race gas and proper skillz i could see a low 13 w/ ease. Low 13 from a naturally aspirated 2 liter engine in damn near full interior trim. I'd like to see that from a B series w/ as little work :)

1FstBlk02Si
02-24-2003, 07:08 PM
Ok this is what I would do....don't mess witht the motor...just put a cute little turbo on there...maybe some N20 if u want...no swappy...too much money for too little horsies.

SIborland
02-25-2003, 08:06 AM
It really all depends on what kind of person you are. If you like F/I stay with the A3. If you want all motor then go A2. If money isn't an object and you want to go N/A then go with the R motor.

95 GSR
02-25-2003, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by 2k2_nbp_egg
yeah....i mean...you can say that an A2 w/ bolt ons and a flash are gonna be less of a pain in the ass, but if you had all that power off the bat and then did that on top imagine what you would have. A flashed, cammed, bolt on K20A would be the sexy. With the real 600~ motor mounts and race gas and proper skillz i could see a low 13 w/ ease. Low 13 from a naturally aspirated 2 liter engine in damn near full interior trim. I'd like to see that from a B series w/ as little work :)

You saying "i'd like to see that from a b series" like they arent already in the 13s with as little work. flashed cammed, bolt on B18c can also do (and has been doin) 13s.

2k2_nbp_egg
02-25-2003, 03:20 PM
ghey double post

2k2_nbp_egg
02-25-2003, 03:36 PM
Ehh, yea i guess that was an unthoughtful quote...i meant to say previous gen Sis and GSRs. I guess the point im really getting at here is that the K series is better than the B series. Its a topic thats been beaten to death over on clubrsx, and the only real advantage the B has over the K is credibility from being out for so long and being a little cheaper. In a couple years, the K series will have so much going for it, that itll make rebuilt B series engines for 3k look measly.

Anyway, yea I guess the B series can get into the 13s in the right body frame with the right engine for little work (B18C5 in an EG hatch with bolt ons), but i was implying the previous gen Sis and GSRs getting 13s from just as little work, because that really wont happen, even with an engine and tranny swap. The new generation hondas, even with the added weight of a nicer interior and a larger engine, are capable of low 13s w/ a swap and small bolt ons, and the aftermarket hasnt even uncorked all of the K series potential...like it has the b series. Im positive you could get into the 13s w/ a juiced B series, but thats a completely different topic.

p.s. its monthly, not monthy

95 GSR
02-25-2003, 05:20 PM
i agree with u but it will be a couple of years before the K series can be on top. They just need time to develope. IIMO, K20a with bolt ons and flash you should be looking at high 13s (maybe mid 13s if ur lucky).

P.S. its a typo, guess u should shoot me for spelling it wrong.

2k2_nbp_egg
02-25-2003, 06:17 PM
Hehe sorry, it was in your sig and it kinda bothered me.

Anyway, the K20A2 in a type S has proven itself to be capable of high 13s w/ a reflash and basic modifications and skills...and i can see it being a mid 13 sec car w/ cams, so i would assume that an engine w/ 20 more BHP from the start would be able to get into the low 13s. What are the primary differences between the K20A2 and the K20A anyone? Im guessing maybe slightly higher compression and various internal parts such as cams?

redronin22
02-25-2003, 07:42 PM
since i live in CA i think ill stick with a k20a2. dont want to risk not being able to smog my car. Besides jackson racing has a wicked S/C kit for the a2 and with hondata tuning, it can hit 250 whp
=-)